Lets have an ozone discussion...

(edited)

Paul, I run a 300 mg corona discharge unit on my 300 gallons at home. I run it through the Deltec AP701, which is rated for use with Ozone, I split the skimmer air intake and used a check valve and a small air valve to regulate how much air gets pulled in, and the rest pulls through the Ozone unit. I have not been running an air dryer on it, and it is not very efficient but it burns through so much resin that I just gave up trying to use it. I would NOT run any ozone without a controller to cut it off, if not, you risk sterilizing your tank! You should run the skimmer return through carbon, however again I do not...probably not an issue because without the air dryer it is not very potent. Hope that helps and I can take a picture of the set up if you need to see it. Oh yea, one more thing that I do that I am not supposed to, I run a 57 w uv sterilizer as well....

Edited by johnnybv

So instead of an air pump you tune the air flow with a small air valve?

Also it seems as though most of the people I have heard from that run ozone, don't do it per the plans. I really want to run the enaly unit as efficiently as possible.

I know there are more people out there that use ozone! And I am thankful for everyone's input so far :)

I have run an Enaly 200 and I did not detect any decline in efficiency with larger or smaller pumps.  More air seems to be a good thing.

Like Justin said, you need lots of airflow with the UV style generators like I am using.   Right now I am running a Super Luft that puts1.34 cubic feet of air per minute through  a 360mg Ultralife generator.   It needs all of that airflow.  The air comes out pretty warm to the skimmer.   I run outside air to it and change the bulb every 18 months.    I do not get any ozone smell feeding two PSK-1000s on an Avast CS2.

What is the power consumption of a UV based ozone generator like the Ultralife mini?  I can't find it listed anywhere.  And is it really just that easy to hook up?  Plug it in and put it inline in the skimmer intake? (With the caveat that the ozone might wreck the plastic along it's path).

(edited)

I have never run carbon on the skimmer output. I usually have had a big monster skimmer that more than ensures complete reaction with the ozone before the water exits.

I do the same thing.  I have been running Ozone 24/7 on my 100 gallon tank for about 38 years. I don't use carbon and I am sure my controller does not work.  I run the generator as high as it can go and never shut it off.  No problems yet.

My homemade skimmer is large.  The Ozone generator is to the left.  OK you younguns make fun of my wall phone with the cord that is older than most of you.  It doesn't take pictures but I can hit you over the head with it.

My thermometer is that round thing that I took out of a boiler in a basement in manhattan.  I think it was the Plaza Hotel.  State of the art.

IMG_0460.jpg

Edited by paul b

OMG do I see a BRASS plumbing fixture on the bottom of your skimmer???

You live on the edge Paul!

I can't tell if that's a brass spigot or if it's 38 year old yellowed phenolic resin.  Maybe he has a Bakelite valve to drain his skimmer body. 8)

(edited)

How long do ozone generators last?            

My first one lasted about 10 years, this one is maybe five, a member on here sold it to me.

That "brass" valve is plastic and it is used to remove water from my tank.  I can do water changes from there or take water to hatch brine shrimp in which I do every day.

The nickel coated brass temperature guage also has a brass bulb that is in my tank, but it is sealed in an acrylic tube.

You guys are Sissies, what do you want, your reef tank to last forever?  :rolleyes:  

That venture skimmer uses 2 water pumps and 2 air pumps to operate.  It requires no maintenance and has a 5 gallon effluent bucket with an auto shut off if it fills (or leaks)  It cost about $10.00 to build not including the pumps but the pump that runs water through the venture is many years old, either 15 or 20 I don't even remember buying it and I rarely see it or pay any attention to it.  I am sure if I tried to clean it, it would fall apart.

Edited by paul b

Full bore and never had to have to dial the unit back while monitoring ORP. I still monitor ORP, though, for safety if using ozone, though high levels have never been a problem.

Wow, so basically everyone I have talked to also runs their units full bore. Did everyone slowly ramp up the ozone the way I am going to?

I run mine full bore also, but without the air dryer who knows who much I am actually getting. One thing I can tell you is that my controller DOES turn it off when my ORP gets above either 380 or 400 I forget where I set it.

What is the power consumption of a UV based ozone generator like the Ultralife mini?  I can't find it listed anywhere.  And is it really just that easy to hook up?  Plug it in and put it inline in the skimmer intake? (With the caveat that the ozone might wreck the plastic along it's path).

Power consumption is tough to tell by the documentation. I just turned it off and measured it with my Apex. The big Ultralife 360 with the SuperLuft pump pull 0.4 amps combined. Less than I expected....

Wow, I apreciate all the help guys! I was just reading this over and noticed that almost all of the people who posted in this thread are people I have admired in the hobby or looked up to I guess you could say. I told you all my favorite tanks run ozone.

So I have it running at 25 now and will work my way up within the month, still on the fence about monitoring a other probe though :) When did everyone see a change in skim?

The only way I can explain it is it smells like that smell when you're around a running motor that uses brushes (like an old power drill) - the sparks in the motor generate ozone.

I see, I know that smell. I am guessing that if it gets released in the air you will smell it before it becomes harmful to small animals like cats and such right? Our cat was puking last night and I got paranoid. I can't smell anything and there is really no way for it to excape into the air. I am thinking it just got into something.

It smells like walking outside right after a thunderstorm in the summer, after the rain, sometimes before.  Once you smell it, you will recognize the smell.