Wall cutting

st9z

Wamas it has definitely been a long time. I guess I could not stay out forever :)

I am debating on cutting my basement wall to put up a 125 gallon tank up. I assessed the room as much as I can and I think it can be done. The only problem is I am not 100% sure. There is a beam that looks to be sitting on some wood panels. I don't think the wood panels are holding the beam up, since there is a metal cylinder at the end of the beams that goes into the concrete. I like to be 100% sure before I do any cutting. Can anyone tell from these pictures?

Wall outside the utility room with measuring tape measuring length of the tank

IMG_0084_zpse2a30ee8.jpeg

Metal cylinder that looks to be holding up the beam

IMG_7645_zpsf069bb4a.jpeg

Wood Panels

IMG_3671_zpsead480de.jpeg

Beam onto top of wood panels

IMG_3465_zps854a76ab.jpeg

Edited by YHSublime
Fixed your image links.

looks like your good to go. The tube is a stancion to support the I-beam which is supporting the Floor above.  the 2x4 supports the drywall/wall.  you can cut what you need and frame around your tank dimensions.

If ur putting the tank in wall and you have the room, I would highly suggest you do a 180 or the deep dimension. If you have the depth. Cost factor would not be that much in the end.

looks like your good to go. The tube is a stancion to support the I-beam which is supporting the Floor above.  the 2x4 supports the drywall/wall.  you can cut what you need and frame around your tank dimensions.

Great! Thanks for your input. Now if I cut the wall how hard would it be to put it back if I were to move? I should be able to save the cut pieces and mesh it together right?

Yeha', All the above is correct. Its basically just there, " To meet VA's Building Code's ", and something for the Drywall to hold onto...
   You may have to build a Frame later around the tank... So, It may be smart, to save the 2x4's, and use them later. Lol.

Yeha', All the above is correct. Its basically just there, " To meet VA's Building Code's ", and something for the Drywall to hold onto...

You may have to build a Frame later around the tank... So, It may be smart, to save the 2x4's, and use them later. Lol.

Good idea! I forgot about the frame part.

If ur putting the tank in wall and you have the room, I would highly suggest you do a 180 or the deep dimension. If you have the depth. Cost factor would not be that much in the end.

It would be ideal but I already secure the 120G.

Sa wat dee khrap!!

Welcome back!! You got lucky with the beam being there, that wall is great for putting a tank in. I'm not far from you so if you need any help let me know.

Sa wat dee khrap!!Welcome back!! You got lucky with the beam being there, that wall is great for putting a tank in. I'm not far from you so if you need any help let me know.

I assume there is a thai person in this thread? I'm half thai!

Sa wat dee khrap!!

Welcome back!! You got lucky with the beam being there, that wall is great for putting a tank in. I'm not far from you so if you need any help let me know.

Sa wat dee khai!

How have you been! I see you have upgraded to a 600 gallon since I was last here...congrats! I can definitely use your help! I am thinking about doing a bare bottom tank and as I recall your beautiful tank was the reason :) The wall being there all empty has been calling me to decorate it for 5 years now. I figure it is time.

Edited by st9z

Best wall ever for a tank with that beam right on top of it.  You can be sure it's not load bearing at least.  I second what the others said.  Get a deeper one than 125 since you're putting it in the wall.  Oh, and build a shadowbox behind it. 8)  If I ever put a tank in the wall it's getting a shadowbox behind it.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1868825

Welcome back!

When you cut it, just ditch the old chunk of drywall and the 2x4s if you can't get a clean cut out of it (most likely you'll cut the heck out of the area in order to frame it out around your tank).  2x4s and drywall are cheap to buy, if you need to rebuild the wall, just buy a couple of 2x4s to fit into whatever opening you have framed out and put a new chunk of drywall over it.  Better yet, get such a huge tank that your framing can double as a doorway!  :)

Sa wat dee khrap!!Welcome back!! You got lucky with the beam being there, that wall is great for putting a tank in. I'm not far from you so if you need any help let me know.

I am also half Thai and Chinese, but mainly speak Thai at home.

I bet for some homemade Thai food and beer, you could throw a wicked build party. I'd be in for that. Check out my build thread to get and idea of what I mean.

I bet for some homemade Thai food and beer, you could throw a wicked build party. I'd be in for that. Check out my build thread to get and idea of what I mean.

I'll bring my trademark som tam dogs!

Best wall ever for a tank with that beam right on top of it.  You can be sure it's not load bearing at least.  I second what the others said.  Get a deeper one than 125 since you're putting it in the wall.  Oh, and build a shadowbox behind it. 8)  If I ever put a tank in the wall it's getting a shadowbox behind it.

http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1868825

Wow! I really like the shadow box idea. It makes the tank look even more realistic. I might have to use that idea now.

Can I bring my saw-z-all over and we just cut this thing!

I am all for cutting things and making messes...I am very bad at finishing things though,lol better to 'help' others :)

I am glad I am not the only one eager to break down the wall. I really wanted to sledgehammer the hack out of the wall, but cutting it would be more practical.....I guess maybe after a couple of beers we can rethink the sledgehammer idea :)

Welcome back!

When you cut it, just ditch the old chunk of drywall and the 2x4s if you can't get a clean cut out of it (most likely you'll cut the heck out of the area in order to frame it out around your tank).  2x4s and drywall are cheap to buy, if you need to rebuild the wall, just buy a couple of 2x4s to fit into whatever opening you have framed out and put a new chunk of drywall over it.  Better yet, get such a huge tank that your framing can double as a doorway!   :)

lol I can probably market it as wheel chair accessible utility room. I noticed you put some black zip tie like things during the aquascaping the rock formation. Did you leave them in there and let the coraline algae grow around it? 

Deal! Now I just have to learn how to cook some Thai food. The only thing I can cook are nam tok and a spicy pork belly curry unfortunately.....maybe pizza will be safer for all

Wow! I really like the shadow box idea. It makes the tank look even more realistic. I might have to use that idea now.

I am glad I am not the only one eager to break down the wall. I really wanted to sledgehammer the hack out of the wall, but cutting it would be more practical.....I guess maybe after a couple of beers we can rethink the sledgehammer idea :)

lol I can probably market it as wheel chair accessible utility room. I noticed you put some black zip tie like things during the aquascaping the rock formation. Did you leave them in there and let the coraline algae grow around it?

Deal! Now I just have to learn how to cook some Thai food. The only thing I can cook are nam tok and a spicy pork belly curry unfortunately.....maybe pizza will be safer for all

We are all off today,lol improvised demolition/building party! Edited by smallreef