250w or 400w halide for 93 cube

cbashaw

I'm setting up a 93 cube and was wondering if I should get a 250W or 400w halide (will use 20k bulbs). the tank will be mostly lps, with some sps. 

Is a 400w overkill, and would I need a chiller? 

Can't wait to see pictures when you set it up. I would love to have that tank.

As for the light, I don't have any real opinions except a couple of Evergrows may be a good option. A 250 metal halide doesn't seem nearly enough.

Did you get the matching canopy? How do you plan to mount them. What are your goals for the tank?

(edited)

My plan is to frame the tank into a corner so it will be viewable from 2 sides. I won't have access from the back but it will be built into the corner, and framed in all the way up to the ceiling. 

I have already built the stand but need to skin it. I used the Rocketengineer design from reefcentral. equipment for the tank now.

So far I have an eheim 1260 return pump, and Avast cs-1 skimmer.

I'm Still trying to decide if I want to do a closed loop with an oceans motions or use tunze or vortech powerheads.

Edited by cbashaw

What type of reflector are you thinking of using? Will there be any other lights like T5 or LED?

I've been hearing good reviews about the hamilton cabo sun reflector, so I was thinking about going with that, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm hoping to only have the halide, but If I did decide to supplement  I would probably go with led's.

I would do a 250w and let it run longer. If you did a 400w you would not let it run as long and since you will have no other lights the tank would be darker for a longer period of the day which affects you viewing the tank. Does that make since?

yeah that makes sense to me. I was also worried about extra heat from the 400W so I think 250 is the way to go plus it seems like there are a lot more bulb options for 250. 

if you're not set on MHs and worried about heat and space and power consumption or maybe just want a cleaner look, i'm about to place an evergrow LED light order for a few folks that you join in on.

if not, i think the 250w like suggested is certainly the best idea given your application and needs for MH but is there a reason you wouldn't be interested in t5s instead?

it'll be great to see the built in once finished - maybe post some photos up of the work if you get the chance!

whatever option, I would recommend a secondary light source. I get a lot of pleasure seeing my lights change over the course of a day and it also extends the viewing time:

led actinic --> + t5 x2 --> + t5 x2 --> - t5 x2 --> - t5 x2 --> leds actinics

I have an old cheap 250w odyssea fixture around my house I can let you borrow for you to decide... Power compacts dont work so its only the MH..

I will have to look into the ever grows and see how they look over someone's tank.

@neto. Thanks for the offer. I will take you up on that after I get the tank in a few weeks. I would love to check out your tank too. I just moved to Urbana a few weeks ago over by the fire station on sprigg st.

I will have to look into the ever grows and see how they look over someone's tank.

and they are completely customizable to your aesthetic preference in terms of LED layout as well so if one is too purple, pink, white, blue, etc you can change it to your preference. then of course you have the two channels of adjustment as well. let me know if i can help with your research but there are tons of threads and posts about them and i would start there if you're not familiar with them.

g'luck and let us know how the build works out!

@neto. Thanks for the offer. I will take you up on that after I get the tank in a few weeks. I would love to check out your tank too. I just moved to Urbana a few weeks ago over by the fire station on sprigg st.

No problem, let me know... btw is that the area close to 355 where there is a lot of townhomes being built?

and they are completely customizable to your aesthetic preference in terms of LED layout as well so if one is too purple, pink, white, blue, etc you can change it to your preference. then of course you have the two channels of adjustment as well. let me know if i can help with your research but there are tons of threads and posts about them and i would start there if you're not familiar with them.

g'luck and let us know how the build works out!

I can vouch for these lights, I saw them over Leishman's tank and they look nice and well built.. they also have good reputation across forums..

I also have a 6' tank running x2 of the evergrow it2080s, my recent build of the 150 has just about every type of picture in there, blues, whites, etc.

No problem, let me know... btw is that the area close to 355 where there is a lot of townhomes being built?

Yeah those are the ones. I'm in one of the new townhouses right at 355 and sprigg st.

Thanks I will stop in at Erc an check them out soon.

I've followed yhsublimes build it looks great in the pics.

What ever grow would work best for my setup? Do I just need 1 d120?

assuming your dimensions are 29x29x24 and you said mostly LPS and some SPS you have a few options. you could do one d120 with no optics (for wider coverage) especially if in a canopy or enclosed. you could do one IT2060 that will give you better equal intensity across one axis. one d120 is said to cover 24x24 but you will see some shadowing after the 18" frankly. since you said you're doing mostly LPS i wouldn't worry about it and would welcome it as a retreat from the bright light for your LPS and for fish that need that space or are perhaps from deeper waters. you can do two d120s for wall to wall intense coverage as well. with a tight budget i'd do one and can always upgrade to two down the road. also depending on how you install, some folks install them diagonally because it works better with their space and it sounds like it would with yours as well. i'd probably go for one IT2060 diagonally mounted and confident you'd be really happy with results that way.

yeah, that's exactly what i envisioned. running one light diagonal would be great. that will look real clean.

for flow are you going to try to eliminate using any powerheads and just do a closed loop or internal pvc structure in the rocks to keep the two viewing panes unobstructed? some planning or your overflow, drain, and return system will definitely make the most of your design. eager to see the build thread!

yeah, that's exactly what i envisioned. running one light diagonal would be great. that will look real clean.

for flow are you going to try to eliminate using any powerheads and just do a closed loop or internal pvc structure in the rocks to keep the two viewing panes unobstructed? some planning or your overflow, drain, and return system will definitely make the most of your design. eager to see the build thread!

I have been giving a lot of thought about flow. I want as little equipment showing in the tank as possible.  I am leaning towards a closed loop with an oceans motions. I'm going to check out the evergrow soon and make my decision on lighting from there. 

I'm still buying all the equipment piece by piece for the build right now. It may take a little while to get everything I need but I will definitely start a build thread once things start moving forward with the build. Hopefully I will have water in it by the end of the year.  

• 2 weeks later...
(edited)

I ordered my tank today from aquarium one marine land frameless reef ready.

I have an eheim 1260 return pump, and am thinking about a tunze 6095 for flow. Will 1 6095 be enough for a mixed tank?

Edited by cbashaw