Suggestions for back wall "texture"

AlanM

my back wall is pure coralline...I don't see or clean it now LOL...

I had a monti cap about 10 years ago on a side glass on a magnet...I liked it but it shaded a bit much...I am more curious about acros or encrusting montis...

(edited)

Do not put any caps on your back wall.  I have not once heard someone say they were happy doing this.  Keep the caps down low, or they will grow and shade everything.

Acro's would be fine.  I would just leave it be for now.

Edited by BowieReefer84

my back wall is pure coralline...I don't see or clean it now LOL...

I had a monti cap about 10 years ago on a side glass on a magnet...I liked it but it shaded a bit much...I am more curious about acros or encrusting montis...

Do IT... :) :clap: lol

Do not put any caps on your back wall.  I have not once heard someone say they were happy doing this.  Keep the caps down low, or they will grow and shade everything.

Very Good advice... unless that's what they want... but Very Good Advice. And Great Point.

I took your advice and got ready to blast my sunset. Top back wall, polyps fully extended!

DSC_0440_zpse45a7779.jpg

so what about a chalice or two? They plate out but slower than a monti cap, right? Maybe it violates my "must be able to tolerate high flow" rule. Rob is right, though. I should just start sticking acros back there. Now I have lots more room to fill. 8)

Isaac, now I know where you've been putting those zoas that you kep getting. I've been wondering what you did with them all.

Isaac, now I know where you've been putting those zoas that you kep getting. I've been wondering what you did with them all.

I thought I overshared most of my tank via 2 tanks 1 room. Looks like it's time for a tank update in the near future. I was able to cover my old overflow in the 57 in pink and gold palys. I didn't put them in the 150. GUESS WHAT, they are  in there, getting ready to crush my zoa garden. Right now it looks silly having frags all over th overflow and back wall, but talk to me in 6 months.

you are so good at cramming life into your tank I should have you come out to my place sometimes and point at bare spots to say what you'd put there.

you are so good at cramming life into your tank I should have you come out to my place sometimes and point at bare spots to say what you'd put there.

sometimes I don't like it because it's not "natural," right? It's weird to see floating corals. Even when it's grown out (ie. zoas down an overflow) it's still nothing like you would see in nature, an overflow cover that is. But then I look at my rockwork and that's not really natural either. Frank has done a phenominal job with making his look natural and using those rock magnets. I have looked into reef safe clays and hitting up my community center during open studio. They have a kiln, and it would be super cheap and easy to fire up clay pieces that would be super light and could be made porous that could attatch onto the back wall. I have also thought about making frag plugs. There is a lot on my "to do" list, maybe I'll scratch this off one day.

If you really want to talk to a master, Pizzaguy has me beat. He is reigning champ of stuffing tanks with nice corals.

If I can do it over again I would of done this.

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1300282

That is cool, but it kind of reminds me of a cave, not a reef tank, that's just me though. I love the way the floating rocks look in post   #154

That is cool, but it kind of reminds me of a cave, not a reef tank, that's just me though. I love the way the floating rocks look in post   #154

Yeah those are cool. But its like you said. Wait 6 months when corals are growing and colors have been added and it won't look like a cave then...

SPS will, without fail, fall off once they get larger.  Glass isn't something they adhere too very well (the opposite is true of acrylic, they will be on that forever).  So, if you do try to mount frags on the back, I'd highly recommend going with things that will creep and not gain too much mass. Xenia, gsp, polyps, etc.

SPS will, without fail, fall off once they get larger.  Glass isn't something they adhere too very well (the opposite is true of acrylic, they will be on that forever).  So, if you do try to mount frags on the back, I'd highly recommend going with things that will creep and not gain too much mass. Xenia, gsp, polyps, etc.

and THAT is the information I was waiting for....

thanks Wade!

This quote thing not working is starting to annoy me.

kjamaya that post on RC is what made me do it on my tank except I didn't use egg crate.

Reference my previous post, here's a current photo of the softies on my back wall:

gallery_2631918_1271_242735.jpg

I saw those. They're really cool. Do you know the thickness of your back wall? My 75 has thicker glass than usual because it is built rimless. I think mine is 12mm. I'm concerned that they won't be strong enough.

I have these on my 58 gallon oceanic and that thing has some ridiculously thick glass on it.  They hold really well.  I love the dimension it adds to the tank.