Plumbing, a couple of questions

YHSublime

So I see all these nicely plumbed aquariums with PVC, and I'm wondering what the advantage is over using flex tubing... if any. Is it just cheaper? Is it more reliable?

What is the disadvantage of just running this braided tubing hooked up to some union valves?

The clear tubing will eventually grow algae in it reducing the flow ( although dark PVC eventually grows things as well, tubeworms etc). It also breaks down over time when exposed to UV.   With PVC everything can be welded together ensuring no leaks and it is dirt cheap.  The clear tubing gives you flexibility (pun intended).  They sell SPA flex, which is the best of both worlds.  It meets PVC sizing standards so regular pvc fittings can be used and is white so no algae.  I was just looking for some tonight at lowes.  They only had 1.5 " here in Stafford and the lady told me they no longer sell 1".  I am going to check around though.

I prefer hard plumbing because it looks so much more tidy, you dont really have to worry about it leaking, you have the most options for new additions, etc. I used the spa flex once and will never use it again. I wouldnt suggest it. The connections are not as strong and eventually it will start to leakz

I just finished plumbing my 120 with hard fixtures. Everything was quite easier than I thought it would be.

Going to do a wet run tomorrow.I did think about using flex tubing but then thought it would be much easier to just use the hard tubes. i am of course a beginner so just sharing my small experience. Hopefully nothing leaks.

I've never used hard PVC, but I've heard vibration noise is an issue, especially if you have a bunch of 90's. Flex PVC on the other hand is more prone to leaks because of loose fittings. I think I prefer the ability to move my sump an inch or two, and no noise vs the "clean" look of hard PVC. Granted, my tank is in my living room/foyer, so maybe noise trade offs are not a big deal if you have a dedicated fish room?

Hard PVC is the safest way to plumb a tank. Glued joints rarely fail and vibration usually isnt an issue unless you're using the wrong size pipe with too large of a pump.

Braided hose is for use with stainless steel hose clamps and nylon insert fittings. Thinwall polyethylene tubing is for use with nylon hose clamps. Tubing and clamps are typically used outside of the aquarium and are less safe alternatives to glued PVC connections.

My biggest issue w/ flex tubing was that all the returns into the tank had to be anchored down or the flex tubing would effect the direction it pointed based on the tubing's curve and twist. 

One nice thing people like about flex PVC or hose is that you can make easy large sweeping bends that cause less head pressure on pumps and less noise on drains. Myself, I prefer all hard PVC because the joints are stronger and I think it just looks nicer. I have one large sweeping bend off of my return pipe but I heated up the 1 1/5" hard PVC and bent it to form that sweep.

You can buy Sweep 90's in at least 1.5" PVC. 

I used some of those with short 4" pieces of 1.5" spaflex with a coupler on each end to give the pipes a little bit of wiggle room so I didn't have to get it exactly lined up. 

I prefer PVC...  Not because it is cheaper or looks cleaner, but because you get a nice buzz from the glue :tongue:

Ultra flex pvc uses the same glue

Ultra flex pvc uses the same glue

is that the same stuff as the braided flex tube from Home Depot?  I just use the nilon connector with the metal fasteners for that.

I went ahead and started plumbing using PVC. The only concern I have is the only way to plumb my return is with four 90' angles off the bat, and beat on the street is 90 degree angles are not great for your return. So seeing as I could use a 5ft piece of tubing, I thought that might be the best way to go? 

Also, does anybody use pvc chamfers? I think this is the name for them, it's like a cone that essentially gives you a chamfered edge on the outside and inside of your PVC cuts. I just want to make sure I put this all together right and don't have leaks the first time around.

If you follow the directions on the can and seat the PVC all the way in the fittings, after priming and putting on a liberal amount of glue all around the fitting, you won't have leaks.  Gluing PVC together is pretty simple.  Make sure after you press the 2 fittings together you give it a twist (compensate for 90s and what not) and hold the two together for ~30 seconds.  You'll never get it apart and it won't leak.  Don't over think it.  I use the ratcheting PVC cutter now, but a hack saw works as well (clean the fitting after to remove the burrs).