Sharkey's zoa tank

I bought this tank a year ago. Never set it up. 

Tried to sell it. No one would buy it. 

Gave up and set it up. 

So now I have a 65g tank with a 40g sump. The sump is a custom Naga piece that was the sump on my old 120. 

Right now there is not much to it. A tank, a sump, a heater. I need to add some flow tomorrow. 

The plan is to set this up as a zoanthid dominated tank. Not sure if I will just put zoa frags all over the bottom, or give it a rockscape.  Might try to do something different.  The rock in there is to provide some protection for my hawaiian feather duster worm that launched itself again today... IMG_3703_zpsc359c319.jpg

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice, how many gallons you got running in that fish room now...haha.

I think you should hang open Tonga branches suspended in the tank from fishing line or something....then let zoas cover them. Then a carpet of mixed square tiles for frags. Do it...go Avatar in there.

Great first post there, Matt. I love the "Going Avitar"

Although, I see that being complicated, albeit cool. I'm glad that there is another zoa junky around the corner.

Love to see pics of the rest of the fish room....please?

http://wamas.org/totm_previous.php?prev=totm-2013-05

Laura I love the idea of this....and the tonga...albeit maybe not suspended...that sounds like a recipe for disaster to me if it fell but can't wait to see this come to fruition!!!

Thanks for posting the link to the pic of the fish room.... the only thing that has changed is that I took out the table to add the sump. It was too big to fit under the tank so I just put it next to it.  

So I am looking for a flow maker for this tank.  I was thinking about an MP40, which is probably overkill, but then I looked at the Tunze. 

It lookalike the turbelle stream 2 will do just fine, at half the cost.... Am I missing something? Tunze people help me out... 

After reading Matt's suggestion, I went looking for this thread, took me awhile,  but I found it:

http://www.nano-reef.com/topic/339129-slow-50-gal-rimless-build-by-hey-its-wet-now-sorta/

I love the look of this scape, reminds me of an Amano planted tank scape.  Not sure if this is something you would consider, but I thought I would share it. 

I love the look of this scape, reminds me of an Amano planted tank scape.  Not sure if this is something you would consider, but I thought I would share it. 

I'm so glad he ended up putting that white plank behind it to keep that tree wallpaper from bleeding through.

I like the scape, I think tonga will be a good way to go either way!

Laura, at the rate you had those Zoas growing on the right side of your main I bet you could go bare bottom in this new one and have a zoa carpet across the whole thing in no time ;-). For flow I 'd usea couple Jebao Wp25's. I think Quantum may have some in stock.

Thanks soccer... that's exactly what I'm planning to do. I figure two 25's is better than 1 40 to create a little bit of random flow, rather than just linear. 

I have a wp25 in my 3 foot tank....plenty of flow...you probably only need one if you shoot it across the back wall and get a gyre going

(edited)

Cool. Going to pick one up today and see what it can do! 

I transferred all my sad frags into the tank last night. Hoping they will open up today so I can see what I've got left. 

They were all crammed into a 20g with little flow and got a nice coat of cyano built up. I gave them a quick toothbrush scrub and dropped them in their new home. 

Pics later... 

Edited by Sharkey18

Cool. Going to pick one up today and see what it can do! 

I transferred all my sad frags into the tank last night. Hoping they will open up today so I can see what I've got left. 

They were all crammed into a 20g with little flow and got a nice coat of cyano built up. I gave them a quick toothbrush scrub and dropped them in their new home. 

Pics later... 

Yikes, sounds like it's a good thing you held onto the 65 :-)

(edited)

Got a WP25 today. So far it seems great. It's creating some nice flow in the tank and I'm really happy with it. 

Here are the pics of my closed up frags and colonies I am hoping will come back to life in a system designed for them... 

Those chalices on the right side are TEMPORARY residents until they go to their new home in someone else's tank! 

Left side:

IMG_3731_zps6b595370.jpg

Right side:

IMG_3732_zps79957091.jpg

Edited by Sharkey18

What is that crazy pink long tentacle green center thing under the rock in the last pic?

That is some kind of feather duster worm.... it's stunningly gorgeous.  My girlfriend made me buy it a year ago... 

That is some kind of feather duster worm.... it's stunningly gorgeous.  My girlfriend made me buy it a year ago... 

Smart girl, that thing is the first thing to catch my eye in a tub full of zoas, that's saying something....