Zoas stretching?

Arkonen

I'm starting to notice some of my zoas are stretching fairly far.  They are healthy as can be and are looking the best they ever have, but their tube structure is getting really long... some even up to an inch long.  A few of them also have even gotten wider in size too.  Ever seen or heard of this?  

I'm running 3 AI Hydra lights on a 125g at about 70% about 1ft off the top.  

Mine stretch sometimes as well, usually at the bottom of the tank. I always figured they were stretching for light?

Just sounds like they are stretching, to be closer to the light.... Possibly move them higher up if you can, should be alright... or start raising the Light's Output slightly.

Either or... I'd get them closer to the light, if the other corals look just fine.

I just saw some zoa's/paly's at IC today that appeared to be way larger than I have ever seen before.  I was told some do get bigger, stretch, etc, depending on what kind of zoa's they are, some grow bigger than others.  Not sure what kind of zoa's you have, just thought I'd throw it out there......

I've never heard of "stretching" being an issue. A huge colony of zoas will be stretched out of necessity as only the ones closest to the edge will be able to get any light while still being close to the rock.

Stretching for light. Some will some wont. Every zoa wants or requires different light. What I've personally noticed with my zoas is the higher end zoas tend to want half way up or higher

• 4 years later...