019_zps9c8626e0.jpg

018_zpscaa15ba0.jpg

017_zps9887cd65.jpg

015_zps50949684.jpg

014_zps58e45989.jpg

013_zpsbd8ab20f.jpg

012_zps4082275d.jpg

011_zps8b1a681a.jpg

i should note this will be my first attempt at a skimmerless nano with a nice size refugium and weekly water changes

so, what i have so far is:

new 17 gallon mr aqua rimless nano

new glass holes overflow and return, first time ive ever drilled glass-not as bad as i expected

ati 24" 4 bulb t-5 unit

mp-10wes foor flow

mag 3 return

custom built by adam at artfully acrylic sump/refugium with sock holder flowing into nice size refugium then into seperate return section.

also from adam custom ato resevoir.

custom light brackets from same chassis shop where i had my other brackets fabricated. by the way, if anyone would like to get away from the bulky lowes piping i see alot of people using the guy i go to is very reasonable. i think i have less then 40 bucks in these light brackets. the rod is only 1/2 steel rod so not so bulky like the pipe and alot stronger.

new kessil 150 will be used as the refugium light. the coralife light i was origanally using which you can see in the pics, well lets just say i wouldnt recommend that light to my worst enemy.

not pictured but also using a reefkeeper lite with 2 pc-4 with temp probe and later i will add the ph  probe.

hopefully gonna plumb it this weekend sometime so i can get the cycle started. only thing left i need is an avast ato setup and im ready to rock.

Somebody's got the bug real bad!

Looking forward to watching this build.

(Sent from my phone)

Thanks everyone. Yep, I'm out of real estate so the Zoas and palys must go. Most of them anyways.

Cool Eric, can't wait to see it in person.

(edited)

This will look great.

Gotta ask though - Kessil A150 for a refugium light?  Seems like an expensive fixture just to light up a refugium...

Edited by Orion

This will look great.

Gotta ask though - Kessil A150 for a refugium light?  Seems like an expensive fixture just to light up a refugium...

I agree but after buying the coralife $50 light and bulbs only lasting one month I wasn't gonna keep buying bulbs. And without experience with a skimmerless setup I'm assuming it definitely can't hurt to make sure the macro is getting plenty of light.

That's going to be a nice setup!

I have a nano sps tank that is skimmerless and I feel the success of it is due to xenia filtration and a cryptic refugium.  You should think about a few types of xenia rather than macroalgae.  And if you can develop a low or no-light section somewhere to grow sponges, that will be even better.  I feed powdered coral food a few times a week to help out the sponges.  Phytoplankton would probably be better.  Good luck!

Oh, if you want to meet up next time I head out to the shop I can bring you a lot of xenia to jumpstart it.  I think we met up at the mcdonalds near 81 & 66 last time.

Yep that's me. Are you saying xenia in the fuge section? And I've heard a lot of good things on the cryptic fuge but I think my space is to limited but I definitely like the idea. Since you have skimmerless sps setup how often do you do water changes?