Hand Caught OBX Pipefish

ronl

Well it's not hillbilly handfishing, but while at the Outer Banks last week, my oldest daughter came out of the water to show me a fish that she caught by hand.  It turned out to be a pipefish that was floating in the water with some grass.

Of course I was the most excited and put it in a bucket to observe for a while before we returned it to the ocean.  While in the ocean the next day, I noticed another pipefish and caught it.  Turns out there were a lot of them and we caught a few dozen of them by hand over the next two days before our week ended.  All we had to do was look for the grass floating in the water and see if any of them were moving.  All in all, it was a pretty cool experience that all of my kids enjoyed.

post-2633589-0-92057700-1374951577_thumb.jpg

Very cool. You should set up a dedicated tank for them before your next trip down and bring a few back.

That thought certainly crossed my mind.

Where in OBX where you when you caught all of them? I'd rent a house near there the next time I was there just to be able to observe them for a while. Always wanted to get some pipe fish but never wanted to have to go through the effort of deworming them so my captive bred seahorses wouldn't potentially get infected. 

Would be cool to be able to just float around near them and watch them in their natural habitat for a while.

Thank you for the post, really cool.

We were in the northern part of Corolla, on the last street before the 4-wheel area. The pipefish were right in the surf, so we couldn't observe them for too long because we had to keep one eye on the waves. They were just floating with stray blades of sea grass and being carried by the tide.

I've been to OBX about ten times and this was the first time I ever saw them. I was even in Corolla last year and didn't see them.

I'm not sure if they are able to change colors or not, but we caught some that were brown, some striped, and some green. Not too different from the grasses they were floating with. The green ones were my favorite.