Haddoni spawning event

zygote2k

The big green Haddoni that has been at the greenhouse and more recently at Dan's house has been at my house for about 2 weeks. It lives happily in its' flowerpot and has been growing/expanding daily till this evening when it apparently reached its' goal. It has grown to nearly 20" across and just released a huge sperm/egg bundle which of course has clouded the water and made it kinda musky smelling.

I got some video of it- I'll try to post some.

I wonder what effect this will have on the other Haddoni- a nice blue one that's much smaller...

Wow, in an earlier post I was like, wth are you posting jizz for but after watching the vids, i'm still saying gross but now it's pretty cool.

This hits at a project I'd like to run here at the zoo, if I could get my hands on enough haddoni's.  I'd like to get at least 10 going in the same tank and try to induce spawning.  Anecdotally, the blue one I've had for over 10 years will spawn if mildly stressed - say, just kept in a bag or bucket for a few hours, just so it thinks the world is ending and spawns...

If you get enough, you'd likely have enough of a mix of males and females to get good fertilization, and as you have seen - there's no shortage of gametes to work with.

I've had the coldwater tank of anemones start spawning after one begins, and I have been able to rear the larvae to three years old now.  I'm assuming that these warm water anemones with internal symbionts would grow even faster than the coldwater counterparts.  And, this would be a wonderful way to begin taking pressure off wild stocks.

Cheers

Mike

The office tank @ ORA has had some clam and coral spawns that wreak havoc on the system.  Its a staggering amount of organic 'debris' after a few hours and while the corals love that food, it will overwhelm most home systems.  Be prepared to filter or water change! 

Awesome that they are spawning. Glad you posted it.

The tank turned milky like when you dump in a bag of unrinsed sand. I got one skimmer cup full of gunk plus some gametes, then a cup full of liquid the next morning. When I got home from work, the water was clear again and all of the corals were at maximum polyp extension. Skimmer went back to normal.

No water change yet.