Hello from Stafford VA

Hello from Stafford, VA. My name is Rob and I’ve been actively keeping saltwater tanks for 4 years now. I’ve had freshwater tanks on and off for as long as I can remember. I kept some saltwater fish back in the mid 90’s for a few years but got out of the hobby due to a variety of circumstances.

In 2010 I acquired a 120 that was plumbed with overflows so I jumped back in! I slowly built a reef with some softies and LPS and fish.

120 gal reef tank (no longer set up)

After a few years my wife said she knew I wanted a bigger tank and found me one on Craigslist (everybody say what?!) so this past summer I set up a 220 (that I had to drill first) and I sold the 120.

220 gal reef tank

Around this time (actually a few months earlier) I decided to try my hand at SPS so I got a frag tank and set that up so now I have the 220 and the frag.

25 gal frag tank

I want to make sure I have what it takes to keep SPS alive so I only have frags and with one exception they are all in the frag tank. I also picked up some bryopsis so nothing can leave the frag tank until I feel like it is all gone.

I got an Apex controller for Christmas so I’ve been slowly setting that up, as well as automating my top offs and freshwater production. What a lifesaver that is! I have a couple Vortec pumps on the 220 and I’m concentrating on getting more infrastructure in place. I want to start automatic dosing next. As you can see it's a pretty messy set up but I hope to get it more organized as time goes on

Neptune Apex

Prior to moving to Virginia I lived most of my life near the ocean, spent 10 years in the Navy and I’m a Pisces…so I figure fishkeeping must be the thing for me to do!  We have a couple of dogs and a bunch of cats and both of us work, so with the fish hobby I don’t have much time for anything else. I hope to learn more from WAMAS and hopefully I can contribute something useful as time goes by!

Hey, welcome aboard! That is really nice of your wife, I don't think mine would ever search for and buy me a tank!

You have joined a great forum, with great people, advice, and just general reef information! Will you be able to make our meeting next week?

Hi Rob!!

Welcome to the club!  Love the tanks and hopefully we will see you at our next meeting on april 5th....

Don't hesitate to post with any and all questions ....this club has some serious insomniacs and is very active so you will get responses usually immediately no matter when you post it LOL.....

Welcome to the club. Nice to find another reefer in our area!

Welcome!  There are a handful of us in the area.  Looking forward to meeting you in person :)

Like Roni said!

Welcome! I am down in Fredericksburg so not to far :-)

• 2 months later...