Moddind the D120 to be Controlled?

TheyCallMeMr.703

I've been doing allot of research and was even reading the many threads on here and on RC.... Anyhow, point being, How long/Fast can someone get this done with all the proper equipment/tools?? I would like to Dim, and have it Electronically Controlled, so I will have Greater Control over my light... :)
   I have been looking into this for quite awhile now and think it would be most beneficial to my tank, But I did notice the build times on most of these were not Quick 1-nighters... Although with all the givin' Equipment and stuff needed, one may be able to get this done in the time allotted?? What are your takes on the subject?? I'm Considering this in the future possibly...

I can't figure out what 703 is asking, exactly.

He seems to be asking if it's possible.  The answer is yes, but... 

No one sells a kit to do it, and they seem to have changed the way the driver/dimmer works since I got mine because I got new dimmer pots from the last group buy (after burning out mine playing with it), and it was totally different.  Maybe easier, maybe not.  I just know the new pots didn't work on mine, so I rigged something that works with a $2 audio taper 10k pot from Rat Shack.   It even has the on-off function that the original pot had.

If you know a little bit about electronics, then it's a totally doable research project.  If you have a good friend who does, then it's still doable, but less convenient.  If no one you are friends with is good with electronics, then good luck convincing someone to figure it out for you.  I got it working for my d120s and then decided that it wasn't worth the trouble because dimming is really just for fun anyway, the fish and corals don't seem to care.  If you are frying your corals, turning down the manual dimmer is easy enough, then turn it up a bit each day, and put the whole thing on a timed outlet.

d they seem to have changed the way the driver/dimmer works since I got mine because I got new dimmer pots from the last group buy (after burning out mine playing with it), and it was totally different.  Maybe easier, maybe not.  I just know the new pots didn't work on mine, so I rigged something that works with a $2 audio taper 10k pot from Rat Shack.   It even has the on-off function that the original pot had.

Really, Alan? They changed it, huh? Isn't that interesting....

Boo, I don't like that answer :) Dimming is not a toy.... I have an acclimation program on my controller that I can use to dim starting at a certain day for X days... 

So you did something directly to the pot? Replacing pots are fairly easy... please continue :)

They used to use a 500k linear taper pot on a little board with some cleanup (an RC circuit to damp out spikes in turning the pot), tapering (a resistor in parallel to change the curve a bit when you turn the pot so a turn at the bottom changes less than a turn at the top) , and safety type circuitry (a diode to prevent current in the wrong direction) including a little transistor that Tom knew what it was. 

I burned out that transistor while experimenting with a 9v battery.  It's a surface mount bog standard transistor, but a pain to take off and put back on, and I just got lazy.  The pot itself actually still works even though I would have had to solder it back on to the board.

Now they have a board with just a 1k pot (I think it's a 1k, I can't remember exactly, but it's way way less than a 500k) and nothing else.  The rest of the dimming function must be inside the driver now.

Buy an IT series instead. Way easier.

True

So that sounds like its no longer doable?

It is probably doable. Maybe even easier. I just dont have one of that style to try it.

Yeah, if you don't already have a d120, buy an IT series...

But if you have one or 4 you may try modding one and seeing how that works...it's going to be more trial and error vice knowing exactly the right piece sand such....and then you could put a kit together! Lol

Yeah, if you don't already have a d120, buy an IT series...

But if you have one or 4 you may try modding one and seeing how that works...it's going to be more trial and error vice knowing exactly the right piece sand such....and then you could put a kit together! Lol

I have thought about it... We should design our own Kits, and Start Marketing them... ( gotta' include a piece of paper that says, Anyone who tries this, does it at their own risk. We will not be held Liable for any damages or problems that should arise from such)

But deff' gettin' a IT series next time...