Acrylic tank build question- Bottom Color Poll

DuffyGeos

The Quick question (like there is ever a quick question in this hobby)- I have to put together a tank build thread, which I will do, and will cover all of this in the build later.

I have Adam with Artfully Acrylic building me a 300g tank 96" x 30" x 24" tank that will be in the wall and viewed from both sides. I am going to have exterior overflows on both ends that will have black acrylic to cover the pipes. My question is what color should I do the bottom? I am thinking I want a little sand for wrasses, but I don't care if it gets blown around. I am looking to have a heavy fish bioload, and see what I can do with some SPS. This may change, but that is where I am at the moment. Right now it is suppose to be clear, but I keep going back and forth with a black or white bottom option. The white would reflect the light, but might be hard to keep clean if it is seen. The black would hide "dirt" and scratches better, but would absorb light. Or do I go clear and paint the wood below a bright white or black?

What are your opinions?

Thanks,

Ken

White. The light reflection and blending with the sand. Eventually both will get covered in coraline anyway, so at least when you clean it, the white will still blend with the sand.

White. The light reflection and blending with the sand. Eventually both will get covered in coraline anyway, so at least when you clean it, the white will still blend with the sand.

That is one thing I was wondering about. I also think it will not show as many scratches as a clear bottom.

thanks for your input Brad

I have a white bottomed tank and to be honest, I never pay it much attention since it looks like white sand to most people. Algae grows on it and then gets covered up with other stuff.

I agree with white.

I also agree with after a year, it won't matter what you choose.

OK- so far it is:

3 whites

1 clear (PM from DCReefer1964 before I posted this and he thought I should poll people)- good idea!

Another question...is there going to be trim around the bottom of the tank? If not then you'll have a white bottom seam with the clear side seams...personally I wouldn't like that...but I do have OCD about stupid things,lol

(edited)

Another question...is there going to be trim around the bottom of the tank? If not then you'll have a white bottom seam with the clear side seams...personally I wouldn't like that...but I do have OCD about stupid things,lol

Have not decided yet. I will have 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood painted white, and I might have a layer of Azek composite on top of that. I just received a sump that is white on the bottom and ends, but is clear on the sides and the baffles. Looks pretty cool...and it is a monster 65" x  29" x  20" !

I might start a poll on how many reefers have ADD, ADHD, & OCD.....it comes up a lot. I would have the ADD & OCD symptoms.

Edited by DuffyGeos

Have not decided yet. I will have 2 sheets of 3/4" plywood painted white, and I might have a layer of Azek composite on top of that. I just received a sump that is white on the bottom and ends, but is clear on the sides and the baffles. Looks pretty cool...and it is a monster 65" x  29" x  20" !

I might start a poll on how many reefers have ADD, ADHD, & OCD.....it comes up a lot. I would have the ADD & OCD symptoms.

I think all of us are ADD, ADHA, and OCD to a certain degree.

Clear, so the edge profile remains clear.

Sent from my LG G-Pad 8.3 Google Play Edition

Update:

So here is where we are:

White: 3

Clear: 5

PVC: maybe one

It seems that so far the Clear bottom people say it won't matter in a year, and the White Bottom people think the light reflection and matching the sand color do help. I assume (which is never safe) that the color of the stand under the clear bottom would matter if the sand is not present.

Let me make some selling points for PVC:

cheaper!

lighter!

drillable.. this doesn't make too much of a difference from acrylic, but still.

not shiny white but dull. so it blends in better.

that's all i got

So I was over at my long lost cousin's house -Steveoutlaw (for real, we are cousins) for our first meeting was today!! He voted for the clear bottom.

Soooooo....

Update:

So here is where we are:

Clear: 6

Clear is pulling ahead.

Purple so it blends in with the coralline

3D picture so it looks like the rocks are coming up from the bottom of the tank.

Update:

So here is where we are:

Clear: 6

Purple: 1

3D: 1

Wait this is getting off track.

So I have decided to stick with the clear bottom tank, and paint the stand white.  I will work on getting this build thread together this week if possible. I have promised a lot of people!