If it couldn't get worse...what kinda of nudi is this?

smallreef

So, I've not had good luck since my husband left for work this month...

5 dead fish....

Skimmer pump dead...

And now this!

I'm assuming its a zoa eating nudi, but please correct me ...and hopefully I am wrong...

image-86.jpg

You might also check for their egg clusters, usually located on the side of the polyp, at the disc end.  Eggs appear as a 1/16"-1/8" diameter circle of small white dots.  Normal dips like iodine or Revive won't kills the eggs.

Good luck!

I've got some Dave... But the ones I pulled out where on the sand and glass NOWHERE near the nudi side of the tank....so I'm going to pull and dip still...but FWE the tank to get all the swimmer out...

They seemed stressed, then I didn't help...so my hippo broke out with ich...then my other tang...(they died within a week of looking bad) on the 1st when my husband flew out....then my large lamarck(whom was part of why the hippo was stressed...he chased him everywhere) the next morning, though he didn't display any signs of ich...

Then my cardinal and lastly, so far, my pair of clowns...

My tomato clown looks horrible ... He will probably go :(

The rest of the fish look okay....

Yikes Kim, bad luck. If I can do anything to help, please let me know.

wow, i'm really sorry to hear that. they were all from your previous system? did you consider prophylactic treatment for the additions to the new tank? shucks, if i can help in any way please let me know. that's a lot to handle but i know you'll persevere,

I've only added 3 fish to the new tank...and other than a fish I added the day before the first death( I already knew something was up...but ignored my internal alarm) I've not added a fish since the week after thanksgiving (I think that's when we did the road trip)....

So I believe it was just something the hippo had and got exacerbated...no hippos for me :(

And then almost the same thing for the corals! I haven't added a coral in over a month and the last batch I did add were dipped in revive...there was a batch before them that I didnt dip...but no zoas in that batch...

I'm just having a bad beginning to my year,lol all the bad things I've never had are catching up with me...in all my years of keeping fish I've never had an ich outbreak or nudis or bad critters other than plain flatworms...

So I dipped all the zoas last night...a little over a 15 minute bath...and found about 30 of the nudis in the bottom of the bucket...I then scrubbed each bottom/plug/and inbetween anything that looked like it could be eggs or sand,lol, then rinsed in freshwater then rinsed in tank water before going back in....

I borrowed a skimmer last night that I'm going to get online today after work, and then do a batch of FWE tonight...

The last standing fish that is sick is probably on his last 'leg' and this may send him over the edge, but I tried to getbhim last night and do a FW dip but he was still to fast (I should say she cuz I believe it's a female tomato clown...not sure as one died a long time ago)

Thanks Jason....

I did a round of the FWE and watched alot fall off and die...

Blue zoo aquatic says to do another round in 5 days after the eggs possibly hatch and another round 2 days after that...so we will see...

Like I said though, I scrubbed the crap outta these things, so as long as they only lay eggs on or near the zoas I should have gotten atleast 75% of them...

I thought only high amounts of flat worm exit was good for getting rid of nudis as a coral dip, are people using it as an in tank treatment now? Sorry you got them! Just another pest everyone should be aware of and active in keeping out of our reef tanks. Seems like recently this topic has litter ally been ignored by most of the wamas community.

Just another pest everyone should be aware of and active in keeping out of our reef tanks. Seems like recently this topic has litter ally been ignored by most of the wamas community.

I don't think it's been ignored. But I would venture to say it's not driven home enough. I would venture to say that 90% of people in this hobby don't QT their fish, until they have to deal with a tank outbreak of something like Marine Velvet, or severe Ich. Then I bet you they will.

As for dipping corals, I didn't know I was supposed to do that until about 2, maybe 3 months into this hobby. Dip everything, trust nobody, even your best reefing friend might have red bugs or AEFW. If I had more space, I'd set up a holding tank.

Kim, sorry again that you're going through this. I as well have some zoas you can have if you need some some to recoup.

They seem to be doing better...

The FWE treatment is for the entire tank...to get the nudis that are just traipsing around the tank after I already pulled and dipped and scrubbed each zoa and rock with zoas ....now it's just killing the ones that were aimlessly wandering, and then to redose to kill the eggs, if there are any left, that hatch...so I only saw about 4 still on the zoas before I dosed the tank...they all died withing about 15 minutes it seems...but don't now if there were any other hiding ...so in another 5 days I'll dose the tank to kill any hatchlings and another 2 days after that...

I got my pump on my skimmer fixed and the borrowed skimmer is also going on my tank so extra skimming and aeration while I'm doing this....

So...I've been keeping a very close eye on the tank...will do my second round of FWE tomorrow morning when I am at home...

But looks like I got them...so this may be an extra treatment but just to be safe....

And all of my zoas have been opening up well already...

I had one of those in my tank not too long ago. My zoas would not open! I picked the zoa-eating-nudi out and the zoas opened. Haven't seen any in a couple months. Take a bright flashlight (even if lights are on), a magnifying glass and pick them out. I once got rid of an infestation of asterinas by picking then out with tweezers. It took months and diligence but I did get rid of them all and haven't seen one in over a year.

I had one of those in my tank not too long ago. My zoas would not open! I picked the zoa-eating-nudi out and the zoas opened. Haven't seen any in a couple months. Take a bright flashlight (even if lights are on), a magnifying glass and pick them out. I once got rid of an infestation of asterinas by picking then out with tweezers. It took months and diligence but I did get rid of them all and haven't seen one in over a year. In your case the dips  will help a lot too.

I had one of those in my tank not too long ago. My zoas would not open! I picked the zoa-eating-nudi out and the zoas opened. Haven't seen any in a couple months. Take a bright flashlight (even if lights are on), a magnifying glass and pick them out. I once got rid of an infestation of asterinas by picking then out with tweezers. It took months and diligence but I did get rid of them all and haven't seen one in over a year.

That would be very hard in my tank,lol it's 2 ft deep and I already have to stand in the top of my step stool to almost reach the bottom! Lol but I have found the FWE is really a good option...it freaked out the micro brittle starts a bit but everything was fine...even at 1 drop per gallon which is the ratio for nudis that is bit more than the FWE treatment for FWE...