Hello from Ashburn newbie!

Hey everyone just wanted to introduce myself on here as I just met quite a few of you guys at the frag fest! (Which was awesome btw).. My name is John and although I have been in the aquarium world for a long time in mostly african cichlids (still have my cichlid show tank) I am still quite new the the reef world.. With so much info to take in, I am so eager to learn from everybody here on becoming a successful reefer! Look forward to meeting more faces and happy reefing everybody!

Welcome to the area, And what kind of tank's do your got running, other then The Cichlid?? I actually also have North American Cichlid's in another tank of mine. Smart Fish. But Yeha'. Welcome to WAMAS.

Welcome to the area, And what kind of tank's do your got running, other then The Cichlid?? I actually also have North American Cichlid's in another tank of mine. Smart Fish. But Yeha'. Welcome to WAMAS.

right now I have a 12g nano reef setup..(small I know) and I purchased a 40g to upgrade to in the near future..

Welcome! You will see very quickly folks here are very helpful and you will catch on quick!

Thanks! and that is awesome as I will have plenty of questions to ask to learn from :)

So what tank do you have running now? We love pictures.

I have a 12g nano reef setup now . Not much but I do plan to learn and upgrade to my 40 soon.. Thank you for the warm welcome!

My tank

Skip the 40 and just go as big as you possibly can right now. That is my friendly advice to you from a guy who started with a 14gallon in Nov 12'.

I have to agree with going bigger. You would over load that 40g in one or two club meeting. I think a 120g is the best size tank before they really get big and expensive.

+1 on getting bigger speaking from experience. You can get good deals here on used equipment and welcome aboard. Now I don't feel as lonely with a new member from Ashburn!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I def agree with everybody on going bigger, only problem is I only have the space for a 40g :/ sucks I know but this is what I will be working with or else I would def have a 125 or higher.. my question is for everyone's opinion.. What would you say the most expensive purchase I will make in setting this up?

+1 on getting bigger speaking from experience. You can get good deals here on used equipment and welcome aboard. Now I don't feel as lonely with a new member from Ashburn!Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Awesome! Where in ashburn do you live?

I def agree with everybody on going bigger, only problem is I only have the space for a 40g :/ sucks I know but this is what I will be working with or else I would def have a 125 or higher.. my question is for everyone's opinion.. What would you say the most expensive purchase I will make in setting this up?

Most expensive.....lighting or a skimmer....both that are really good are expensive...I buy over rated fixtures so I can use them when I upgrade...like my skimmer I bought, from a fellow reefer, is rated for 100g and I currently only run a 50g....

I will also so either build your own stand, especially for a tank this small...but when you get larger just have a square tube metal stand built and skin it yourself....save lots of money and headaches that way...

• 2 weeks later...