Need help replacing LEDs on Reefbreeders fixture

FrankieGee

Anyone out there in WAMAS land have advice how to swap LEDs out?  I have Reefbreeder's Photon32 and am trying to swap out some LEDs.  I tried to do it using a 100 watt soldering iron but my iron wouldn't melt the solder.

Thanks

tony did it on his d120s and while not the same the PCB and LEDs are the same for swapping. you should definitely be able to do so with a 100w as he accomplished with 35w and i've done so with a 50w. guys on the RC thread talk about it as well with 50w and 100w soldering irons.

here's tony's post with photos:

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/53375-the-looking-glass/?p=471642

I decided to change my some LEDS too and I was wondering how to do it. Thanks to this post and the linkI will try to do it this weekend.

100W iron should be way more than enough. Are you getting good thermal contact? Is the tip clean and well secured to the iron?

I think the tip needs to be cleaned. I'll clean the tip tomorrow and post my results. Thx

Ok, so I bombed I think.  I cleaned the tip and I was able to swap 1 LED bulb (row 1 column 5) and it lit up!  :rolleyes:   My issue now is that all the even LED bulbs on row 1 and the odd bulbs on row 2 do not light up.  :mad:  I don't think I got a good connection when I soldered it down since my iron tip is too thick.  I need to buy a pencil tip bit for the soldering iron tomorrow and try again.

Anyone know where soldering iron tips are sold?  Home Depot maybe?  I bought my iron off eBay so don't know of anywhere locally.

If all else fails, I can ship it back to Reefbreeders I guess.

Lessons learned so far:

1. buy a good pair of tweezers that will hold onto the little LED bulb without slipping

2. clean the tip of the soldering iron

3. use a pencil tip bit (or a thin bit) on the soldering iron

4. buy a magnifying glass to identify the - (negative) sign on the little LED bulb

Yay - I got it to work.  One of the cords became unplugged :drink: I ended up going to Virginia Stain and Glass for a new skinnier soldering iron tip and it worked fine.  I did short myself when I ordered LEDs from Logan so if anyone has 4 - 480nm blue LEDs they would want to sell or swap with the extras that I have, let me know.  Thanks

i have a few 480nm LEDs that you can have for free if it'll help complete your ideal layout. or you can order you whatever you want direct from evergrow if you need more than just the 4. shoot me a PM and let me know how i can help, sir.

glad to hear you got the soldering iron issue fixed with the replacement tip.