Deluxe ATO not working when run from timer

AlanM

Well, if you still have old ones around you can put an Avast sticker on them and sell them for a few bucks each to Apex users to use to power the base unit as an outage detection mechanism.  The plug looks the same to me.  My options were buying one with that plug configuration from china for $3 with free 3 week shipping or $16 from Neptune Systems or buying some crazy big one from radio shack for $25.

The new Apex firmware lets you do the following to some outlets on the EB8:

If Power Apex Off 000 then Off

which detects if the 12V plugged into the wall goes off.  Then you can put the EB8 onto a UPS and have some ports stay on if the 12V drops. 

I sent you an email.  Looks like howaboutme has the same issue with his.  I bet he has the same power supply.  I don't know his contact info outside of WAMAS.

Do you recall if your power supply came in a little white box or a plastic bag?

Rats, no I don't.  I am kind of picturing a little white box, but can't be 100% sure.  It's gone by now. I bought it during the thanksgiving sale, when you guys had an sitebuster deal on them.  30% off, I think.  It ended up needing to be back-ordered and came separately from the rest of the stuff I bought which was skimmer, locker, swabbie, and MR5.

I posted a "Look at all this stuff thread" here with a picture of the original box opened up:

http://wamas.org/forums/topic/53936-got-a-big-pile-of-stuff/

But the ATO wasn't in it.  It shipped later on Dec 19.

I have the standard switch so I am not sure if it changes things for me. Like I said before, I didn't even think there was something wrong and thought it was a glitch and just dealt with it. It's not a huge deal for me either way but if Avast thinks my switch is faulty, I will not object to replacement.

Thank you.

Sent from my SCH-I405 using Tapatalk 2

Ah, you don't have the deluxe one? OK

I believe the difference between mine and the "deluxe" is the inclusion of the pump. It's loud, like you know now.. So I skipped that. The different switches are options available for both models. I don't believe this issue is a not deluxe versus deluxe issue but Avast can correct me if I am wrong.

Ok. Must be different for yours, I would think, because my power supply actually drives the peristaltic pump which apparently requires a starting capacitor to get its initial kick. If yours just trips a relay on a different pump it must be a different issue.

Did you get a separate power supply with yours?

Ok. Must be different for yours, I would think, because my power supply actually drives the peristaltic pump which apparently requires a starting capacitor to get its initial kick. If yours just trips a relay on a different pump it must be a different issue.

Did you get a separate power supply with yours?

Nope, no different. The switch (power supply) turns on and off the pump too. At least I hope I am describing it correctly.

Nope, no different. The switch (power supply) turns on and off the pump too. At least I hope I am describing it correctly.

Does yours plug directly into the outlet, with an outlet on the body for the pump? If so, it's different. It sounds like you have the original, standard design.

Sent from my phone

Does yours plug directly into the outlet, with an outlet on the body for the pump? If so, it's different. It sounds like you have the original, standard design.

Sent from my phone

Tom, you're right. That's what I have. Has the design changed already? I just got this a few months ago. It's already out of date like a cell phone!  lol.

Now I am wondering what makes my situation (which is exactly the same) any different even w/ the different switch? The switch has a green light that also clicks. Every time the device is unplugged, it forgets the sensor location even though the sensor didn't move. I would have to do what Alan did in the video, slide the sensor up and down to engage it to remember the height. This is like that for both on or off. Doesn't Alan's switch work similarly in that if the sensor triggers the switch, it powers the pump? So is it really the sensor and the switch that's the issue. It's either supplying power to the pump or not?

Like I said, I have always though (at least for my specific situation) it's a design limitation and I just accommodate for it. Let me qualify my statements to say I think the ATO is great. If it wasn't for Alan posting that video, I wouldn't have thought 2 things about my situation. Thanks.

No, it's not out of date. It's just their first and probably (I'm guessing) best selling model. I've got two myself.

It's simple, electrically speaking. I suspect two possibilities : 1) When you unplug it, the movement upsets the position of the sensitive diaphragm switch inside causing the problem. To test this, try putting it on an extension cord. Then, leaving the body of the switch untouched so it doesn't move, unplug and re-plug the cord. This would test the theory that the mechanical upset is behind the misbavior. Or, 2) you're somehow dislodging the tubing (or the nipple on the body where the tubing connects is cracked) so air leaks when you unplug it. One way to test this is just to wiggle the tubing at the body a little bit (while the sensor is submerged) and see if that turns on the pump.

Sent from my phone

No, it's not out of date. It's just their first and probably (I'm guessing) best selling model. I've got two myself.

It's simple, electrically speaking. I suspect two possibilities : 1) When you unplug it, the movement upsets the position of the sensitive diaphragm switch inside causing the problem. To test this, try putting it on an extension cord. Then, leaving the body of the switch untouched so it doesn't move, unplug and re-plug the cord. This would test the theory that the mechanical upset is behind the misbavior. Or, 2) you're somehow dislodging the tubing (or the nipple on the body where the tubing connects is cracked) so air leaks when you unplug it. One way to test this is just to wiggle the tubing at the body a little bit (while the sensor is submerged) and see if that turns on the pump.

Sent from my phone

Tom, thanks. I will try this out.

• 2 weeks later...

Just to update this.  The new power adapter which is 1A rather than 0.5A does the trick.  Thanks for sending it out, Avast!

I should actually say, it did the trick.  I tested it to see that it worked, then as I was trying to secure it to the wall on an extension cord a bit better (the cord is shorter than the old one, so it didn't reach all the way from the EB8), I dropped it in the saltwater in the sump.  Doh.  I pulled it out,  shook it off, opened it up, sloshed it around in RO/DI, and put it in some Uncle Bens for a couple of days.  I just plugged it in again, and it still seems to work, but I'm going to leave it plugged in upstairs for a while to make sure the smoke doesn't come out.  I feel pretty dumb for immediately dropping it in the sump.