Plumbing

Mattiejay6

I am going to be running a Herbie system under my tank and was wondering what people use for the gate valve or ball valve on the main overflow line? I know BRS sells the true union ball valve but it is schedule 80 and 25 bucks..

Also if I can't run a straight pipe from the tank down to the sump and need to put a 90 degree angle or 2 is that ok?

if you run any 90° it will slow your flow rate. and you can get schedule 40 ball valves at lowes with or without unions (screw in type) gate valves are used for fine tuning your skimmer or what have you. 

What is a Herbie system?

spend the money, buy the cepex or savko gate valve (both are good) or even better for fine tuning something like a herbie, the spears gate valve which allows even further precision. you cheap out now, that lowes/HD or cheapo valve will begin to get tough on you in months time and it only gets worse. the true union is also a freebie and a must in several places in your plumbing and the drains is a great location.

I have used Lowes/HD Sched 40 PVC pipe/unions/valves for years and never had a problem with them. IME there is no need to spend more money.

I do think you should get true union valves where possible. You will thank yourself later when you discover an unforeseen need to take the pipe out.

I recommend  the Spears gate valve.  Works well for fine tuning and quieting my overflow drains.  Got mine from Glass-holes.com.  I got a HD ball valve for my return and it is tough to turn....