TIII and replacements

YHSublime

I've had a Typhoon III for about a year now, and not replaced anything of the filters. I've yet to look for the manual, but was wondering if you can suggest what should be replaced?

Buy the DI resin in bulk and replace it youself. AWI carries this also.

Edited by ToddR

Based on my research, I have chosen to follow the following schedule:

- Replace the carbon and sediment filters every 6 months (or so). Doing this will save your RO membrane. A TDS meter won't affect your carbon/sediment filter usage so it should be based on calendar.

- Replace the DI if the TDS rises above 0 ppm. A good DI could last a year with high end ones lasting even longer)

- Replace the RO if my rejection rate based on my tap TDS goes below 95% (or so). A good RO should last maybe 2 years is that I've heard.

IMO, there is no need to track your DI replacement w/ your carbon and sediment replacement schedules. It won't hurt but you probably won't be utilizing your DI to it's full extent. But since you're at a year, you may need to replace the DI too. Check your TDS #'s to make sure though.

Not sure about you bit I have the typhoon extreme and have to replace Di resin every 4 water changes which is 200 gallons total every 2 weeks. So it's getting pretty expensive. I'm not gonna continue to change resin so much. What are the negative effects of allowing Tds to get to 2 tds before changing?

Edited by pizzaguy

Not sure about you bit I have the typhoon extreme and have to replace Di resin every 4 water changes which is 200 gallons total every 2 weeks. So it's getting pretty expensive. I'm not gonna continue to change resin so much. What are the negative effects of allowing Tds to get to 2 tds before changing?

Somethings up w/ your system if you have to replace it that often. What's your TDS after the RO?

Something isn't right. There is no way your going through DI resin that quick. It would be cheaper for you to buy water from the LFS at that rate.

Edited by wildcrazyjoker81

I just ordered my filters, and my TDS is reading at 2 on the output, after a year of making a lot of water, and a lot of floods. I figure at about $50 a year I don't mind switching everything out.

I need to break out the directions and run through all the tests. I've had this system maybe 6 months and I'm on my 3rd big bag of brs resin.

Eric,

I think even w/ your water change schedule that you had to bring your NO3 down, you should still be on your first DI or at the most beginning of your 2nd. Check your TDS for tap, after RO and then after DI as well as your usual water pressure into your system and report back. If you're packing your own DI, are you sure it's packed in tightly? If it's loose, you will lose performance. I prefer to do pre-packed DI because I don't want to deal w/ knowing if I packed it right even if it costs a tad bit more.