5g jug to transport water

MBVette

Im looking for a few 5g jugs to transport water.  I am setting up a tank for my nephew (27g cube) but I am not setting up a rodi at their house, so I am just going to use my setup and bring them water on the weekends.  So I need a few jugs that are good for transporting some water.  What are you guys using to move water around.  I figure I will bring them 10g fresh and 5g salt every week for water changes and top off.  So any recommendations?

Thanks

If you have buckets already you can get screw tight lids from HD. If you're looking for new ones, walmart sells 6G camping jugs. They sit up right and don't take so much space. I believe 2 camping jugs side by side is about the same width of a 5g bucket.

Edited by kjamaya

Walmart sells aqua-jugs in their camping section...I believe fhey are 5g. When I use to buy water I simply used 5g red plastic gas jugs that you can buy at Lowes...very well built for transport, good handle.

Problem with 5g buckets is they wont be easy for my nephew to pour w/o causing a mess and I would like to have him do everything when I am not there.  I dont want him to rely on my brother to do the work for him so I am trying to find the easiest things for him to use.  So I am looking for something with a spout or at least something easier than a bucket.

He probably won't need 5 gallons fresh per week (maybe 3?) and a 5 gallon change will probably be almost 30% of actual water volume. Assuming he isn't keeping anything extremely delicate that's probably overkill (seeing as it will involve home visits). Heck 5 gallons every 2 weeks is probably plenty.

If it's fish only, treating tap water is probably fine - though I admit I don't use tap. At 87 cents a gallon it may be easy enough to pick up distilled for top offs in the gallon jugs.

Keep it simple and he will stay interested. :-)

More than 5g in a jug or bucket and I think about wear and tear on the back. In any case, you might also spring for a cheap pump and some tubing to take lifting out of the equation during water changes

Its probably about a 25% waterchange with a 27g tank and a 10g ish sump.  I want to try to teach him to be diligent in taking care of the tank so I want him to do the waterchange every week.  But I could only put 3-4g in that container for the water change.  I am also setting him up an ATO so he can just keep an eye on that instead of having to look at the sump to determine water levels.

I think this will be a reef tank, some soft corals and maybe an anemone for the clowns he will have in there.  But Im going to try to keep it lighty stocked to keep things easy on him.

5 gallons is over 40 lbs... I would go with a bottle with a spigot on it or set him up with a container that you can fill up with more than 5 gallons and he can bring smaller 1-2 gallon buckets to it.  I just gave away a bunch of the jugs a month ago but can look to see if I have another one if you want as I don't use them,