DCReefer1964 156 Gallon Oceanic Resurrection

Ahhhh now I see what you were talkin about...what's the brand name of the stuff? I will probably do that on the inside of my stand too, but I'm still putting down shower liner on the base...but the epoxy will be a nice step for the inside walls...

If you buy it the cost is expensive for just a quart of this stuff. LMK when you are ready and I can get it for about $30.00 . I left some in a small pail woke up and it was rock solid, couldn't even break it with a hammer.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ohhhhh yeah! Lookin good!

+1 I like how clean under your stand is, as well as how it's just as light as above, that will be really nice for working on it Australian style (Get it, Down Under?!)

Seriously though, really clean, can't wait to see what you do with the inside of the tank!

(edited)

Are u going to have enough room in the sump to handle the water volume when the return pump turns off. 24 gallons on a 156 seems slightly undersized.

uvehequj.jpge8a6ahap.jpgy9ajusuq.jpga9u7u4en.jpg

Is this better ? It appears a little crowded

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Edited by DCReefer1964

so the skimmer is plumbed outside the skimmer chamber? i used to do this until one day i came home to a dry skimmer after a snail clogged an over flow in my really old 75g (granted this was years ago) but i now always have the skimmer flow back into the same chamber and just keep the output close to where the overflow of that chamber is. tank had almost overflowed but was at the brim and tehre was just no water goign back into the sump...killed the skimmer pump

i think youll be fine with that sump, overflow shouldnt be huge with a syphon break and im guessing you have tested already (well i hope haha)

Is the dc600 enough of a return for you? i was thinking of grabbing a diablo 12000 but im also trying to run some plumbing to a frag tank which i may end up scrapping that idea but?? lemme know what you think about that 6000

Progress is looking great, congrats on the fast move........really like how the trim change in color looks...soo much better

what are you going to do for doors? using a removeable front or actual doors (im not a fan of doors as they always get in my way and will use a removeable piece of wood or some tyvec.

I hope the scratches disappeared with the water.....when yuo buy a used tank expect scratches from minor to major, it just happens unless the tank is like a day old. most of the time you dont see them at all when wet, and then when you dry the tank they appear so the seller doesnt know or just didnt think about it.

person may say its perfect but ill be once it sits dry for a few days scratches will actually showthemselves but when wet disappear.

not saying htis happened here, hopefully they did not know.I know this also happened to me (cept i was the seller) but once things were wet i believe they could not be seen

Edited by Der ABT

so the skimmer is plumbed outside the skimmer chamber? i used to do this until one day i came home to a dry skimmer after a snail clogged an over flow in my really old 75g (granted this was years ago) but i now always have the skimmer flow back into the same chamber and just keep the output close to where the overflow of that chamber is. tank had almost overflowed but was at the brim and tehre was just no water goign back into the sump...killed the skimmer pump

This is a MyReef Creations 36 sump. The skimmer has constant a constant flow of water with an additional Mag3 pump used for that purpose. Water would have to evaporate for a week to run the skimmer dry. By my calculations the sump will handle excess water from the tank if I lose power,or ATO gets stuck in on position. That said I will have 3 fail safes installed. I may revert back to the 24 gallon sump and plumb in a second on the distant end.

As for doors I will take the existing doors and convert them to panels that use strong magnets to attach to the stand. Since I am an IT old hard drives magnets will do just fine. I am still debating with just using 1 center brace on the front of the stand vs the 2 currently installed. WHAT DO YOU SUGGEST? (Vote) times running out! I have not purchased the DC 6000 yet. I will use the 3000s first to break this tank in.

what are you going to do for doors? using a removeable front or actual doors (im not a fan of doors as they always get in my way and will use a removeable piece of wood or some tyvec.

Answered above got carried away.

Looks like I may need to build a side cabinet to hold the APEX etc i will install an iPad on the front panel and use the APEX display on my Jr. For the nano.

i used an offset center brace on mine. basically made it a 36-34 inch span being open i think (made fitting in the 40 breeder sump alot easier) basically put the brace directly in front of one set of baffles in the sump (somewhere i should have to access) and left everything else very open.

im going to use some tyvec (yeh its got many uses as its cheap and can act as condesation barior. and block off the section for my reactors and any electrical equipment.....also have an equipment panel on the wall cause its a fish room but i want the DC8 etc to be as dry as it can be.

personally id probalby go with the 6000 and either keep the 3000 to run a manifold/ reactors etc or just use what you got....ive been more about saving funds lately as i want to start buying fish soon and with the 2nd kid..the reef budget turned into diapers, powerwheels, and yardwork fund.

Edited by Der ABT

I heavily suggest going with the 6000 or stronger, instead of the x2 3000. JMO. What Evan said about the 3000 for a manifold or reactor would be more appropriate, IMO again. If you're ever in the area you're more than welcome to stop by and see the 6000 at work on a 150, I feel like it's just enough.

Hawt.

Space & Access This is what I will have to work with. I will be hard to fit everything under current stand every mm counts.

36-reef-sump-1_1.jpg

(edited)

Man that's some sweet plumbing

I may have an overall design change when we move in 2.5 years, or when Jan gets my room ready in Fla.

Aqua2007_06a.jpg

Just board down here in Norfolk, but it has me thinking. Naga

Edited by DCReefer1964

• 5 weeks later...

Well back on the road for Norfolk. Last week on project. Can't wait to return to the DMV to spend time on the build. My new Deltec AP702 is making it difficult to come up with a sump solution. Got to Love Mc D's free WIFI. BTW found this may cut up for baffles.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD