Hello All from Centreville, VA

Hey guys!

Just wanted to say hi.  Broke down and decided to pay the membership fees.. But knowledge is priceless right?

I am 23 and work full time in Chantilly at an engineering firm.  I moved back to the area after I graduated with my bachelors in civil engineering from Purdue in May 2012, and I'm currently working on my masters at George Mason in structural engineering.

I am new to the hobby and currently in the process of piecing together my 90 gal reef tank.  In fact I've been working on it, planning it out, and reading everything I can get my hands on for a little over a year now.  I've always wanted to get into the hobby, as I love viewing the fascinating reefs while snorkeling and scuba diving (Although only been diving once).

You may ask, why the long wait?  Well, after getting my undergrad I moved back home with my parents till I finish up with grad school, to save some money (Which somewhat goes to funding this expensive hobby  :happy: ).  After a year, the suspension is killing me, and I figure why wait till I graduate in 2015...  I finally convinced my parents with the art of persuasion (Mostly getting my mom excited about it so she could convince my dad) to let me install my 90 gal as a centerpiece in the living room after Christmas.

I have pretty much everything I need to get started and just ordered my dry rock and sand from reefcleaners.com 2 days ago.  I plan on purchasing the rest of my equipment, test kits, maintenance items, etc on Black Friday so I can piece it all together and start the cycling process at the beginning of the new year.

Thanks for reading my rambles!

welcome!!!

you just spent the best and most important $20 you ever will in this hobby!  You now have access to the for sale section that can really assist you in getting great equipment at dirt cheap prices....and well, the members on this board and their knowledge are priceless in this hobby....so welcome aboard..

start a build thread with your plans, what you have together so far...what you are still looking for etc....and don't forget the pics...we LOVE pics around here  :laugh:

Edited by sachabballi reef

Welcome!  I also live in Centreville!  Let me know if you need any help.

Thanks!  I actually just checked out your site today after I stumbled upon it, and I definitely plan on stopping by your store in Manassas sometime soon.  I've been looking for a place that sells frags in the area so I don't have to buy them online and have them shipped.

Nice, Welcome to the club. I'm not too far if you ever need help or anythin'. Sounds like you got a Nice plan goin'. What do you plan on stocking, SPS only, Mixed Reef, SoftieOnly??

My plan is to do a mixed reef.  I could look at SPS all day, but I definitely want to add some variety to my tank.  Hopefully Incredible Corals can help me out lol.

welcome!!!

you just spent the best and most important $20 you ever will in this hobby!  You now have access to the for sale section that can really assist you in getting great equipment at dirt cheap prices....and well, the members on this board and their knowledge are priceless in this hobby....so welcome aboard..

start a build thread with your plans, what you have together so far...what you are still looking for etc....and don't forget the pics...we LOVE pics around here  :laugh:

Yeah, I'll definitely be paying attention to that for sale section lol.  I've had some trouble in the last year buying some equipment from other reefers off Craigslist or eBay and it not working properly... I learned my lesson doing that, but I would feel a lot more comfortable in a community forum.

I will definitely be working on a build thread soon!  I have plenty of pictures haha.

Sounds Great. That's what I'm goin' for.. but leanin' towards SPS now.haha
   It is a Incredible ;) Store, and they are Great Guys...     Also, Fins and Feathers, Quantum Reef, and E.R.C., are a few Great One's also.    
         Lookin' forward to seein' that Build Thread. :)

Welcome, I live near Centreville and would be happy to pitch in if you need some help.  The equipment I've purchased from WAMAS members tends to be in good working shape for a good price, unlike buying from ebay where the person will never see you again.  The people here are really friendly and you will not regret asking their adivce.  The cost of this hobby is so much that you're $20 membership will be saved back in good advice the first month.

If you're limited by budget, you may consider making some of your own rocks.  Also, you can start out with lots of small frags and let your system grow in together.