JacobB89's 180 gallon build!

One of us, one of us!

Jacob, seriously check out Der's build, I wish I removed my overflows sometimes.

I'll be looking at it again soon as I get some time off. Overflows are gone no turning back lol. Now 1 question what does everyone do with the old overflow holes at the bottom patch with glass or use bulkhead? I would rather use glass if possible so I don't need to drill out holes in platform but just wondering how anyone did there's.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

well its all done!!!!!

ran into 2 problems with the skimmer though nothing to major.

1 both the hoses for the pumps to silencer are to short.

2 one of the small SCD 80 pipes was to short to friction fit so either needs to be glued or ill get a longer one.

1920374_816961651654011_1019500820_n.jpg

I love it! I'm jelly of your swabbie and superlocker as well. I wouldn't have to look at my sump if I had those! Honestly, I only have to empty my cup about 1x a week, and even then it only get's to about 1/4 full, but I skim super dry. I sometimes wish I went with the smoked look, but I like to see what's going on inside.

Do you have an apex that you're going to hook it all up ta'?

hey jacob, those are some nice goodies! i'd really recommend a clear/transparent bucket to allow you to monitor the skimmate level in there. they are tough to come by in clear but these are transparent enough to be able to see the level within the bucket. justin (avast) has had good luck with them hooked up to the superlocker so it fits. i still need to get mine wired up to my apex! if you find a truly "clear" 5-gallon let me know, though!

http://www.autogeek.net/clear-car-wash-bucket.html

edit - there's also a few coupon codes floating around in the interwebs to check out prior to paying.

Edited by monkiboy

Very cool!

Thanks

I love it! I'm jelly of your swabbie and superlocker as well. I wouldn't have to look at my sump if I had those! Honestly, I only have to empty my cup about 1x a week, and even then it only get's to about 1/4 full, but I skim super dry. I sometimes wish I went with the smoked look, but I like to see what's going on inside.

Do you have an apex that you're going to hook it all up ta'?

Yea it looks nice will look better with it under the tank lol....

Yes i am getting a apex as well.

hey jacob, those are some nice goodies! i'd really recommend a clear/transparent bucket to allow you to monitor the skimmate level in there. they are tough to come by in clear but these are transparent enough to be able to see the level within the bucket. justin (avast) has had good luck with them hooked up to the superlocker so it fits. i still need to get mine wired up to my apex! if you find a truly "clear" 5-gallon let me know, though!

http://www.autogeek.net/clear-car-wash-bucket.html

edit - there's also a few coupon codes floating around in the interwebs to check out prior to paying.

Sweet thanks ill look into that would be nice to see into the bucket.

ps im pming you i want this tank in soon so I want to pick your brain.

• 1 month later...

been a while ive been neglecting my build some not a whole whole lot has been done other then spending money lol.

Good news is 

Tanks is drilled

Tank is in the house now.

glass for sump and overflows are in

heaters came in

some plumbing came in still need a ton!

started the sump build out siliconed most of it last night few more parts to do after it cures.

Things left on the list to do before drywall can go up.

build stand for 40G frag tank and 30 gallon QT tank.

build base and put in 2 55gallon drums for water

Finish running electrical.

supplies/equipment I still have to order

apex

sand

dry live rock

salt

lots of plumbing

filter socks

beer

some random pics.

20140422_204505_zpsktbiio2y.jpg

20140423_133236_zpsfuszrxkq.jpg

good for you man-  so much better without the corner overflows!

yea lol took a little more time but i think it will be worth it in the end!

need 1 more piece of glass cut now 3.5" holes in the glass for my filter socks was not be enough needed 3.75 so waiting for that hole saw to come in now... lol

some progress pictures slowly but surely coming together!

Sump will not stay where it is in picture just moved it out to silicone.

20140509_201354_zpsizsebagb.jpg

20140509_201420_zpsune2wero.jpg

20140509_201434_zpsinpahic3.jpg

external box made

20140509_201334_zpsx3b4xx4w.jpg

manifold all set up thanks to monkiboy for link for that.

20140506_143012_zpszve1qm11.jpg

Very nice progress!

thank you

nice dude - looks awesome. i like your version!

thanks i change it every day it seems.

I have an external pump I was going to use for my salt mixing and moving that water to the tank but i think I want a new one or one less beat up then the one i have.

1 more step closer internal box is in wait for it to dry then tomorrow the external.

20140513_212428_zpspkxoqn0h.jpg

20140513_212444_zpsjkmg4ysl.jpg

Question for anyone who may know.

going to use 2 55 gallon drums for water and mixing side by side what would be the best way to plumb them together? thinking uniseals as they are not flat.

nice - you'll be so glad you went with glass. the acrylic i had made is distorting and bending and flow is only coming over the bending edges now. i am swapping mine with glass soon. any reason you went inbox style instead of just a narrow box? plans to paint it?

for the external box, how much room did you leave your self for the holes to the outer edges? just want to be careful of stress..i ended up with a wider box for this purpose. also easier to clean things out if you can reach your hand in

love the inbox style and is something i shuolda done for my internal...jsut looks nicer i think.

also random tidbit....i have a clown that loves to sleep at the top of the water...and she falls into the overflow all the time...i now have it adjusted so in the event of a power shut off and her in there she has a little water to swim in vs being left in the dry.

nice - you'll be so glad you went with glass. the acrylic i had made is distorting and bending and flow is only coming over the bending edges now. i am swapping mine with glass soon. any reason you went inbox style instead of just a narrow box? plans to paint it?

After looking at yours and some others I think it looked sleeker the a square box. No plans to paint the internal box as for back of tank probably use a black curtain on hangers.

for the external box, how much room did you leave your self for the holes to the outer edges? just want to be careful of stress..i ended up with a wider box for this purpose. also easier to clean things out if you can reach your hand in

love the inbox style and is something i shuolda done for my internal...jsut looks nicer i think.

also random tidbit....i have a clown that loves to sleep at the top of the water...and she falls into the overflow all the time...i now have it adjusted so in the event of a power shut off and her in there she has a little water to swim in vs being left in the dry.

Distance is same as internal so 36" long 10" tall 5" deep.

So about 6" from edge to hole if that's what you were saying.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

nice dude. i like how thick the main panel of the internal overflow is now that i can see that in the photo you posted better. you'll be glad you went that way as it'll help silence the wall falling. the good thing is that your drain holes to the external are higher so the water will stay high in the internal like we talked about and then you can modify your external bean plumbing to ensure quiet fall from those to the external accordingly. i love it when folks do their homework, ask advice on specifics not covered, heed advice, and actually implement diligently. kudos to you and i hope yours works exactly as you have planned it out. i know there are always seemingly one or two things we wish we did differently but this looks really swell. what are you going to do for blocking out the overflow from the viewing outside the tank? an insert? paint it? if you're going to paint it, now is the time, sir. i run an ABS insert which works really well. glad you went with the clear building silicone sealant we talked about too to make the adhesion of the external less obvious than black like on mine when viewing the tank even if you did black the back out. good stuff.

nice dude. i like how thick the main panel of the internal overflow is now that i can see that in the photo you posted better. you'll be glad you went that way as it'll help silence the wall falling. the good thing is that your drain holes to the external are higher so the water will stay high in the internal like we talked about and then you can modify your external bean plumbing to ensure quiet fall from those to the external accordingly. i love it when folks do their homework, ask advice on specifics not covered, heed advice, and actually implement diligently. kudos to you and i hope yours works exactly as you have planned it out. i know there are always seemingly one or two things we wish we did differently but this looks really swell. what are you going to do for blocking out the overflow from the viewing outside the tank? an insert? paint it? if you're going to paint it, now is the time, sir. i run an ABS insert which works really well. glad you went with the clear building silicone sealant we talked about too to make the adhesion of the external less obvious than black like on mine when viewing the tank even if you did black the back out. good stuff.

yea when I took the first pictures the other night tank was on its side and it was still curing lol ill be going in next chance I get to clean some of the excess silicone with a razor blade. Yes the clear silicone worked great has that famous silicone smell unlike the black lol.

As for painting the overflow or insert not sure if I follow exactly where you are talking about the back outside glass of the tank or the overflow it self?

Yes I know I bugged you Der ABT and AlanM trying to get it all planned out so I could do it right the first time around.

• 1 month later...

Didn't take to many pictures but all 150# of new have been put in a 100 gallon bin with saltwater and power heads to start curing. Almost all of the rock from the first page of this thread is now in R.O water and bleach solution 10%. Once that's done I'll decide if I want to acid wash or not then cure that as well.

Question I seen on a BRS video while they were curing the rock in a covered bin they added bacteria to the water. Now if I have high phosphates I will have to do a water change first but after I get them a bit lower would it be a good idea to add a bacteria in a bottle?

unebudur.jpg

anejy9a8.jpg

Very nice man,

for the skimmate locker you could always paint the bucket black, drill a small hole in the top to fit a piece of hard tubing or plastic rod and then just add a float on the bottom that will push it up out of the top when the level gets high indicating time to dump.

bacteria in the bottle cant hurt to get the population going, you could also get a little biopellet reactor and skimmer in there if you have spares/qt set up stuff to really get things cycled.

really like the set up thus far....makes me want to get back on top of mine and finally finish out the fishroom vs living in disaster.

last question...did yuo kalk/silicon/seal from the inside of the fishroom all around the framing in case of a spill....had a tube i carelesly hung on a bucket dump 5 gallons of RODI on the floor and it kept the water from hitting the drywall/going under the carpet in the adjacent room...just a thought while its all easy to access