Monti Plate mounting

Djplus1

Is it better to mount a monti plate with super glue gel or coral stick putty? I have some putty I've never used since I've heard it does funky things to your skimmer, but I don't know how I will get super glue to work properly.

You should be alright. Think of it like a super glue sandwich, superglue a piece of putty, attach the cap to the superglue side squeeze into putty a bit. Super glue the bottom of that, attach another ball of putty, super glue the bottom of that, and attach to rock. Or just use superglue, I stopped using putty as it was just an extra step... harder to remove though if you ever change your mind.

I just used super glue on rock, but I think I want to move one to the back glass. I read that glueing or putty to some coralline work best. Is it easy to do with a 3" frag or is this maneuver only suitable for chips? I'm guessing the putty is the way to go in his instance?

For the back glass, you could also try glueing to a magnetic scraper and then you could move it around as needed until you, and the coral, are happy with placement. Theoretically it should encrust beyond the scraper at some point if its small.

For the back glass, you could also try glueing to a magnetic scraper and then you could move it around as needed until you, and the coral, are happy with placement. Theoretically it should encrust beyond the scraper at some point if its small.

+1

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Is it a monti cap or monti undata? Caps are easier to stay glued. Either way, it's hard to get anything bigger than an inch to stay stuck on the glass, especially with snails wandering around. But most montis grow so fast that even a small 1" frag will become a nice shelf fairly quickly.

If you leave the mag float in one place too long, the frag will encrust over it onto the wall, then you won;t be able to move it around.

If you leave the mag float in one place too long, the frag will encrust over it onto the wall, then you won;t be able to move it around.

Very usefull and great Tip... Stay ontop of it... Just move around once every day or so, and You'll be ok.... For a Lil' While...

Very usefull and great Tip... Stay ontop of it... Just move around once every day or so, and You'll be ok.... For a Lil' While...

It will get so big that you won't be able to move it without fragging it.

+1 these things encrust so fast. I have a plating coral in the center of my rockwork because of a bad glue job. It anchored itself to the rock in less than a couple days.