Food making party

eddi

Michael is hosting a food making party for the MD folks and I am going to have one for the VA ones.  I live in the Fair Lakes area of Fairfax.  You DC people are out of luck!  

Just kidding.

I plan on having mine on Saturday, February 28 around lunch time.  I can be flexible depending upon everyone's schedule but I am planning on going to the market at 11 and be home by 12, in case anyone wants to come along.  Please reply here if you plan on coming then PM me for my number and directions.  

I have made my own food several times, but never in real large quantities so we can fumble our way through together.  How can you pass that up?

Eddi

eddi et al, here is a thread from when steve made food

http://www.wamas.org/cgi-bin....;t=1293

And borneman's recipe from which I have based mine- you will see a lot of comments from me in the thread....

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=176530

Keep in mind- I am of the feeling that the recipes work both for fish and inverts- as long as you leave pieces of appropriate size for the respective animals....

Have fun reading, both threads are rather long- but there is a lot of good information in them.

p.s.  B- Beer is not one of the ingredients that should go in the food- though you might enjoy it while making it!

Eddi,

So you are inviting folks to start messing with fresh raw

seafood.

Are room freshner sprays optional.?? :D

will catch you later.

-krish

The reefkeepers can handle the smell- it's not as bad as acropora out of water :)

The spouses on the other hand are another story!

Eddi, I'd be very honored to get a bag of fish mush, I'll be happy to contribute my portion of the needed funds!  Plus by me not being there, you save from having me turn your pre mush into my instant sushi lunch :p

BTW, I'd suggest skipping the octopus we tried in the last batch, it has the unique ability of sending any skimmer into ultra overdrive in 10 seconds flat!

Michael, my wife is very understanding... as long as we do it outside! (Hope it's not below freezing!)

Glenn, thanks for the warning but I don't use octopus, mainly because it is tough to cut to the right size.

Eddi

I am in - live nearby in Burke- besides it gives me a chance to see your tank! Do you want me to bring anything besides my fair share of funds? I have not had the pleasure of doing this yet because I have been procrastinating on getting all the stuff into the wifes' blender.

Regards,

Lee

Guest Kimo

How are we going to freeze the stuff?

Are we just going to take some mushy ziplocs home?

Lee and Garrett,

No, you do not need to bring anything at all.  Just lots of cash!

Jamie, bring a cooler to store the ziploc bags until you can freeze them.  The cheap kind from 7/11 work great in a pinch.  And the zipper kind of bags are much safer and easier to work with than the interlock kind.

To all,

Please send me a PM with your e-mail address and I will send you directions and a list of ingredients to make sure you do not want to add anything.

Thanks.

Guest Kimo
Zipper?  Interlock?  Are you talking about the ones with the plastic piece vs the yellow and blue make green kinds?

Drat.  Son is in the VA State Gymnastics Meet in VA Beach on Sunday, 29th.  Dunno if I can make this, as we may be driving on to the meet.

Please confirm date/time.  I'll show up if I can, even for a little bit, to encourage, photograph, meet, greet...  Sweet!  (but stinky!) :p

Steve

Well, your description is much more technical then mine but yes, the ones with the pastic clip are preferrable to the yellow and blue make green ones!

Steve, time and location are confirmed  Rain date would be the following day, Sunday.

Sweet.  Eddie, as we talked about via PM, I hope to be there.

All, those of you attending are in for a treat.  Your fish and inverts will be getting a treat too, that is for sure, but the tanks you will see this weekend are NICE.  

How about we do a live sand swap and or a little frag trading?

Phil

Phil,

I really appreciate the comment about my tanks, however they may not be so nice on Saturday.  I am experiencing a severe Phosphate outbreak in my 125 and it has affected several of my SPS.

I am working on it.

Guest Kimo

Yes, I would like to swap some sand, and I will have some green digitata frags to trade/sell.

J

Thanks Eddi for hosting.  I dropped some of the food into the tank when I got hom last night at everything went crazy.  I forgot to grab a copy of the recipe from you though.

Garrett.

Garrett,

it was my pleasure, I would not mind at all hosting it again.  I am sorry I underestimated the quantities and everyone only walked away with two bags, next time I will know better.

Thanks Eddi,

For letting us mess up your place.

Special thanks to your better half as well.

I concur with the quality of our home brew

food. The fish went crazy.

Hope your 125G gets better.

Btw Grav, thanks for the kelp.

-krish

Guest Kimo

Eddi -

Thanks (again)!

AWESOME tanks!  

Jamie