Trying to get levels correct

Tracy G

Just starting to test more regularly so hoping to get some help with some of the levels.  I know Nitrate is a big high as I had some old filter sock in the tank that I have since removed and done some water changes.  Hopefully that will come down soon but I have no idea about Calcium, MG, and Alk as I have never really done anything with them.  I will be testing again in a week to try to figure out how much the tank is consuming but since I did a 15 gallon water change yesterday had to reset (use reef crystals).  I know my Alk is low?  should I try dosing?  Measurements listed in the sig.  Link to tank also posted

http://www.aquaticlog.com/aquariums/tracygarvin1/1

What test kits are you using? Do you trust the readings? Are you using RO/DI to mix up your saltwater?

Calcium is a bit high for me but it's right in line with what Reef Crystals will give you. Alkalinity is too low - Reef Crystals should give you considerably better than that (up to 13 dKH has been documented). Your two measurements for these are out of balance from one another. If accurate, you can use baking soda to help bring alkalinity up. However, I'd first want to be sure that my alkalinity test was accurate.

Magnesium is a tad high, but still acceptable (I wouldn't want to go much higher). I prefer to keep mine in the 1250-1450 range.

If you're doing the drop-at-a-time titration type test for alkalinity are you sure you're doing the math right? 

It threw me for a bit that my test was measuring meq/L and not KH.  On my tests you count the number of drops before it turns yellow, then divide by 2 and that number is the meq/L.  To get KH you multiply by 2.8, iirc.

I am using the Hanna Alk tester and the it read at 116 so I got that by multiply by .056 to get that result. I would guess its pretty close.

Posted Image

I am using the Hanna Alk tester and the it read at 116 so I got that by multiply by .056 to get that result. I would guess its pretty close.

That's right. The Hanna meter reads in ppm CaCO3 equivalents. Divide by 50 to get meq/l and multiply by 2.8 to get dKH (or multiply by 0.056 to go straight to dKH).

I would add a little baking soda to bring the alk up to 7.5 or 8.

(Sent from my phone.)

Definitely want to start bringing that Alk level up slowly.    Keep in mind that the Hannah Alk tester tends to read a little high compared to other tests (like Salifert).   So if you are reading 116 (6.5 dKh), you may be even a bit lower in reality.    I try to keep my tank up around 170 (9.5 dKh).    That gives me a bit of room for error either way if something goes wrong. 

Bring the level up slowly though,   A big alk swing is a great way to make acros RTN.   Water changes with Reef Crystals should bring the Alk up.   Like Tom says, that stuff mixes up as high as 13 dKH.

You might want to think about carbon dosing using vodka or pellets to knock that nitrate level down.   There is only so much you can do to keep your tank and sump clean.  With carbon dosing I am able to export a lot more nutrients.   

20ppm nitrate is nothing to worry about as long as alk and ca are stable. I currently have a reef tank with high levels of nitrate and all the softies and LPS are thriving. 

Every tank has different water chemistry based upon the immediate environment of your house, your water source, your choice of inhabitants, and how you feed it and clean it.

95% of the fraggable corals in the metro area have been here for years and can withstand higher levels of water pollution than their ocean counterparts. We're basically growing pretty weeds.