Vacation tank fill

paul b

My tank has an ATO but sometimes it fails, especially while I am away so I installed this for the next time I go on vacation.  I used to just invert a 5 gallon water cooler jug over the tank but now I don't have the room for that so I just put a hook in my ceiling and ran a tube to another float valve on the tank that is adjusted to fill the tank in the event the regular tank fill stops.  Of course I remove this bucket when I am home as I keep hitting my head on it and it is just for emergencies.  If I am going for two weeks I just hang another bucket next to it and put in a siphon hose so when the water in one bucket starts to empty, the water siphons from the second bucket to the first.
This emergency installation took about 15 minutes and now I could set it up in less than 2 minutes.

2013-09-30223502_zpsc7ee034f.jpg

Jenn...you comment on the phone but not the panelling....that's been there since the 70's also...I have a feeling Paul has that 'grandpas basement' we all were so fond of growing up where many memories were and will be made :)

Anyways, great idea there Paul...I used to do something similar,,,, but just set the bucket ontop of my tank while on vacation...I had space though...

Nice, Paul. You've gotta do what you gotta do. Simplicity as an emergency backup!

I think the paneling's fine. But, what is that thing to the upper right of the thermostat? It looks like a... could it be? ... a lantern? A whale-oil lantern? :laugh:

Lol Tom...Paul's got a signal light! And I do think you are correct in that its whale oil...

Paul...how easy is it to get whale oil up there, Im Sure you have your ways!

Ha! I'm glad I am not the only one who likes Paul's pictures not just for the ingenious ideas, but for the other "stuff" in the pictures as well. My personal favorites are workbench pictures.

But, what is that thing to the upper right of the thermostat? It looks like a... could it be? ... a lantern? A whale-oil lantern? :laugh:

Im from Boston...so my first thought was 

One if by Land....Two if by Sea  :laugh:

Remember that is my basement and I built it about 1979 when paneling was in.  That is gray driftwood paneling.  The walls are curved in many places and still look brand new.  I am not going to change them now as I like it.  That phone is rarely used but it will stay there as it fills the holes in the wall.  That thing is a lantern, a Kerosene lantern and is just there as an antique, but I can light the tank with it I would imagine.

I built everything in the house including much of the furnature, the dormer and all the plumbing, electricity, boiler and solar electric.  If you guys get old enough, in 40 years you should post some pictures of things you built, if it is still standing. :unsure:

This picture is from when I was building it.  You can still see the white bleached corals we used in tanks in those days.  I had just installed the tank in the wall then.  Now lets see some of your tanks from 1979  :cool:

Oldtank.jpg

Here is something else I built, in Brooklyn.

Girlsboatnight2010014.jpg

Hey, no disrespect, like I say it reminds me of my grandparents basement (how most basements look other than brand new houses) and building anything is a great skill, I can fix things and build small things, but I stop at parts of houses,lol a whole house may be a bit much for me!

P.S., I was not yet born in 79 and have moved more than 20 times since I was born,,, so I don't think until we retire I will be able to have one tank for a long enough period to call it old,lol

(edited)

The first floor is a little different and so is the second floor.  This is the first floor which is different from the basement, no paneling

2013-10-01023732_zpsb76ef4b9.jpg

And of course my Grand daughter's room.  I did almost the same thing for my Daughter when she was born.  Some of those tree limbs are from real trees.  I painted this all free hand.

2013-10-01024123_zpsd3f1b034.jpg

2013-10-01024109_zps07d66a98.jpg

Edited by paul b

(edited)

I was born on Christmas Day, maybe that has something to do with it.  Nah :rolleyes:    I still can't grow hair

Edited by paul b

I was born on Christmas Day, maybe that has something to do with it.  Nah :rolleyes:    I still can't grow hair

If that's the one thing you can't do, I think it looks good on you! Lol

What did you use to seal that line into the bucket??