Questions about cycling

craigdon

I've been out of the hobby for over a decade, so forgive me for forgetting a lot of the basics.

I've started cycling some rock and I was curious if I'm missing anything.

I picked up some rock from another member but he took some of it out of his tank over a year ago and the rest he took out about four months ago. It's been sitting outside since it was removed from his tank.

The plumbing on my display tank isn't finished yet, but I wanted to start the cycling process ahead of time. So I put rodi salt water, a heater, a power head and the rock in a trash can last night. Is this OK? What else should I be doing? I hope to have the display tank set up in the next week or so, can I move everything over at that time?

Since this rock was once live, but now it's not, do I need to add anything to it now?

At what point do I do water changes?

What should I expect during this process?

Thanks,

Craig

Wecome back to the hobby, Craig.  I think the two biggest things you still need are a source of ammonia and a test kit.  The rock is most certainly not live now so you will have to start the cycle all over again.  There probably will be some dead organic matter trapped in the rock but I can't tell for sure if it will be enough to start your cycle, therefore I would suggest you read up on ways to add ammonia into the tank such as putting in an uncooked shrimp or dosing ammonia directly.  Once you give that to the rock, then bacteria will build up to be able to process that into nitrites and then nitrates.  That is where the test kit comes in.  You should monitor the progress with the test kits until things become stable.  I am pretty sure it will be longer than "a week or so" before your cycle is complete, but if your tank is new without livestock, you could bring your rock and water over from the trash can and complete the cycle in the new tank.

Check this out:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/aquarium-filtration-biological-nitrogen-cycle/

Thank you Shoelace, the video was helpful. Which do you prefer? Shrimp or dosing ammonia?

I am going to add the Agra-alive sand once I transfer everything over to the display tank. Will this help with the cycle process?

I already have the test kits.

Craig

Wecome back to the hobby, Craig.  I think the two biggest things you still need are a source of ammonia and a test kit.  The rock is most certainly not live now so you will have to start the cycle all over again.  There probably will be some dead organic matter trapped in the rock but I can't tell for sure if it will be enough to start your cycle, therefore I would suggest you read up on ways to add ammonia into the tank such as putting in an uncooked shrimp or dosing ammonia directly.  Once you give that to the rock, then bacteria will build up to be able to process that into nitrites and then nitrates.  That is where the test kit comes in.  You should monitor the progress with the test kits until things become stable.  I am pretty sure it will be longer than "a week or so" before your cycle is complete, but if your tank is new without livestock, you could bring your rock and water over from the trash can and complete the cycle in the new tank.

Check this out:

http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/video/view/aquarium-filtration-biological-nitrogen-cycle/

Thank you Shoelace, the video was helpful. Which do you prefer? Shrimp or dosing ammonia?

I am going to add the Agra-alive sand once I transfer everything over to the display tank. Will this help with the cycle process?

I already have the test kits.

Craig

I dosed ammonia and nitrifying bacteria (Dr. Tim's), and had great success. I personally do not believe that there is any live bacteria in "live" sand that will help the cycling process. You should pre-rinse the sand to avoid a sand storm before you add it to the tank anyway. Buy dry sand, and save your money.

Orion brought me on board with Dr. Tim's.  I like it so far.  Today was my first date of nitrites (Woo hoo!) but I can't comment yet on how long it will take to cycle.  Many people like to use the shrimp.  Yes, you can pee in the tank. It's scientifically sound.  Nothing wrong with that, except, well, um..... ewwww! :eek: 

pee in the water, it's free!

+1.

You can also add a cup of household ammonia.

While you're waiting for the tank to cycle, do not buy an Ammonia or Nitrite test kit because if you let the tank cycle for the typical 4-6 weeks, Ammonia or Nitrite will not be present.

I cycle 20 or so tanks a year and NEVER test for either.

Nitrogen cycle takes 4-6 weeks followed by an algae cycle which will go for another 4-6 weeks followed by the bacterial cycle which will take another 4-6.

European and other successful reefers let a tank cycle for 3-6 months before adding livestock, but if you are the typical American who wants it NOW, then YMMV.

Interesting idea. If I decided to go this way, how much and how often? And I also hope nobody walks in on me while I'm in the process :). Did you do it this way?

pee in the water, it's free!

European and other successful reefers let a tank cycle for 3-6 months before adding livestock, but if you are the typical American who wants it NOW, then YMMV.

LOL, Craig, so are you American or are you-a-PEEan?  I'm personally (by my fault) impatient, so a test kit lets me know where I am.  If I had more patience, I would wait a long time as mentioned above!  More experienced and patient reefers do it that way.

I've heard this a couple of times and may get my bacteria in other ways, thanks.

How long have you been in Ellicott City? I grew up there and went to Mt Hebron... a long time ago.

I I personally do not believe that there is any live bacteria in "live" sand that will help the cycling process. You should pre-rinse the sand to avoid a sand storm before you add it to the tank anyway. Buy dry sand, and save your money.

I've heard this a couple of times and may get my bacteria in other ways, thanks.

How long have you been in Ellicott City? I grew up there and went to Mt Hebron... a long time ago.

Been in EC for about 5 years now. Grew up in Chicago

Did you do it this way?

I unfortunately learned about it after I cycled. Next time I will!

• 3 weeks later...

Update: Amonia has risen and now dropped to 0.

Nitrite is around 5.0 and I'm seeing some Nitrate as well.

It seems that my cycle is moving along, but I was curious if I should be doing anything else. Add anything to the tank or water changes?

Thanks

I see your in MD. I have a bottle of Instant Ocean Bio-Spira if you are interested. It’s not necessary but helps establish denitrifying bacteria for the final stage of the cycle. I decided not to use it as my cycle progressed so quickly. 

I see your in MD. I have a bottle of Instant Ocean Bio-Spira if you are interested. It’s not necessary but helps establish denitrifying bacteria for the final stage of the cycle. I decided not to use it as my cycle progressed so quickly. 

Thanks for the offer, but I'm not sure I'm going to be down your way anytime soon.  I'll PM you if something changes.

I used prodibio bio start starter kit,can get on line or at the marine scene(depending on ur location) i had dead rock,a small pc of live rock and was cycled and ready to go in 3 weeks....but everyone has their own method so you have many choices..