Well, I should have pulled it last night when I first thought there was a problem....

But I was apprehensive as when I touched it it did close....

But I checked this morning and it was scavenger city .....so I pulled the clam out...

WOW DO THOSE THINGS SMELL HORRID WHEN THEY DIE!

So :( now I must replace my gorgeous clam....

Guess it's a good thing we had planned a trip to Dr. Macs....

Sad really...it's barely a year old....and had been looking great till yesterday....(I should say I have barely had it for a year)

Talk about downhill quick!

Edited by smallreef

Sorry about your clam, why do you think it died?

Let me know how your trip to Dr. Macs is, we have been wanting to go check them out.

No clue? It really just went downhill in a day...I do keep my tank dirtier than others...and my skimmer has not worked great as of late (going to be ordering a CS-1next week it looks like).

But ugh....it's just been an odd week... Going to do a water change when I get home from work a little later...

Sorry Kim :( same thing happened to my maxima, let me see if I can find the thread .

No clue? It really just went downhill in a day...I do keep my tank dirtier than others...and my skimmer has not worked great as of late (going to be ordering a CS-1next week it looks like).

But ugh....it's just been an odd week... Going to do a water change when I get home from work a little later...

that was probably it...i think they can be pretty picky and sensitive...the thing that absolutely stinks (literally) is how fast it happens. I had one die on me about 8 or 9 years ago and it was awful and when I took it out holy crap the smell....

Oddly, samething happened to one of my clams this weekend. Strange thing is that I have two identical size clams 3inches from same great vendor, same tank. One just started to recede and by the next morning had to be pulled out. The other one is still doing great. Luckily I have no sense of smell.

Lol Scott....were going to Dr. Macs on the 24the.I'll see what they have....if I want to replace it..this was one of the $99 mother day specials from last year...and did great even with the tank transfer....

no special feedings...this clam was about 5 Inches long and fairly wide...

I think mine is about 1.5 years old not and going strong.  But my sinularia is invading its space so I am going to need to cut that back and hopefully will sell some at the meeting.

But nobody can touch Dr Mac's clams, some day I will need to make the drive out there also.

Mine was a Dr. Macs. I talked with them at the last meet, and they said sometimes they have the bigger ones just recede and die like that. I believe they recommended the smaller ones, they said they had a 99% success rate if you do your due diligence on water quality and light.

Either way, it sucks, I hope you shucked it and kept the shell, mine is in my box rinsed off, as a momento of all the good times we shared.

Well...I did not have time to shuck it this morning, but I did pull it and put it in a bucket of water...so the stench didnt get into the whole house,lol

But I will tonight...I want to put something in it....not sure what...but something...