Sharkey's zoa tank

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

yea that's definitely an anemone, not a feather duster :)

not all anemones are carpets, pests or have bubbly tips... says the guy with a new fascination of rock flower anemones

Yeah, but it is not really a nem. It has a worm like body.  No foot. 

True they are not actually anemones, but they are called tube anemones. The article I lined to is a little out dated but has some good stuff.

Ummm, no,  sorry.... 

Lame. 

The tank has entered the new tank syndrome phase.  I am in the middle of a lovely light green algae bloom as can be seen by the green hue in the picture. I was planning on a water change this weekend, but am wondering if I should skip it and let the tank mature a bit more and let it ride w/o a water change. Opinions? 

IMG_3776_zpsc1081516.jpg

The only fish so far is the little regal tang. He is in there for algae control but doesn't do much except hide. 

I have decided to keep it as a bare bottom tank. I am waiting for the CeramEco group buy to come in to set up the rockscape. 

The only filtration is live rock and a filter sock. I have added some Ulva and Cheato to the fuge but they are not really growing yet.

My plan is to change out over 50 gallons of water every two weeks. The water from the sps tank will provide the new water. Hopefully this will keep the water in the zoa tank not too clean and not too dirty.  

I have added a WP25 for flow. I am still playing with location and settings to get the best coverage, but so far it seems like a great pump. I am considering addend a second WP25 but I may not really need it. 

Bulbs will be upgraded to ATI's from the group buy. I am going to experiment with a combination of Aquablue specials, Blue plus and Coral plus. Suggestions for excellent zoa color and growth is welcome. 

I had quite a few zoa frags that were in bad shape, so I just threw them in the tank on day one. They are all starting to open up! 

Welcoming feedback from zoanthid lovers... 

as far as T5 go, i recently changed all my bulbs from ATI to KZ and will never go back.  The KZ superblue is awesome....I have  a mixture of Superblue, Fiji and New generation.  My corals love the new spectrums

Interesting.. i was looking at KZ bulbs also.  

How long ago did you change? have you seen any difference in growth? 

This is the water in my corner overflow. 

If I dial down the return pump, I can prevent the rise and fall of the water levels and the subsequent tidal surge of water into the sump. 

Can anyone tell me 1) what is going on and 2) how to fix it? 

http://s955.photobucket.com/user/sharkey1818/media/IMG_3780_zps2ff5c402.mp4.html

Interesting.. i was looking at KZ bulbs also.  

How long ago did you change? have you seen any difference in growth? 

I changed several months ago.  Everything is still growing great, but the "POP" from the Superblues is amazing.  Its almost like VHO bulbs.

This is the water in my corner overflow. 

If I dial down the return pump, I can prevent the rise and fall of the water levels and the subsequent tidal surge of water into the sump. 

Can anyone tell me 1) what is going on and 2) how to fix it? 

http://s955.photobucket.com/user/sharkey1818/media/IMG_3780_zps2ff5c402.mp4.html

Sure can.

You need a T for the durso overflow, and a hole in the top to let some air in.

If you ever come over and pick up your Frags, you can see it in person. :cool:

Oh yeah, I'm ready.  Would LOVE to see it in person. 

I am planning on going to the social on saturday. Maybe afterwards or on Sunday? 

I run 4xt5 on my 46g. Front to back Reefbrite strip, P+, B+, C+, B+.

I like the light combo and the few zoas I have see to dig it...but also like some shade. I've also considered doing B+, C+, B+, C+...and URI Actinic, B+, C+, B+. Just to give you some ideas. I'm also considered switching to economical LEDS, but that hasn't happenned yet.

Thanks Matt.  I bought a few extra bulbs so I can play around with it. 

The only thing I didn't get is the purple +. Maybe I'll add that later.

My fixture is 6 bulbs.... way too many options! 

With 6 bulbs, try two C+ and the rest B+. The P+ is included in C+ wavelengths, just part of the broader spectrum....like 10% P+.

Another mix you might try...just brainstorming...front to back...

-B+

-URI white actinic (pinkish, but pops)

-B+

-B+

-C+

-B+

Also, search on T5 and 'grim reefer' on RC...he was THE guy to ask for T5 combinations once upon a time

• 4 weeks later...

OK, even i forgot about this thread. 

The tank is doing good, I added a bunch of rock and bought a few frags from the petland social. 

FTSIMG_0121_zps9449d7ce.jpg

left side (out of focus)

IMG_0120_zps7b147fa1.jpg

Wont be long until you have zoas all over that tank!