Power outage plans?

lutz123

With the first bit of winter upon us, I was wondering what everyone's contingency plans are for short term and extended power outages in cold weather. I have hand warmers and battery operated air pumps, plus a converter for the car if need be (I have 2 nanos and a pico). Do you raise your heater a bit?

Any hints (besides a generator!)?

I've always wondered how tank cooling would be affected if I taped the insulating panels that you can get at Home Depot to the glass panes during an outage.

Oxygenation and flow are both very important to maintain. I'd focus there first.

I have a generator that I can tie into and power part of the house. It came in handy during the derecho when our power was out for several hours. Highly recommended.

I have battery air pumps and a large generator that ties into the house panel.

I went out and bought a small generator just for the tank.

Always a good investment and peace of mind when you think of how much money and time we put into our tanks.

I read at one point that because most aquarium pumps have electomagnetic impellers, that they can be finicky with generators because generator energy (i assume portable) is not as smooth. Any experience there, or does a surge protector help?

Battery pumps,heavy towels and bubble wrap insulation(not the shipping wrap.. This stuff is silver and is a type of insulation) hand warmers and a wood stove to heat house w/plenty of oak to burn..8)