mississippi lime group order

phisigs79

Dave,

Yes it is Calcium Hydroxide aka Ca(OH)2 aka Kalkwasser. Chemically it is all the same thing. So it isn't really a substitue... it is the same stuff. Storing it is easy... keep it dry. An empty salt bucket works pretty good. I am shooting to do this after Valentine's Day so we do not impact Chip in one of his "hot" times.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, so how big is one bag? If it'll fit into one 5 gallon bucket, I'll go in on a full one and do what you suggest, just use an empty salt bucket to store it.

As far as the magnesium, is that one to simply mix in with the kalk? I used to use the coralife supplements to dose, but then simply switched to simply dosing kalk, now I've gone to B-Ionic with some doses of kalk. I've got a kalk reactor that I haven't hooked up yet that will eventually get used, and also a CA reactor that needs some work, but other than that, I have never used straight supplements. Is the plan to buy a bag of magnesium and split that up? Or, do you dose that in smaller increments without testing?

Dave,

I think Lee noted at some point half a bag fits into an old salt bucket. A full bag is 50lbs. Personally I use a Rubbermaid container which works for me. I also started with around 75lbs., so a bucket would only hold part of what I have. I do think a salt bucket is a better solution since they are relatively air tight to guard against moisture. There are many ways to store it, keeping it dry is the "biggy".

At this time I am looking to place the order on or around the 17th of this month. This will be after Chip's Valentine's Day rush.

I'm not really an expert on the two-part supplements. In terms of dosing the Magnesium, it is a separate item from a Kalk drip and/or reactor. The link Garret put earlier in the thread to Reef Central describes the Magnesium supplement a little bit.

Guest Wombat

I'll upgrade to a full bag. I think that now leaves us half a bag short.

Simon

We have enough for the order! Xeon could we have the order delivered before the meeting?

Dave,

what exactly are we ordering? Is it just the kalk or are we adding magnesium and calcium chloride as well?

Garrett.

If we are including Mg, I'm in for 1 bag of that as well as my 1/2 bag of kalk.

Dave,

what exactly are we ordering?  Is it just the kalk or are we adding magnesium and calcium chloride as well?

Garrett.

If we are including Mg, I'm in for 1 bag of that as well as my 1/2 bag of kalk.

52255[/snapback]

I know this sounds kind of dumd but what does MG do/benefit?

Yes, having the lime part done before the meeting should be no problem. At last call they had plenty of stock in their VA facility. Since they are coming to Chip's shop, I don't know if he wants to haul them to the meeting. If Chip says he can or would do this, or if someone else would like to volunteer to do this... please do share. At the present moment I do not envision the time to go to Chip's, carry whatever quantity home and then take it to the meeting.

Half-baggers should also try and match up with a lime buddy. Splitting bags at Chip's shop and/or the meeting IMO are not ideal conditions.

The Magnesium part will toss a kink into this altogether since it isn't stocked locally and would have to be transferred from Atlanta. At least I believe that is where they told me the closest was. I think I may be able to request delivery of the Kalk and have the Magnesium part shipped when it comes in for no additional charge... but I will have to run it by them. I am out of town until Thursday evening of this week, so I won't be looking into this until Friday.

For those requesting info on the Magnesium portion, read some of what Randy from the Reef Chemistry forum on RC has to say about it. I have never used a two part dosing system, nor have I looked into it enough to answer intelligently about it.

If this order hasn't been put in yet .. better put me down for half a bag or if someone was ordering a full just to complete the bags I'll help split that with them.

ok so far we have :

Myself 1/2 bag

jimcroce21 1/2 bag

Larry Grenier 1/2

wombat 1 bag

neon 1/2 bag

dhoch 1 bag

Lee Stearns 1/2 bag

Dbartco 1/2 bag

Davelin 1/2 bag

Leishman 1/2 bag

discordja 1/2 bag

ireland 1 bag

Edward j 1/2

Folta 1/2

Kimo 1/2

Total 9 bags

Who else wants in?

These are 50lbs bags at $23-29 per bag.

Actually, If it is not too late, I would like to pull myself out of the order. I am getting out of the hobby.....

unninair

(Unni)

52891[/snapback]

Unni, Don't give up, you have a nice tank and really only lost one fish due to the weather. Try and be perpared next time, pick up a 30 - 50 buck inverter and you won't really have to worry. If you need help let me know. Don't worry about the lime i am sure they will find someone else.

OK, as I figure it... we are at 7.5. So, Rob aka Ne0eN, I hope you do not mind that I bump you to a full bag. I have a little under 75lbs., which is more than I need, so I truly do not need anymore.

Status: Called it in and the ladies in the office claim they have no stock. I also have an old P/N, so my sales guy should have a real answer for me this afternoon. I cannot find the new P/N he gave me and he is out of his office until this evening. I told him we are trying to get delivery this week. If it happens, Thursday is most likely the day. I should have the answer this evening on stock availability and ship date.

Guest Edwardj

I'll take a half bag. Also, I have a pick-up truck, I can pick this up at Chip's shop and bring it to the meeting if that is needed.

Edwardj

Edwardj,

NeOen is flexible between a half and full, so you are in. Thanks for the help with the truck. As this progresses, people should post where they want to pickup at.

No word on stock status yet... I am bugging my guy again this morning. At the worst, I hope we can get delivery next week.

Best pickup for me would be the meeting (so hopefully by then).

Dave

OK, as I figure it... we are at 7.5.  So, Rob aka Ne0eN, I hope you do not mind that I bump you to a full bag.  I have a little under 75lbs., which is more than I need, so I truly  do not need anymore. 

53145[/snapback]

Fine with me. I'm flexible - with 1/2 bag being my preference.

-Rob

I will get 1/2 a bag if that rounds us up. If I'm in, then I would like to pick it up at the meeting if possible. I can bring a 5g salt bucket for my 1/2 bag. Who wants to be my 'lime buddy' !? =p