Icsparks 155

Below is our proposed tank setup that we have in mind. Please feel free to provide any comments and or suggestions that you may have on the equipment or setup.

The sump is almost finished and has been flow tested. Planning on 100 Lbs. of BRS dry rock and 50 Lbs. of LFS live rock for seeding. With a shallow live sand bed.  Pictures of tank and sump will follow.

Tank: Used 155 gal AGA reef ready Bow front with cabinet stand + canopy.
Sump: DIY 40 Gal breeder with center return section and split overflows (one feeding refuge and one feeding skimmer). DIY Algae Turf Scrubber.
Skimmer: Reef Octopus 3000 In-Sump Protein Skimmer.
Flow: Mag 12 return pump, 2 Hydor 1500 + 3 Hydor 1150 inside tank.
Media reactors: 2- MR1 media reactors GFO/ Carbon
Heaters: 2- Finnex *** 300 watt.
Lighting: 3 Reef Radiance LUMENTEK PRO 120 LED fixtures.
Dosing: BRS Dosing pumps controlled with APEX.
Control: APEX standard control with breakout box for DIY ATO switches.

Thanks,

Charlie & Pam

post-2634763-0-67934700-1394123579_thumb.jpg

post-2634763-0-70775700-1394123595_thumb.jpg

great job! ten years hasn't left any moss on you....you are moving right along...

Can't wait to see this tank come together.  Do you know which direction you are going yet on stocking?

Jenn said it, you're hitting the ground running! I like the bowfronts. My first freshwater tank years ago was a 75 bow.

agreed my first tank was a 92 corner bow.....to this day still my most favorite tank I ever had. 

And I have a 72 bow now...which I also love!

I am really looking forward to seeing a 155 bow done though!!!!! gorgeous!

if you already have the Mag12, then i would go ahead and use it, but with all the new pumps on the market, there are much better return pumps on the market.  congrats on the new build.

As a suggestion, I would stay away from the 50 pounds of live rock from LFS, if you start with all dry rock you dont need to worry about any pest or hitch hikers, it just takes a little longer but its worth it in my opinion, just my .02 cents. You are off to a great start. Keep it up.

i agree with that...I started my last tank with all dry rock and just a small piece of LR from my other tank to seed it and a couple of cups of sand from the established tank.  It was my first tank done this way and I have to say at first I hated the sterility of it but a year later I am very happy I went this route.  

You may also not want all that rock either....its kinda old school to do the 1lb per gallon route... unless you are wanting a rock wall in which case it would be necessary.  I threw a lot of rock into my sump instead of the DT

Looking to have mostly SPS corals some LPS and a few softies. The tank came with the mag 12 pump so i just made use of the pump.

Mag is a no go for me. I agree let the live rock go. Cook it and start new. What type of skimmer do you plan on using in your setup. Last I agree with not using all that rock for your aquascape IMHO being a membet of WAMAS your SPS growth will fill the empty spaces in no time. If Issac can do it anyone can. !!! :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  :laugh:  Tagging along :dry:

Skimmer will be a Reef Octopus 3000 In-Sump Protein Skimmer. Do the DC pumps return to the set speed after a power outage?

Skimmer will be a Reef Octopus 3000 In-Sump Protein Skimmer. Do the DC pumps return to the set speed after a power outage?

yes they do

I have a waveline 12000 on my 150g....love it!

And just a question...butnhavebyou dry fit that skimmer in the sump yet...I don't know if its your picture but it looks like a short stand...

And I think your reef radiance lights are just like the evergrows...I have 3 on my setup and LOVE them!

(edited)

In the sump picture you can see the dummy skimmer I had made up out of paperboard for fitment,  I only have 26" from bottom of sump to the glass bottom of tank inside the web of the stand frame. Skimmers that are +1 sized for the tank are in the 23"-25"  tall range but if someone in the club has this skimmer http://www.coralvue.com/sro-3000-space-saver-protein-skimmer or this skimmer http://www.coralvue.com/reef-octopus-sro3000int-super-reef-protein-skimmer I would like to know more about how the skimmer cup comes off and how easy the body is to clean.post-2634763-0-13085100-1394182147_thumb.jpg

Edited by icsparks

Does anybody use Coralvue RO skimmers? If so would like to hear the pro's and con's.

Thanks,

Update: We have 140 gallons of RO/DI water made up in 5 gallon jugs sitting all throughout the house.

Just got a shipment Friday, 50Lbs. of dry rock from BRS and 5 powerheads from Amazon. When Uncle Sam gives me my refund this week the UPS driver will be busy. Lights, skimmer and new pump are on top of the list.

The RO skimmer is on the way. We also have two Lumentek Pro 240 LED lights on order from Reef Radiance. Rick at RR took the time and talked with me over the phone about my options for my tank and provided great customer service at a personal level.   

Does anybody use Coralvue RO skimmers? If so would like to hear the pro's and con's.

Thanks,

Update: We have 140 gallons of RO/DI water made up in 5 gallon jugs sitting all throughout the house.

Just got a shipment Friday, 50Lbs. of dry rock from BRS and 5 powerheads from Amazon. When Uncle Sam gives me my refund this week the UPS driver will be busy. Lights, skimmer and new pump are on top of the list.

Get with Monkiboy and order a large holding vessel for you RO and Saltwater for water changes. Five (5) gallon buckets everywhere is a mess to deal with

The 5 gal jugs are only for the start up. I have a 30 Gal Vat for the water changes. I was lucky enough to get the jugs for free so I got a head start on making 150 Gallons of RO/DI water to start the tank. My RO/DI is only a 75 gal per day unit. Once I get the tank up and running the jugs will go away. I may use some for mixing 2 part and kalk. Our OR skimmer came today and it fits in my sump under the tank with about 2 1/4" of space between the top lid and the tank bottom. Collection cup is easy to get to and remove :rolleyes:  I was crossing my fingers on that one.  

Update: This week the UPS driver was busy. We got 50 Lbs of Tonga branch, 20 Lbs of Tonga flat plate, and 50lbs of Pukani rock. Two MR1 reactor, two Finnex *** heaters, 70Lbs of reef sand.  

Where did you get your tonga from, if you don't mind my asking?

Going to let the tank sit a few days to make sure we like the rock work. Lacking one shelf on the left side. The reactors hang perfectly in front of the 40 gal sump and are easy to remove for media change.

post-2634763-0-80241600-1395789538_thumb.jpg

post-2634763-0-03289500-1395789570_thumb.jpg