Canister filter recommendations

TrueTricia

I am looking to purchase a new canister filter for my 90g (the one I posted about the stand). I have some power filters from my other tanks but I wanted to add a canister filter with uv sterilization. I was looking at a SunSun HW-304B with 98 uv and a JBJ Reaction 4 stage with uv. They're under $130. Anyone have any experience with either of these or have recommendations on a different one?

My recommendation would be to not get a canister filter. Is your 90 gallon drilled? A canister filter will, in my opinion, be more trouble than it's worth down the line. Have you considered adding a sump to your 90 gallon? It will allow you to keep equipment that you will use to run your tank out of sight. It can be a little over bearing at first, learning everything, but just remember: nothing good happens fast in this hobby!

Tell us a little bit about your tank, it's current stage, and your plans for it. This will really help others direct you.

Also, I noticed you're new, welcome to the club. Post up in our new members forum, and thanks for joining! I'm right across the bridge, and I always have a few frags for our new members.

Hmmm. So a sump vs a canister? Now I'll have to learn so much more!

So I just moved up to dc from Miami. While i had a couple tanks down there, the ocean and diving was my main tank! Up here I brought my 20g and sold my 40g. My moving company lost a lot of my supplies (I'm suing them for many reasons), so I figured this was a good time to replace lost items from when I first started.

My 90g is a tank a friend's giving me having upgraded his own. I'm going to make it a fowlr tank (that's the plan anyways). I have a corallife t5 light and a marineland led light that I'm planning on putting on it. I also have a few extra small power filters from my move (obviously not enough to be the main filtration).

I also have a 40g that I was thinking of making a small reef tank.

I predict a glass drill bit and discussions about tempered glass, durso or siphon drain systems, overflow boxes, and installing baffles into a tank to make a sump in your near future. Maybe even some talk of chaetomorpha algae (which most people call Cheeto, but it really seems to be pronounced like Kayto) and fuge lights.

Welcome to the club. 8)

And thank you for the welcome! When does winter stop?! You live in Nova then? I work down in Quantico so I'm always driving through.

Nobody knows when the winter stops, that's the beauty of this area! Yep, I'm in Arlington.

I predict a glass drill bit and discussions about tempered glass, durso or siphon drain systems, overflow boxes, and installing baffles into a tank to make a sump in your near future. Maybe even some talk of chaetomorpha algae (which most people call Cheeto, but it really seems to be pronounced like Kayto) and fuge lights.

Welcome to the club. 8)

Yeah, I think Alan nailed it. Like I mentioned, it starts off daunting, but you'll be glad you took your time and learned it

For a FOWLR...I would just paint the back black and do an AquaClear 110 or 2.

"Location:DC by the Nationals Stadium" - I miss the area. I used to live in the Axiom

Edited by brad908

looks like this has turned into your intro thread, haha - welcome!

you can do a canister but just be sure you are aware of the maintenance required and what you're getting into in order to be successful with it.

what kind of livestock do you plan on keeping in that 90 fowlr?

Thank you all for your help. Everyone seems very nice on here.

Blink blink. Yes, slightly more daunting than ordering a canister filter on Amazon Lol.

Ok, so even for a fowlr tank you still recommend a sump? (This is where my next post would normally be 'anyone selling or willing to make a small sump for me? '). I'm pretty handy but drilling glass and other things that should remain water-proof isn't my thing lol.

I have a 40g right now that will have all fish transferred to the 90:

1 x yellow tang

1 x Naso tang (named Mr. T)

2 x pajama Cardinal

1 x yellow tail dwarf Angel

After that, it will just depend. The 40 will probably become a reef tank.

"Location:DC by the Nationals Stadium" - I miss the area. I used to live in the Axiom

Yes I live right by there! I'm at 70 capital yards. I nominate my place for baseball game tailgate when the weather is better. Rooftop bbq area :)

Much easier than drilling a tank and you can still have your sump. Highly recommend sump over canister if you ever want corals.

Canister filters can certainly keep your water clean BUT they quickly become a detritus trap and, trust me, you will get sick of cleaning it out every 3 days or so.

Canister filters can, however, be a life saver when something toxic (phosphates, ammonia, etc.) build up in your system. You pack the canister with poly-filter, or some adsorption media and then run it for 24 hours. I personally wouldn't spend money on one ahead of time,

Also, I got the 3G CPR Aquafuge fuge/sump and it has worked out very well. No plumbing needed

Edited by sen5241b

Welcome, go with a drilled tank and sump. Keep an eye out on the sales section, can get most for next to nothing. I am also about to post some more freebies and rock as well...

what brand tank is the 90g, you can generally find out if the glass is tempered on the manufacturer's site or through a google search, but you can also check with a smart phone and some polarized glasses I believe it is.

Drilling it will be way more fool proof then a hang on the back overflow and would be my preferred method, and as for installing baffles in the sump that's the easy part, just some aquarium safe silicone and get a glass shop to cut a few baffles and glue them in, nothing to drill down there.

I'm down in your home area almost every day for work, so if you need help with something early in the afternoon I can generally lend a hand.

I vote turn the 40 Into your sump :)

if you look at most of the tanks that last long term...a sump is much more maintenance friendly and with the increase in water, makes it easier to have better water quality...with more ability for mechanical and biological filtration...

because one of the few things iI think you will really want, even on a fowlr , is a protein skimmer....

those fish produce a lot of poo....

Everyone here is so very helpful. Besides the comments, several members have offered to help me/give advice on how to move forward. I've never belonged to a community like this before (in Miami, I had developed such a good relationship with my store that I never even looked for something like this), and I can honestly say this is such an amazing first experience. Thank you to everyone for your advice, help and comments.

And yes, I seriously doubt I'll be ordering that filter off Amazon. Now I just need to do my research on different sump set ups, drilling, etc. I'm picking up my tank next week from the friend that's giving it to me & the stand a member is selling me instead of making. Once i get those, I'll have a better idea of The landscape to formulate a COA.

You guys are great! Thanks for making me feel welcome.

Tricia

Much easier than drilling a tank and you can still have your sump. Highly recommend sump over canister if you ever want corals.

I have one of these on my 90, it's a little noisier than I would like but it does the Job, I used a sump and Canister filter on my 40B, mainly because I had it lying around and wanted the UV sterilizer, it got to be a pain to clean, I cant remember the model # but it was the sun sun rated for 125gph, it's a great canister filter but if you have the ability to add a sump I would reccoment that.

I ended up giving my canister filter to a friend of mine who has it running into the back chamber of his 29 Bio cube, he swears up and down that Canisters are better than sumps, but I have to disagree.

if your set on getting a Canister filter I can tell you from experience that the sun sun works great and is virtually silent, never had issues with it at all, and it's still running 18 months later on someone elses aquarium. however I have to agree with the majority on this one that a sump is the way to go.

petco often have $ ger gallon sales, I bought a 30 gal, which was the biggest one I could fit in my stand and got glass cut at HD, it's only 1/8" glass but I just siliconed 2 pieces together on the parts that hold water, the baffles are just 1/8" glass and I have had no issues over a year.

I think for the plumbing, Tank/sump and baffles it cost around $50 - $60 bucks to set up and I just hooked up a Jebao DC 6000 for a return at it works great, probably a little too well as I only have it on speed 2 or 3 out of 5, you could probably get away with a smaller pump.

1500gph is too much flow, who knew lol.

Hmmm. The DIY overflow doesn't seem very complicated. But given the fact that a few members have offered their expertise on drilling, I might just go the drilled route! With my luck, I'd go to do it and crack the entire thing!

Thanks everyone!

Drilling is super easy. You should consider drilling it at your friends house before you bring it back to your place. I drilled my 20 gallon in the bathtub, and added it onto my 150 through my sump.