Filter sock for Sump Question

FrontosaTony

I have a 30 gal  sump on my 120 gal tank and Im looking to put a filter sock on it.

My plan was to use a nylong an rubber band but I have not done that yet.

Do people use filter socks?

Any recommendation on what kind / where to buy them?

Do you rotate them?

How often tdo you clean them?

What kind of connection to the outlet?

Thanks

Tony

I have been using filter socks on my 120g for about 2-3 months now and I notice a big difference in water clarity. I have 4-5 4" round socks in rotation and change it up every 5 days or so. I clean them by soaking in a very mild bleach water overnight and spraying them down really well. Make sure the socks are dry before reusing. 

I also rotate (4) 4" socks.  I have a mix of 100 micron and 200 micron.  I just sit them in a 4" PVC drilled with holes and the socks fit nicely on top and the overflow just drains in the sock.  I did the PVC to keep the sock from interfering with my skimmer...

i use the felt sock, keep 3 in rotation and as far as holding them on...look at the brs dual size sock holder..it helps, but if not just use a zip tie or something else plastic...a rubber band is a pain,lol

also, i throw my dirty filter socks in my washer on bright white clean,lol

just a cap of bleach and hot water cleans them really well...let them air dry and your good...thats why i keep 3 or 4 in rotation..then washing 2 or 3 at a time is easy...

I use 4" 100 micron nylon mesh socks.  They are much easier to clean than the felt imo.  Debatable if they perform as well as felt.

Sine you asked where to buy them I know Quantum sells both felt and nylon and every online retailer that I know of sells them.

Shoot I put them in the dryer. Is it unsafe to use for the tank now?

Naah - I've been bleaching them in the washer and drying them in the dryer for years.

• 4 weeks later...

I have a 30 gal  sump on my 120 gal tank and Im looking to put a filter sock on it.

My plan was to use a nylong an rubber band but I have not done that yet.

Do people use filter socks?

Any recommendation on what kind / where to buy them?

Do you rotate them?

How often tdo you clean them?

What kind of connection to the outlet?

Thanks

Tony

I use a 100 micron sock followed by a 50 micron sock.  They are made of felt with plastic rings and have a strap to hang them.  I bought them in bulk in ten packs from CustomAquatic.com.  I've been using them for years, and rotate them every three to four days.  The more you have, the less you clean; plus you probably want to have enough to wash at one time.  Ten socks at three day intervals is good for a month. I built a box out of black acrylic for the sock to stand in. The box sits under the pvc return to my sump, and has baffles and an outflow area. The sock hangs off the pvc returns but is inside the box.

• 2 weeks later...

I used 1 couple for about a month and noticed that when I fed my fish if they weren't quick enough to eat, the food was immediately sucked down my overflow into the filter sock where it remained trapped. This caused me to feed more so that my fish would have a chance to eat. I removed them and although my water was noticeably clearer with the socks I prefer not to use filter socks. Just my preference.

I do not use socks. They definitley make the water look very clear BUT filter feeders need a lot of the particles in the water and I have tons of filter feeders.

I do not use socks. They definitley make the water look very clear BUT filter feeders need a lot of the particles in the water and I have tons of filter feeders.

+1

You guy dont use a feed cycle?

Are you referring to a automatic feeder? If so, I do not. I enjoy feeding my fish manually. If I go on vacation I will use one depending on how long I'm gone. 

Are you referring to a automatic feeder? If so, I do not. I enjoy feeding my fish manually. If I go on vacation I will use one depending on how long I'm gone. 

he's referring to shutting down your return pump (most of the newer DC pumps have a "feed cycle" button that shuts them down for 10-30 minutes) so that you can feed and not have the food do down the drains/overflow to the socks and fish and your filter feeders you are concerned about all get a chance at food for a nice long while while it circulates in the water column.

i use them because they keep detritus out of the sump and helps keep the water clearer.  Socks are necessarily going to inhibit filter feeding (unless you use really small micron socks). 

I use 100 and 200 micron nylon socks and I rotate them.  I have accumulated quite a few over the years.  I toss the used ones into a covered container, then when I need more, toss them in the washing machine with a little bleach (2x rinse cycle) and then let them air dry.  Very easy.  I just have to remember to change them. :wacko:

he's referring to shutting down your return pump (most of the newer DC pumps have a "feed cycle" button that shuts them down for 10-30 minutes) so that you can feed and not have the food do down the drains/overflow to the socks and fish and your filter feeders you are concerned about all get a chance at food for a nice long while while it circulates in the water column.

Thanks for the clarity, No I don't use a feed cycle in that case. Not sure it that would be a beneficial choice for me since I usually feed frozen food. Would I need to feed dried foods if using a feed cycle?