how do i sterilize tank

Joshifer

My luck a day before moving out fish to setup the 30 I get fw ick. Because my wife brang home a guppy from Walmart while I was out of town she didn't use my qt tank. Anyway

I'm moving the fish to the 10 hospital tank.

How do I sterilize the 30? Will Clorox get stuck in the sealant?

In all my years I never had to deal with cooties

Better question how do I sterile my equip. Heater filter etc.

Edited by Joshifer

Fw ich is not the same thing. If you just let it dry out, that is enough. No need to sterilize it, and any cleaning residue will do more harm than good.

afaik, fw ich will not transfer to a saltwater tank.  But if you want to clean the tank, the safest thing to use is white vinegar.  That's how I cleaned my tank and it's how I cleaned my hampster cages as a kid.  Amonia based and chlorine based cleaners will leave a toxic residue (killed a couple of hampsters that way).

Dry it out. If still concerned, you can use a dilute mix of regular chlorine bleach and water. Rinse well. Be sure to let it dry for a day or so after the bleach treatment to ensure that all of the chlorine breaks down. I've never had a problem with this as a sterilization protocol.

for folks that actually need to sterilize i've always done 1/2 cup of bleach for every 10 gallons of tap water. leave it for at least 3 hours or up to 24 if you want to be particularly careful. i always toss in everything that came in contact with that system or fish, nets, tubing, HOB filters, heaters, thermometers, etc.

Thanks everyone. I let it sit in tap water over night rinsed it out its empty outside drying. I tossed all the filter media. Except my purigen Im bleaching that to reuse if need be

Edited by Joshifer