Which 100g tank?

cbashaw

I'm planning to have a tank built and am torn between sizes. They are both about 100g.

36x36x18 or 30x30x25

It will be a soft coral tank with minimalist aqua scraping.

Most lights can easily handle 25" height as you really are looking at about 21"-22" when you account for the bottom pane and water height. Why not go bigger with the max dimensions you can fit? Or just combine with 36x36x25?

Most lights can easily handle 25" height as you really are looking at about 21"-22" when you account for the bottom pane and water height. Why not go bigger with the max dimensions you can fit? Or just combine with 36x36x25?

I've thought about this option too. That would bring it up to 140g my only concern would be that it would add a considerable amount of extra weight. since it would be on the 2nd floor I'm afraid of going too heavy. Do you think 140g would be too much weight for a 2nd floor. It's a new house.

I could also do 36x36 and a little taller than 18.

For lighting I'm really leaning towards kessils. The tank will be in a corner and viewable from 2 sides.

I'd also look at the spread of whatever lighting you favor when picking a tank size. Will it have good PAR over what area? How many of that option will it take to adequately cover each size tank. I don't know kessil coverage and have never had one. For T5, it might be easier to come by 36" fixtures, a 24" fixture over a 30" length may also be just fine given you want softies.

I'd do the 36" cube in a 21" height or something slightly north of that....but that opinion has nothing to do with livestock planning. You could probably light that with 4 of the d120s in monkiboy's Evergrow group buy (see Ridetheducati's PAR readings post) and then keep anything you ever might want. You might also do a 6 or 8 bulb T5 fixture....or two 4 bulb fxtures. I have less knowledge of MH personally

I would go 36"x36" but try to go 20" or even 22" high. When tanks get 24" and deeper they can be harder to reach the bottom and back of without using tools.

After looking into lighting it seems that quite a few people have lit their 30X30 93 gallon cube tanks with a single Kessil led. I think by going to a 36" tank I would need to add a 2nd light, between that and the reach issues of the 36" tank I'm starting to lean towards the30X30X25 at this point.  

I think the spread on a Kessil is better suited for 24"x24" though. If that is indeed the case you'll have darkness all around the edges of your tank even with the smaller tank.

Besides, almost everything that makes all of us crazy people upgrade is due to size. Like a big screen TV, you'll always regret going smaller.

This is a tough decision...  

If I go with the 36X36 tank will I be able to add more fish since the area will be larger? The gallons are close to the same either way. Is the concern about adding more fish about the bio load or the actual the actual space for them to swim? 

If I go with the 36X36 tank will I be able to add more fish since the area will be larger? The gallons are close to the same either way. Is the concern about adding more fish about the bio load or the actual the actual space for them to swim? 

A little from column A and a little from column B. Length is good when it comes to tangs as apparently 6 feet is the sweet spot (why do any of these fish head hypocrites really care as we all just imprison these fish anyway).

For instance a 2ft wide tank that is 6 ft tall would be no good even it does have the same amount of water as a 6ft wide and 2 ft tall tank.

It's both.

One thing to consider is how you intend on setting up the tank. I like low, wide tanks for frags and good light penetration and for the extra "floorspace." If it's set too low, though, everybody but young kids will be bending over to look into the side panes to get a good view. Viewing is most often done from the side if the water on top is in motion, making it difficult to look in. In this case, a taller tank may provide for better views. Not to mention, the taller tank has a tighter footprint and therefore you may find that you have more flexibility for placement.

You know what the real answer is, though: Go bigger. Go wider and taller at the same time.

Looking at prices, it's not going to cost much more to go to 20 or 22 inches tall on the 36X36 tank instead of 18" 

I'm wondering if the reach would be too much if I go up to 22"

I will be able to access the tank from the front and side so I'm thinking it shouldn't be too bad. Any thoughts? 

A squared plus b squared is c squared...

18" h means ~40" top to far bottom back corner. At 22" h, it's ~42"

Average shirt sleeve is 33"...which stops at the wrist. Find yourself a good tailor to know for sure...j/k...haha. But seriously, where are you putting the overflow? Will the bottom back corner be closer due to overflow placement?

I was thinking about putting the overflow in the corner so it will make it a little closer. At least I will be able to access the tank from the front and one side so i think I should be OK . I plan to do a minimalist aquascape too with no rocks touching the glass, so that should help too.  

Sounds like you've made a decision

Yeah, I'm pretty sure I'm going to go with 36X36X22. Once I get moved to the new house I will order it., and get started.  :clap: