Emissary's 180G Tank Thread

emissary

What wattage are each of these?

Running each of them separately or together? on/off?

Will you use other supplimental lighting? acitincs?

-Carl

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What wattage are each of these?

250W Ushio 10k

Running each of them separately or together? on/off?

I plan on turning the one in the east ( :) ) 1st. Then 1/2 hour later the middle one. then 1/2 hour later the last one. They will turn off in the reverse order. The timers I ended up buying from Home Depot actually are geographically aware, know about sunrise and sunset (though I'm not using that feature) and will correct for daylight savings time (If I'm reading correctly).

Will you use other supplimental lighting? acitincs?

I have 2 96W PC lamps running very close to the water at a funny angle. They'll come on 1 hour before the halides and turn off 1 hour after. I also have a pair of

R2 Moonlights that will run at night.

Other lighting includes the 2 23w TCP T2 5100K over the under-tank fuge/sump and the 1 16w TCP 5100k floodlamps that I'll run when the moonlights are on over the respective fuges.

I plan on turning the one in the east

Are you sure that the sun rises in the east on the side of the equator where

these corals are native to? :biggrin:

If not, you run the risk of the polyps only growing on the undersides. :biggrin:

:bounce: :bounce: :bluefish: :bounce: :bounce:

OKAY. Migration is FINALLY done. Pictures abound:

100_5011.sized.jpg

There is now stuff in the tank!

Other pictures worth checking out:

The Arch.

The Overhang

Full tank overview shot:

100_5015_001.sized.jpg

The Left Side

Frogspawn Valley

Tunze Deco Rocks

The Lighting System

Wiring

Light Timers

Tunze MultiController

What's left? Cleanup. Installation of moonlight LEDs. Install black backing or paint. More Cleanup. Need additional 250W ballast (already in the works, wonder when the guy will drop it off). Need additional timer.

:bounce: :bounce: :bluefish: :bounce: :bounce:

P.S. What's with the limit on emoticons? grr.

Absolutly beautiful. I really need to switch from crushed coral to a DSB. How do you keep a send bed looking that fresh and nice. Again, amazing looking. Definitly keep posting pics when you add more stuff. Can wait till I have a large storage/wash room to put in a wall tank. Just a little thing called grad school to get thru.

Absolutly beautiful. I really need to switch from crushed coral to a DSB. How do you keep a send bed looking that fresh and nice. Again, amazing looking. Definitly keep posting pics when you add more stuff. Can wait till I have a large storage/wash room to put in a wall tank. Just a little thing called grad school to get thru.

Actually I use both very fine grain sand (southdown) COMBINED with the smaller kinds of crushed coral for sand bed diversity. As for keeping it white -- it's just been put in the tank, of course it's white! :) But in general when water parameters are good it stays clear. The keys are:

* Excellent water quality

* Good lighting (not OLD lighting)

* Good detritus cleaners (esp sifters, like large nassarius snails)

I agree with the nassarius snails. I bought 5 large nassarius snails last Saturday from BRK and they are amazing. I've only ever had turbo and glass snails. The nass come out as soon as I put food in the tank and start looking around for food. I'm definitly getting some more.

So today was the first day that had a "normal" light schedule. So far no particular problems. Temperature went from [heater defined] 79 degrees up to a peak of 82.5. Not awful, really. Still I have a fan I planned on mounting on the wall so I think I might as well for consistency. Thoughts? I could have it come on and go off with the last set of lights...

Yanek,

Tank is looking great! Can't wait until the tank tour! :bounce:

Jamesbuf,

HIGHLY RECOMMEND Nassarius Snails, get at least 1 for every 2-3g in your tank.

add the fan, helps with temp and bulb life if they run cooler.

So today was the first day that had a "normal" light schedule. So far no particular problems. Temperature went from [heater defined] 79 degrees up to a peak of 82.5. Not awful, really. Still I have a fan I planned on mounting on the wall so I think I might as well for consistency. Thoughts? I could have it come on and go off with the last set of lights...

Guest Bemmer

Yanek,

That is a beautiful tank setup. You have done a really nice job with the aquascaping. In-wall tanks are awesome...especially with that nice fish room behind it. :biggrin:

Rebecca

Yanek,

That is a beautiful tank setup. You have done a really nice job with the aquascaping. In-wall tanks are awesome...especially with that nice fish room behind it. :biggrin:

Aren't they though? I'd be ... uh... RED with pride ( :smokin: ) if I weren't green with envy ( :bounce: )

:cheers:

add the fan, helps with temp and bulb life if they run cooler.

Ok, added the fan. Temperature maintains a CONSTANT 79 degrees now with no deviation. A thing of beauty, but realistic? Seems like the temperature on the reef would change a degree or two over the course of a day/night cycle?

Of course evaporation has SKYROCKETED. I really need to find a good kalk dosing solution, I'm afraid I don't have anything that will do that well right now. For the moment I have my RO system plumbed directly into the sump (dangerous I know). Before we have a Kalk reactor build party, what's a good way to auto-topoff with kalk in a less than completely manual manner?

• 1 month later...

New pictures now that the tank's been running a litltle while. Have undergone a huge bout with green hair algae (bryopsis) that covered almost everything... most of it is gone, pockets of another kind of green hair algae still exist. Gorgonia you'll see in the pictures is still getting all clogged up daily but I blow the gunk off every day. Eventually as the algae in the tank goes away (it's slowly going away) it won't be a concern. This weekend I'm adding a sponge, sohal, and kole.

http://reef.korff.org/pictures/180G_Reef

Yanek,

How did you get that Sailfish in your tank????

:wink:

Does BRK Stock those too!

:bluefish:

Yanek,

How did you get that Sailfish in your tank????

:wink:

Does BRK Stock those too!

:bluefish:

Heheh, that's what my wife said! I haven't taken the time to put the backing on the tank yet.

• 1 month later...

Very nice! Didn't see any ich on the fish so I hope that the UV is working out for you. I read about the ozone smell and am glad that it went away. My guess is that there was an air bubble trapped in the unit and so it was heating up a bit and producing the ozone. I didn't smell any when I had it hooked up but also shook it a lot to make sure that the air disappeared out of it.

• 7 months later...

Stand courtesy HowardofNOVA

Tank courtesy NAGA

FRAG TANK IS NOW OPERATIONAL! (Empty, but I'll deal with that momentarily)

DSC_2538.sized.jpg

DSC_2760.sized.jpg

Guest Bemmer

Very nice frag tank. You are really going to like having one...for several reasons.

How are those large turbo snails doing? Did you get your flatworm problem taken care of. I did a large Flatworm Exit treatment to my main system with no ill effects. I used a bottle and a half of the stuff. I had them floating all over the tank. Syphoned them out as soon as I could and did a large water change. Worked like a charm...knock on wood.