I don't trust this skimmer

rebekwl

Aqua-C Older model w/ mag 9 ,tried cleaning it... Not producing Anything, even after feedings... I have it set up as I should. Anyone know about these? I've always owned ASM's However, This one came with the tank.. Thought I would give it a try, Very disappointing so far.

I would soak in in vinegar overnight and then run the pump on the skimmer in vinegar for another 24 hours.  Those injectors like to get clogged.  My advice would be to get rid of it (I don't like the aqua-c skimmers).

I would soak in in vinegar overnight and then run the pump on the skimmer in vinegar for another 24 hours.  Those injectors like to get clogged.  My advice would be to get rid of it (I don't like the aqua-c skimmers).

Agreed, I don't care much for the design.. I think I prefer something with a Venturi... Just my humble opinion. But, It could be an operator error :comp:

(edited)

I have been looking at Needle wheel style skimmers? Bubble magus etc.. Any thoughts on that? I can do without the excess bubbles that I hear about.

Edited by rebekwl

I got one aqua c with mag 7 and it"s junk. You have to put it at the right level of water or it will not produce anything

I looked it up and I think it's set right.. But, It appears to change day to day.. 

If you look at the bubbles if there are lots of turbulence (big bubbles and not sticking together) chances are you are not setting correctly or your pump is too strong.

hmm! Which model do you have? Possible clogg. I had use one (aquaC urchin Pro) and it ran like a champ!

Not sure, But it's about 9+ years old.. 

Run the water level between 1/2 inches from the top

just like you would with a needlewheel it will

never shut down and is a great skimmer set up

that way.

Thats right below the cup in the main body a inch or so

from the cup dont run the skimmer like there site tells you to

it is poor advice.

I agree about needing pictures.

I ran an aquaC EV400 for a while and liked it OK (at the time - early 2000s), it was the bees knees. The only complaint I really had about it was it's super-sensitivity to oils in the water (i.e., if I put my arm in the tank, the bubble column would be gone and take a couple hours to return).

Can you measure the height? That will tell us what model it is. Also, what is the size of the nozzle fitting that goes into the skimmer? Some of the original models had a 3/4" fitting that was eventually replaced (for free I think, but you'd have to contact the company) with a 1" fitting that worked much better.

These days, there are more efficient things that do the same thing in a smaller size out there, but it's still a solid and simple model, so I would not replace it immediately if there are other priorities.

I've heard good things about the Urchin and the Remora lines. I myself have used the Remora and Remora Pro on smaller tanks with success. I don't have any experience with their other models.

A picture would definitely help.

One thing that I've done in the past to gain confidence in a skimmer, or a new needle wheel is to check it using some skimmate from another tank. Set up a small tank or tray of salt water and pour a little in of the skimmate in the water and let the skimmer do it's thing. You can do a really rough qualitative assessment by looking at either the skimmate removed or the before/after clarity of the water in the tray. Not very scientific, but it can be used as a confidence assessment.

The mistake people make with a aqua-c is that it is 2 completly

different skimmers based on the water level.

If you run it at the base of the tower like the manufacturer and most people

run it the skimmer is just like a etss it works only well on very heavy

fish an coral loaded tanks.

It will stop working all the time on a normal reef tank but you can

set it up with a high water level just below the cup this completely

changes how it functions.

This produces a solid foam head that is very stable very similar to a etss beckett

mode there is no more shutting down with feedings ....etc.

I had an EV400 and it was really difficult. Like Chad said, it was realy touchy about water quality. I found any needle wheel skimmer would out-perform it at a fraction of the electricity and noise.

• 2 weeks later...

I think you should just buy my Deltec and be done with it!!  :)

Give it a little more time.  I know that my MRC looks like it doesn't work after I clean the injectors.......then all of a sudden it's a foam monster.  If it's not working by today I would think that the injector is clogged or not working right.  That's one reason I don't like the spray injector type skimmers.  They clog easily and are a pain in the @$$ to get clean. 

Good luck with it.

Glad to hear it's working now.  I've been running a Aua-C 120 for around 7 years now on a 55g. I hated it for the first two years. Now I think it's great. I'm sure there are better, more effecent skimmers out there, but it will do the job. that said don't expect great things out of the box. Here are a few tips...

1. use a filter sock - not sure why but it really helps (maybe it helps capture larger particles, oils)

2. use a larger pump - I'm using a mag 7 (instead of a 5)

3. cut two circles of egg crate and fit them (grids off-centered) in the bottom of the neck. There a little lip at the bottom where they fit nicely. - think bubble diffuser (reduces water/bubble turbulence right where the head begins to form)

4. wedge something in the middle of the spray injector. I used a plastic screw anchor cut in half - jammed in parallel to the spray. Basically it turns the one large spray nozzle into three smaller ones. (reduces the volume of water traveling through the skimmer and increases pressure of the spray) note: it will clog easier with the smaller nozzles so check periodically

5. make sure you clean out the air valve frequently if clogs with salt creep

(also, sump water level needs to remain constant, water level in skimmer should be at the right at the level of the eggcreate, water conditioners & oils will wreck you for a long time)

hope that helps!

I have had all the same problems with my aqua c. Finally got it working after adjusting valves for a week. It still takes a dump for about an hour after sticking hands in or food. gave up on it and am waiting on a more user friendly reef octopus. It's not worth the risk. Anyone want to buy it?

Raise the water level 2 inches below the cup usually right at the

AQUA-C letters.

The sweet spot is within a inch of this spot depending on the pump.

Try it it works great at that spot.

I have run every AQUA-C but a 400 and they all work great higher up.

I was just running a AQUA-C 1000 on a DEEP BLUE that only pulled

35 watts and set up the water level at the AQUA-C letters which is

about 2 inches from the cup.

Ran with this combo it was a super stable skimmer that never shut down

even with any feedings /hand in water .....etc.