Black Ich Treatment

FrankieGee

(edited)

I think my buddies have black ich as I noticed the black spots on one clown are getting worse, the other clown has a spot now, and my starry blenny is rubbing up against the rocks and sand to scratch himself.

I plan to QT them but need some help with treatment.  I have a 20g QT set up (carbon removed, glass bottom, pvc pipes for hiding) and want to buy Formalin MS to treat Black Ich.  I have to order it online and won't get it for another week.

Is there is something I can buy local that will treat this?

Here's a pic of the one clown with black spots.

Thanks!

Edited by FrankieGee

can't see the pic

I think my buddies have black ich as I noticed the black spots on one clown are getting worse, the other clown has a spot now, and my starry blenny is rubbing up against the rocks and sand to scratch himself.

I plan to QT them but need some help with treatment.  I have a 20g QT set up (carbon removed, glass bottom, pvc pipes for hiding) and want to buy Formalin MS to treat Black Ich.  I have to order it online and won't get it for another week.

Is there is something I can buy local that will treat this?

Here's a pic of the one clown with black spots.

Thanks!

ok, so despite it being much less frequently seen in tanks now-a-days and not really having any of the commonly infected fish, let's just assume it is blach ich to answer your questions. in that case it depends on which worm you got. ichthyophaga is resistant to formalin baths and even less commonly seen. paravortex can be treated with formalin but personally i'd recommend paraguard baths which you should be able to find at your LFS. i'd start with the paraguard bath and then if the parasite is still present, then look to freshwater baths.

ok, so despite it being much less frequently seen in tanks now-a-days and not really having any of the commonly infected fish, let's just assume it is blach ich to answer your questions. in that case it depends on which worm you got. ichthyophaga is resistant to formalin baths and even less commonly seen. paravortex can be treated with formalin but personally i'd recommend paraguard baths which you should be able to find at your LFS. i'd start with the paraguard bath and then if the parasite is still present, then look to freshwater baths.

+1 ^^

(edited)

Clowns usually get black spots when they come in contact with LPS corals that sting mildly (torches, etc).  What corals do you have in the tank that clowns touch?

From the pic it looks like hypermelanism, not black ich.

Edited by marinap

Do junior clarkiis start getting black dots when they get older? Becasae eventully they develop a fairly black body when they mature like marinap picture.

I would say hypermelanism. It can be from a sting as marinap mentioned, picking on from another fish, or also from ich or a similar parasite. When the ich breaks the skin's surface it can cause the skin to color like that. From the sounds of the blenny I would just treat all the fish to rule out a parasite. 

Do junior clarkiis start getting black dots when they get older? Becasae eventully they develop a fairly black body when they mature like marinap picture.

My experience was that the darkening started at the white bars and smoothly and slowly moved towards the center. It was uniform, no spots or blotchiness.

wait till you can clearly id the disease before you treat the fish.

I would say hypermelanism. It can be from a sting as marinap mentioned, picking on from another fish, or also from ich or a similar parasite. When the ich breaks the skin's surface it can cause the skin to color like that. From the sounds of the blenny I would just treat all the fish to rule out a parasite. 

Thanks for the responses everyone.  I did notice the little clown is hosting in the RTBA now so maybe his spots are from the new hosting.  As for the Benny, he is still rubbing up against everything.  

Is it bad to treat all my kids for ich even if they don't have it?  Will it hurt them in any way?  I would like to do it just in case they do have ich but won't if it'll hurt them.