Clam Stretch?

YHSublime

So my clam has always been "pursed lipped" but tonight I noticed it was opening a bit on one side. Good, bad, doesn't matter? I've never seen it start to... open like it's doing. Hopefully this picture will illustrate:

DSC_0302_zps31a68af7.jpg

Looks fine.

Not gaping.

Thanks! I guess it was just a little out of the ordinary, it's never opened up like that, just curious as to why. I've seen clams opened up a bit like that before, but mostly in aquarium stores that didn't have the greatest water quality happening...

It will snap back, They can stretch a mile, before they tear an inch! 

Thanks! See above comment I made, reassuring though!

Great looking clam, btw!

Thanks! It's a Dr. Macs. It looks different depending on what angle you're looking at it, and is about 5" long. I was so tempted to take another one home yesterday at the meet... I've got enough going on, next meet there will be another one for sure.!

Unclear on what you're pointing out but uneven opening or opening differently than normal can be a sign of issues with the clam.  Have you checked the mantle and the shell for anything unusual?  Pinched mantle is a common infection in clams that I believe is caused by bacteria (could be some other sort of parasite or pathogen).  I don't necessarily see any of those, but again, not seeing much of anything in the picture and not sure what the clam normally looks like.

Unclear on what you're pointing out but uneven opening or opening differently than normal can be a sign of issues with the clam.  Have you checked the mantle and the shell for anything unusual?  Pinched mantle is a common infection in clams that I believe is caused by bacteria (could be some other sort of parasite or pathogen).  I don't necessarily see any of those, but again, not seeing much of anything in the picture and not sure what the clam normally looks like.

Perhaps this will be helpful?

c1ec9a51-9d47-4a46-b8c4-fca1443cbdae_zps

That looks totally normal to me. I think that opening you are seeing is where the water is "exhaled" when the clam filter feeds. I dont remember the scientific terms, but I think you are good to go.

That looks totally normal to me. I think that opening you are seeing is where the water is "exhaled" when the clam filter feeds. I dont remember the scientific terms, but I think you are good to go.

+1

Clam looks find to me.   I have 2 ORA clams and both of them have an opening like that.   I assume to suck water in / blow it out.   They also both have a snorkel of sorts protruding out.   that's the other end of the filter feeding loop.  

+1

Clam looks find to me.   I have 2 ORA clams and both of them have an opening like that.   I assume to suck water in / blow it out.   They also both have a snorkel of sorts protruding out.   that's the other end of the filter feeding loop.  

Cool, will stop stressing. I always thought the snorkel was the mouth, as it is usually what squirts the water my way when it's pissed. Looks like I have some reading to do...

That is just the inhalant aperture and it looks healthy and fine. The clam pulls in the water through that slit which acts like a prefilter screen before the water goes across the gills called a ctenidium. I think you knew that and just wanted to show off your awesome looking clam!

If you're interested in having a good book on giant clams on your bookshelf, I would recommend Daniel Knop's Giant Clams, A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tridacnid Clams. I'm not sure that it's in print these days, but you can get a used copy on Amazon rather inexpensively.

That is just the inhalant aperture and it looks healthy and fine. The clam pulls in the water through that slit which acts like a prefilter screen before the water goes across the gills called a ctenidium. I think you knew that and just wanted to show off your awesome looking clam!

Haha, thanks for confirming. You can see why I would be worried if it looked like it was going south! This was from the "Dr. Macs, we pick your clam out and give you a good price on it" sale. I took a gamble, and I'm glad I did!

If you're interested in having a good book on giant clams on your bookshelf, I would recommend Daniel Knop's Giant Clams, A Comprehensive Guide to the Identification and Care of Tridacnid Clams. I'm not sure that it's in print these days, but you can get a used copy on Amazon rather inexpensively.

Thanks for that! Jan had recommended that book to me a ways ago. I have a handful of saltwater literature that I am working on making my way through cover to cover. I suppose this will be on the list now as well!

(edited)

This guy is a walking reference.lol

Really Tho', Tom know's his stuff...

Edited by TheyCallMeMr.703