Lets have an ozone discussion...

I am about to add ozone to the 210, and I figured I should start a topic on here before I get going. Seems like we never talk about ozone on here. First off I would like to hear everyone's thoughts and experiences about it. Even if you don't run it now and you have in the past. Please let me know your thoughts.

I am debating on using a probe and controller. I was thinking about starting off at the very least and slowly bumping it ups dry week. I will be using an enIaly 100 plus and am thinking about not using an air dryer and probly will run carbon in a filter sock at the skimmers exit. Any thoughts? Also struggling to find any fittings locally so I may have to order some stuff off brs to even ge it going.

There are some UV ozone generators that you won't need an air dryer for.

Isn't the air dryer just to make it more efficient? I will have to look up the uv ozone generator I have never heard of it.

Also does it matter what size air pump you use?

Use a controller to turn off the ozone when ORP reaches above a certain level. I think 400 is a good number, maybe someone else knows a better number.

David

No it's a good question!

I have always loved the look of a system using uv, beautiful clear water! Along with healthier looking fish and stanky skim its something I always wanted to add to our system. This post is so people can learn some with me. I don't want to put any of the animals or humans in our house at risk, this stuff can be very bad if not used correctly.

I would love to hear people's opinions on running carbon for the skimmer exit. I have seen some people use it and others not use it and run the unit almost full bore (with nice looking livestock I might add).

I don't think I should need the air pump with my skimmer pump around 2000gph using a mazzi injector, should I? Also what are people using check valves for? I kept reading a out check valves or something with the air pump?

You don't want water to back up the airline and into the ozone generator. It's safety

I have always used ozone. I really prefer the Ultralife units that do not require a dryer.

http://premiumaquatics.com/aquatic-supplies/UL-UZMINI.html

I run an air pump through mine, it might be worth trying without one to see how it effects the skimmer operation.

I have never run carbon on the skimmer output. I usually have had a big monster skimmer that more than ensures complete reaction with the ozone before the water exits.

i thought about using it a few years ago so i am interested in this as well

I have always run mine with a controller. This recent tank has been odd though. This tank runs an ORP in the low-to-mid 200s, even with the ozone running wide-open 24/7. The other tanks I had would shoot above an ORP of 400 if a controller was not used.

Yea that's weird, I read a good number was 300 to 350. After reading more think I am going to use a probe. Also I need to order all the tubing and fittings to make it safe, then will probly use the controller and slowly increase the ozone weekly while watching to see how it affects the tank. Since I have been making a lot of changes to the tank I think it is going to have to be done really slow.

How long will a generator last?

Make sure to look at the ozone production specs for the generator you are buying.  IME, the UV-based generators require about 10x the airflow to generate the same amount of O3 per unit time.  Therefore, they work best in high-airflow applications like skimmer intakes, which is why the commercial sized skimmers like RK2 use them.  Of course with a skimmer there is no easy way to carbon filter the exhaust air, so if you run e.g., the Ultralife generator into a high air-draw skimmer, you will probably smell the ozone.  The corona discharge style units (like the Enaly or other hobbyest sized units) usually need an airpump to push air through them.  They don't require nearly as much airflow to generate their max output, usually around 1-3 scfh.  That also means if you hook them up to a pinwheel skimmer and pull tons of air through them, they won't produce ozone in any meaningful concentration.  Lastly, re: skimmer vs. reactor- if you choose the former, make sure all the parts are ozone safe, especially the pump and pinwheel impeller, which tend to be the most expensive components.  With a reactor, the ability to carbon filter both the water and air means you won't have any toxic byproducts leaving the system.  Smelling a little bit of ozone won't hurt anything, as we are very sensitive to even trace amounts in the air, well below dangerous levels.  But if you smell it very strongly and get a headache, that's a bad thing.  Hope this helps!

Make sure to look at the ozone production specs for the generator you are buying.  IME, the UV-based generators require about 10x the airflow to generate the same amount of O3 per unit time.  Therefore, they work best in high-airflow applications like skimmer intakes, which is why the commercial sized skimmers like RK2 use them.  Of course with a skimmer there is no easy way to carbon filter the exhaust air, so if you run e.g., the Ultralife generator into a high air-draw skimmer, you will probably smell the ozone.  The corona discharge style units (like the Enaly or other hobbyest sized units) usually need an airpump to push air through them.  They don't require nearly as much airflow to generate their max output, usually around 1-3 scfh.  That also means if you hook them up to a pinwheel skimmer and pull tons of air through them, they won't produce ozone in any meaningful concentration.  Lastly, re: skimmer vs. reactor- if you choose the former, make sure all the parts are ozone safe, especially the pump and pinwheel impeller, which tend to be the most expensive components.  With a reactor, the ability to carbon filter both the water and air means you won't have any toxic byproducts leaving the system.  Smelling a little bit of ozone won't hurt anything, as we are very sensitive to even trace amounts in the air, well below dangerous levels.  But if you smell it very strongly and get a headache, that's a bad thing.  Hope this helps!

Great info here!

So using a whisper 40 to push air into the lifereefs mazzi injector supply tubing should yield good results?

Unless the skimmer normally pulls more air than the pump delivers, in which case you'll starve the skimmer of air.  Just try it and see what happens.  You really can't overdose with a 100mg/hr unit.

I use ozone generated by a corona discharge type of generator and driven by a Coralife Luft pump. It drives an Avast Ozone system, including a carbon-filled reactor at the back end. I use an air dryer to increase efficiency of the generator and to prevent possible formation of nitric acid from water and nitrogen in the air path. (I'm not always good about replacing the drying beads, though.)  I have an ORP probe that monitors the tank ORP and shuts the generator down if it gets too high. Generally speaking, with my 200 mg/hr generator, I've not seen any substantial risk of this happening. I use the system mostly as a means of breaking down organics in the water that might otherwise not skim easily. I want to build a box for my luft pump so that I can draw outside air through it rather than the humid air in my fish-room. I think this would help extend the life of my air-drying beads (which can be recharged, but it's a pain to do so).

Unless the skimmer normally pulls more air than the pump delivers, in which case you'll starve the skimmer of air.  Just try it and see what happens.  You really can't overdose with a 100mg/hr unit.

The air also is sucked through the top of the collection pump so it would be pulling full fresh air from there, this air pump would just tee of that opened line.