bubble counter liquid

scott711

I get a lot of evaporation because of the higher bubble count that I have in my CA reactor.  Aside from using RO/DI water and the actual bubble counter liquid, is there anything that people have found to be similiar in viscosity to the bubble counter liquid that they have used?

I'll have to check, but I think that the liquid in my bubble counter on my calcium reactor is just the saltwater in the reactor. What brand of reactor / bubble counter are you using, Scott?

Does viscosity really matter? Once you dial it in via pH to a bubble count for that type of liquid, then just remember what the count should be. I doubt the bubble size will change much. I searched a planted tank forum and they use mineral oil from a drug store.

not using bubble counter liquid.  Just RO/DI, but I don't like to have to replace the water do to evaporation.  I read that glycerin and mineral oil might work.

I tried saltwater once and it caused the needle valve to corrode pretty fast.

My bubble counter's actually on the reactor intake side, not on the CO2 tank. Maybe that's the difference? I run a Koralliin c3002. You can see the bubble counter just to the left of the brass-colored check valve.

gallery_2631296_685_11501.jpg

Well, so my setup does nothing for Scott's question, then!

Glycerine or mineral oil both sound like they'll work. Glycerine has a high affinity for water, so it would actually attract and capture any moisture that might be in the CO2. I can't see any real benefit to that and it might cloud up the glycerine mixture later on. Mineral oil sounds just fine, though.

Well, so my setup does nothing for Scott's question, then!

Glycerine or mineral oil both sound like they'll work. Glycerine has a high affinity for water, so it would actually attract and capture any moisture that might be in the CO2. I can't see any real benefit to that and it might cloud up the glycerine mixture later on. Mineral oil sounds just fine, though.

Awesome.  Thanks for sticking to topic :)

I wonder why it's been used in planted tanks for so long but I don't think I have ever heard it on reef tanks before. Any draw backs that might bother a reef tank?

I wonder why it's been used in planted tanks for so long but I don't think I have ever heard it on reef tanks before. Any draw backs that might bother a reef tank?

Maybe because planted tanks use way more CO2 than reef tanks on average? That is, they're more common since plants thrive on enhanced CO2 levels so more people have had to find a solution. I think that both solutions are practiced regularly in the planted tank world.

Either should be easily removed from a reef tank either biologically or mechanically (skimmer) I think.

(Sent from my phone.)

(edited)

Maybe because planted tanks use way more CO2 than reef tanks on average? That is, they're more common since plants thrive on enhanced CO2 levels so more people have had to find a solution. I think that both solutions are practiced regularly in the planted tank world.

Either should be easily removed from a reef tank either biologically or mechanically (skimmer) I think.

(Sent from my phone.)

+1      Went through about 50lbs of CO2 in a couple years.

I can't think of any drawbacks to using it, except drinking some :)

Edited by Tink