JacobB89's 180 gallon build!

last question...did yuo kalk/silicon/seal from the inside of the fishroom all around the framing in case of a spill....had a tube i carelesly hung on a bucket dump 5 gallons of RODI on the floor and it kept the water from hitting the drywall/going under the carpet in the adjacent room...just a thought while its all easy to access

That is some awesome advice.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Very nice man,

for the skimmate locker you could always paint the bucket black, drill a small hole in the top to fit a piece of hard tubing or plastic rod and then just add a float on the bottom that will push it up out of the top when the level gets high indicating time to dump.

bacteria in the bottle cant hurt to get the population going, you could also get a little biopellet reactor and skimmer in there if you have spares/qt set up stuff to really get things cycled.

really like the set up thus far....makes me want to get back on top of mine and finally finish out the fishroom vs living in disaster.

last question...did yuo kalk/silicon/seal from the inside of the fishroom all around the framing in case of a spill....had a tube i carelesly hung on a bucket dump 5 gallons of RODI on the floor and it kept the water from hitting the drywall/going under the carpet in the adjacent room...just a thought while its all easy to access

Problem for skimmate locker is there just is not room lower then the skimmer just high up like hanging from a rafter I'd have to use something a lot smaller unless there is a way to use a pump on a timer to turn on for say 30 seconds once a day to pump it up maybe not sure.

As for what you said about cycleing the rock I'll do that once its done curing just didn't know if it would help now.

so i know its only been like 4 days since i started cooking this rock but i wanted to get a base of what phosphates i am starting with. So took a sample and tested with my hannah checker. got 0.00 ppm.so does this mean there arent any phosphates? or have they not started to leach yet? just curious.

(edited)

figured id test the ammonia and nitrate as well.

i don't trust my ammonia kit to the max its just a api test kit. no3 is salfert.

ammonia-1.0

No3 1-2.5ppm

glad to see 0 phosphates though.

so i guess its cycleing more then anything now? but i put nothing in there like raw shrimp or what not.

well jsut read this on the site as well

we ship ammonia chloride with the Fritzyme bacteria, this will act as a food source for that bacteria. During this time you should monitor ammonia, nitrite and nitrate. Once you see ammonia and nitrite stable at -0- or very near -0- and nitrate on a steady decline, your rock is considered “cycled”.

so ill wait and see how this goes.

next step i know i need to do os for the bleached old rock that i have it has been bleaching for 3 days now so should be pretty good. Will be getting some dechorinade to neutralize  the bleach then rinse and let sit in the sun and rinse again.

Edited by jacobB89

• 2 weeks later...

Rocks still cooking doing good some updates on the fish room though moving along slowly.

Got the frag tank stand made and tank in place to start plumbing on that. got room for the QT tank under it. Got the water making station stand made and got barrels on also got the RoDi all moved from other room to this room. Forgot to get a pic of that its a custom system me and Hubbard42 rigged together to make 6 stage out of.

20140719_1612271_zpsde97c2ee.jpg

20140719_1612191_zpsafea2db2.jpg

20140719_1612061_zpsabdc0ad6.jpg

Also did my first test on the avast skimmer and cleaned it at the same time with a vinagar bath. only 1 leak i found that was from the collection cup should be easy to fix.

20140719_1601491_zps05c82a92.jpg

I wish I went with the smoked body now. I like to see how my water level is sitting, but it looks pretty clear in yours (at least clear enough to tell.) Almost there,huh?!

I wish I went with the smoked body now. I like to see how my water level is sitting, but it looks pretty clear in yours (at least clear enough to tell.) Almost there,huh?!

You can still see the water level just a touch darker. Getting closer this weekend has been the most I have got done in a while. Just got done painting the frag stand and mixing station rack.

Also covered the white floor walk area with same pain just so it won't show sort as much from walking.

Biggest PITA will be painting the tank stand. Wish I would of done it prior bit rushed to get tank in lol.

5e6a2uhu.jpgsyhanupy.jpg8uty9esu.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Apex coming this week along with pump for mixing station. Also going to run new electric into the room and wire in lights as well. Hope to also finishing all the main plumbing. Main tank and frag tank together.

Got a hammerhead pump coming in. I have a design but its a sloppy hand draw one lol.

Its 2 55gallon drums 1 for fresh water. 1 for salt. 1.5" plumbing.

Just found this, great looking build!

Thanks its probably the slowest most changing build on here lol. I change my mind or get ideas daily... But its why we love this hobby.

• 2 weeks later...

Wow! That's great! All that time has started to pay off!

Wow! That's great! All that time has started to pay off!

yea i got started on the mixing station today and sanded and did another coat of mud. getting there... water soon as drywall is done.

Just found this thread.  You are not too far from me either.  Great work so far, and I can't wait to see pictures when its all done.