JacobB89's 180 gallon build!

So bad news for me.... Another delay in the whole process... I have about say 150lbs of live rock that came with the 180 that has been in a tank cooking for last say 2 months or so. Go out today to do some testing on the levels to see whats what and hope that phosphates are low and I can move rock into the 180 this week once it goes in the house. Well nope nothing ever is that easy right... phosphates were at 1.76 ppm checked with hannah. So I am at the point of what do I do now. 

option 1 cook rock more keep water changes going and rinse rock in buckets weekly and hope they go down...

option 2 bleach then acid bath rock to kill everything and remove layer of rock. Then let it dry out in the sun...(but its winter it would freeze)..

option 3 one I may just go ahead and do.. buy 200lbs of dry rock from ReefCleaners

1 and 2 will cost money and time option 3 little more money but rock would be good to go.

maybe i can recover some of the cost later in the summer by drying out the live rock I have??

open to comments on that?

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couple questions:

You used saltwater for the rock, and mixed it with RO/DI?

How often do you do a water change, and how big? That is, on this tank with just the rock.

How did the rock come? Right out of a live tank, was it dead for a while and sitting around?

I've seen rock usually go for about $1-$2lb around WAMAS, but occasionally someone puts up a bulk load for a decent "buy it now" price. It's hard to tell you if you would be able to recoup some costs or not going that route. IMO, I would try to get your phosphates down, and use what you have, but I'm sure an expert will chime in soon.

(edited)

Couple questions:

You used saltwater for the rock, and mixed it with RO/DI?

How often do you do a water change, and how big? That is, on this tank with just the rock.

How did the rock come? Right out of a live tank, was it dead for a while and sitting around?

I've seen rock usually go for about $1-$2lb around WAMAS, but occasionally someone puts up a bulk load for a decent "buy it now" price. It's hard to tell you if you would be able to recoup some costs or not going that route. IMO, I would try to get your phosphates down, and use what you have, but I'm sure an expert will chime in soon.

Rock came from random guy on Craigslist said he took down a tank for his cousin that had not done any maintenance other then top off water in over a year. When I got the rock from him it was just sitting in a bucket of old saltwater outside.

So I put all the rock none of that water in a 125 gallon tank in my garage lined the entire sides and bottom with foam boards to keep light out and heat in. Mixed up fresh batch of water rodi and salt. Added a mp40 and wp40 on the tank and 2 heaters. Did water change every 2 weeks and shock rocks in buckets of water to knock anything off of them every week. I just don't want to waste time and more salt on trying to get phosphates lower and have no luck and still have to buy new rock in the long run. Looked a doing the acid soak but from what I've seen you need to let that dry out in the sun after soaking and rinsing the rock off. With the cold weather I doubt it would even dry but freeze lol.

Open to all ideas at this point ordering dry rock will cost around 4-500 I figure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by jacobB89

Small updates picked up plywood for top of stand finished 90% of framing last 2 post after tank is in. Then decided to cut the overflow boxes out. You know what that means. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Both boxes came out easy took all of 10 min to do both.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

lights came in from ERC and Monkiboy also wavemaster 12000 came in too. not much left i can do right not other then the sump.

Waiting to find out about the ghost overflow if there gonna be available in April or not. Or if i can get a hold of some other shop to make something similar. If not ill have to wait or go glass.

sounds like exciting times. hope things work out with the ghost. if not, constructing a better more applicable version might just be the better ticket.

yea i send a few emails out if not ill be doing something like you.

• 4 weeks later...

Pulled the trigger today and got an avast cs3 with swabbie and 5 gallon locker after selling my RO to a friend in a pinch.

Welcome to the cs3 club! Document the process with it as much as you can, I found there's not a lot of info on them out there.

Welcome to the cs3 club! Document the process with it as much as you can, I found there's not a lot of info on them out there.

O I will and there will be plenty of pictures lol.

I recommend dry fitting it, just to feel your way around it first! Looks good !

I recommend dry fitting it, just to feel your way around it first! Looks good !

Lol funny you said that I did that last night and dry test run to see how it went and make sure its all there. And sanded down any messed up edges.

Stated building it yesterday got some done after work still a lot more to go but it is pretty fun to do it all.

Update for overflow just got off the phone with reef savy and lady told me there is not date for when they will re release the ghost overflows again. So either try to get a hold of another acrylic shop just to make me 2 boxes 1 internal 1 external then drill holes and do bulkheads. I'd I can't find one to do that I guess I will have to go glass or attempt to make my own out of acrylic.

the reef savvy would be nice but on a tank that size you probably want to do something a bit bigger/longer anyways.

remember with an acrylic tank like we talked about you can really do a nice clean set up with an external box simply by cutting out the section for the overflow on whatever panel you plan to run it. this will eliminate the whole internal overflow and will provide a very clean look and completely remove any obstruction from inside the tank and you don't have to pay for an internal overflow. this is one of the benefits to acrylic, you can work with it very easily, haha!

you have an acrylic tank, so best and easiest bond to do is with acrylic, and likely cheaper too and again easier to work with when drilling the external overflow for the bulkeads for the bean animal overfow or herbie, whatever you decide is best to implement on your build.

the reef savvy would be nice but on a tank that size you probably want to do something a bit bigger/longer anyways.

remember with an acrylic tank like we talked about you can really do a nice clean set up with an external box simply by cutting out the section for the overflow on whatever panel you plan to run it. this will eliminate the whole internal overflow and will provide a very clean look and completely remove any obstruction from inside the tank and you don't have to pay for an internal overflow. this is one of the benefits to acrylic, you can work with it very easily, haha!

you have an acrylic tank, so best and easiest bond to do is with acrylic, and likely cheaper too and again easier to work with when drilling the external overflow for the bulkeads for the bean animal overfow or herbie, whatever you decide is best to implement on your build.

My tank glass i was just talking about getting 2 overflow boxes made and using bulkheads through the glass similar to ghost but with my specs.

O if my tank was acrylic I would do like you said lol.

Put that skimmer to work on your liverock....a skimmer will help clean that water up

other option are lanthium chloride etc

but ive heard of rocks leaching for a LONG LONG time...hopefully the guy never used meds (especially copper) in the tank.

id put a skimer on there (even a junky old one vs that cs3 beast) and things will start looking better. otherwise there is no good way for things to be removed....ill bet a skimmer would make some NASTIES the first few hours.

also if you do a water change...do them BIG...100% if possble.

Welcome to the removed overflow club...soo much nicer

may have to join that cs3 club one day.

since your tank is glass check out my build thread, i removed my overflowd and my and internal/external out of glass for about 50 bucks total....silicone bond is AMAZINGLY strong

Put that skimmer to work on your liverock....a skimmer will help clean that water up

other option are lanthium chloride etc

but ive heard of rocks leaching for a LONG LONG time...hopefully the guy never used meds (especially copper) in the tank.

id put a skimer on there (even a junky old one vs that cs3 beast) and things will start looking better. otherwise there is no good way for things to be removed....ill bet a skimmer would make some NASTIES the first few hours.

also if you do a water change...do them BIG...100% if possble.

I gave up on them buying dry rock once tanks ready lol.

since your tank is glass check out my build thread, i removed my overflowd and my and internal/external out of glass for about 50 bucks total....silicone bond is AMAZINGLY strong

We talked before about it lol just need to figure out how big to make the boxes and so on. I've been wanting to go see mokiboys tank so i get a better grasp of it.

dude. totally got my build thread's mixed up. i was helping someone with a 300 acrylic figure out his overflow and thought it was you. sorry!

dude. totally got my build thread's mixed up. i was helping someone with a 300 acrylic figure out his overflow and thought it was you. sorry!

Lol not a problem builds always get mixed up lol. I think I'll be going glass overflow now not sure if calfo or not.

One of us, one of us!

Jacob, seriously check out Der's build, I wish I removed my overflows sometimes.