2.5 gallon pico

Sugar Magnolia

This tank was started in Jan '04 and has gone through three overhauls due to poor plannning as far as coral placement goes, along with a massive outbreak of hydroids and vermetid snails.

Specs:

2.5 AGA

2x18 watt Current Dual Satellite fixture

AC 70 refugium with palm light

25 watt heater in fuge

Inhabs:

Yasha Haze/pistol pair

2 sexy shrimp

1 peppermint shrimp

1 bumble bee snail

4 strombus grazers

2 cerith snails

2 nassarius snails

various corals

Here it is today. Full tank shot.

Jan201.jpg

Right side.

Jan202.jpg

Left side.

Jan203.jpg

Caulastrea and sexy shrimp.

Jan204.jpg

Torch and the other sexy shrimp.

Jan205.jpg

Baby ricordea.

Jan206.jpg

Zoos and strombus snail.

Jan207.jpg

Another caulastrea colony.

Jan208.jpg

Leather...toadstool I think.

Jan209.jpg

1/2" purple M. digitata that I accidently broke of when working in the 30.

Jan2010.jpg

Tiny chili coral that hitched in on some rocks. It's got 4 polyps that come out every night.

Jan2011.jpg

Micro hermit cleaning up the tank.

Jan2012.jpg

Yahsa haze/pistol pair

yashahaze.jpg

Looks great! I'm glad that little neon green frag survived the buried alive at sea ordeal! How much flow do you have in the tank with the AC 70? I remember you posting before that you reduced the impeller size to reduce flow. I've got a 2.5 gallon mini-bow at school that I set up the other day. I at first used the whisper in tank filter that came with it minus the filter body, so it was basically a powerhead, but it heated the tank up way too much (close to 86 degrees) and so switched it out to a stock filter I got years ago with a 10 gallon set up (Top Fin 10?). I'll see what the temp difference is on Monday, but the main thing is that I am having trouble keeping the sand intact at the front and not completely blown away. I have two tiny ocellaris clowns in there which hopefully will move the sand around a bit so that it's not all piled up in the corner. Funny, with all of the trading that goes on around in the club, my coral list is going to end up looking an awful lot like yours!

I actually did another impeller swap today. I had the 20 impeller in there, and last week put in a 50 thinking that would be good. It was too much flow, so today I put in a 30 and with the U-tube shifted just a bit to the right, the flow is perfect. The sand is staying in place and the goby isn't struggling to stay in one place when he pops out of his cave.

I don't know if the impellers on the other filters can be swapped or not. That's why the AC is perfect for modding into a fuge. The only one that can't be changed is the largest one, the 110.

You can get the AquaClears at Petsmart or Petco, but print off any online price ( www.petsolutions.com is usually lowest) and bring it to the store and they will match the price. Impellers have to be ordered online. www.bigalsonline.com has the lowest prices on those and the order comes really fast.

Wow that's beautiful. I can only aspire to make my 5G tank look that great. You've got 2 18W fixtures in there? How do you keep the water temp down?

• 3 months later...
Guest Ziggy

Great Job! That is honestly one of the best pico's i've ever seen!

The tank's doing really well. My hammer has spilt into two heads and both caulestreas are splitting as well. The little M igi frag has grown quite a bit too. The light is a 2x18W Current fixture that sits about 4" above the water.

I have noticed on of the rocks has some turf algae growing on it so I'll need to keep an eye on that. No updated pics yet, it needs a coraline scraping. ;)

I do weekly 2 quart water changes. I use some airline tubing to create a syphon to remove 2 quarts of water from the tank, then just pour in my premixed IO that's been warmed to tank temp.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is that the best you can do. Just remember g-d created the whole planet in 6 days. Even had time to rest. Just kidding. Great job.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Echo_bravo 4-19

wow thats such a nice tank i just set up my pico tank but i have no lights or power filter im thincking the ac 50 with fuge mod but the only living thing in my tank now is aptasia lol hope to one day have a pico as nice as yours.

• 1 month later...