Skimmer question/survey for 350+ gallon tanks and systems

Swimboy123

300 gallon display, before I lost everything very heavy bio load (multiple large fish including some 8-10" tangs and angels). It's recirc with a direct feed, uses 3 pumps - 1 eheim and 2 sicce, believe 1262 eheim and sicce 2500s.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just called a ATB Cone Large.  Very similar to the 1260, just an earlier version.

An 8" body will handle 150-200g all day.  

Which ATB did you get?

I inquired about the AVAST CS-5 which is what I really want but it is $2500 bucks! 

Should have gotten it on the Booty Buy! (Also JK)

You may just want to consider total cost though factoring in the power of an iwaki/blueline @ 250-300 watts vs. a Sicce or two at 30w. (difference of 240w = 5.76 kwh/day = $252/yr @ .12c/kwh, check my math though)

A three or four foot dual beckett is hard to beat.  A friend has a MRC MR3 sitting in his closet, he is thinking about getting back into the hobby.  The power consumption and beckett maintenance caused me to sell my unit several years ago.  Having to clean the beckett weekly was difficult to deal with.  Those tiny snails you see spawning in your tank constantly clogged the beckett.

Category          Heavy Weight Championship Level

Skimmer           Beckett

Lighting            400w Metal Halide

Power Head      Tunze and Vortech

Note:  I have experience with the following skimmers, GEO Beckett (48"), MRC MR3 Dual, H&S A200, ASM G4+, and Bubble Master 200.

No disrespect, but your skimmer is performing "excellent" because its undersized and trying to keep up.  I would expect the XP5000 on a 400g system.  What you have seems to fit your reef keeping methods.

My skimmer, Bubble Master 200 is designed for a 150g-200g, which I ran on my 180g, is currently pulling duty on my 290g volume system.  I can see the smoke billowing out the skimmer pump its working so hard to keep up.  Skimmate is dark,nasty and rancid.  One other indicator I know the skimmer is lagging is because I am accustomed to the water in the tank to be invisible.  When you look inside the tank you do not see water, just fish, corals, and rock.  That is one sure fire way of knowing whether the skimmer is properly sized.  My system has a light bio load, as I move into the moderate level, I plan to upgrade.  I prefer external skimmers placed inside a sump, better control.

Quick question...does having dark, nasty and rancid skimmate mean that the skimmer is working too hard?  I am running an ATB 1050a on my system.  About 275-300 gallons with 25 fish.  The skimmate smells worse then when i had to change my kids diapers.  Even using Kalk powder, it still stinks...  I clean out the skimmer cup every week or so and my wife is always like.   "what the ^%$&*^ is that..."

Quick question...does having dark, nasty and rancid skimmate mean that the skimmer is working too hard?  I am running an ATB 1050a on my system.  About 275-300 gallons with 25 fish.  The skimmate smells worse then when i had to change my kids diapers.  Even using Kalk powder, it still stinks...  I clean out the skimmer cup every week or so and my wife is always like.   "what the ^%$&*^ is that..."

No necessarily, what happens in the skimmer cup is only part of the story.  What kind of skimmate would you get if you replaced the ATB with a HOB skimmer?  Skimmate would be dark, nasty, and rancid.  However, the system would not be cleaned adequately.  The bioload you described sounds moderate to high and the ATB is up for the challenge.

A three or four foot dual beckett is hard to beat.  A friend has a MRC MR3 sitting in his closet, he is thinking about getting back into the hobby.  The power consumption and beckett maintenance caused me to sell my unit several years ago.  Having to clean the beckett weekly was difficult to deal with.  Those tiny snails you see spawning in your tank constantly clogged the beckett.

Category          Heavy Weight Championship Level

Skimmer           Beckett

Lighting            400w Metal Halide

Power Head      Tunze and Vortech

Note:  I have experience with the following skimmers, GEO Beckett (48"), MRC MR3 Dual, H&S A200, ASM G4+, and Bubble Master 200.

Yea the snails is why I like my lifereef homemade thing with the mazzi injector. It never needs attending too, and I never need to clean anything but the cup. I think there has to be some good ways of keeping the snails out of your beckett injectors though.

You may just want to consider total cost though factoring in the power of an iwaki/blueline @ 250-300 watts vs. a Sicce or two at 30w. (difference of 240w = 5.76 kwh/day = $252/yr @ .12c/kwh, check my math though)

Note he has a large skimmer with only two pumps similar the the sicce your talking about. Even with the third running on his skimmer I think a good beckett or equivant skimmer would out do any other needle wheel option especially with ozone on the beckett. The wattage I would spend just for performance. Not sure how Braden feels about hat but he hasn't switched back to LEDs since gettin his t5 halide combo.

Great looking! I don't like the internal skimmers as much because only half the skimmer body is getting filled wih bubbles, other versions you get a little more area. The sro 5000 internal I liked a lot, had great area for contact time and the bubbles were extreemly uniform going up to the top, completely different than most pumps and skimmers I have used. Not sure how the cone and uniform bubbles would make a difference though.