Upgrading to 125g and need some ideas/help

Arkonen

Been a long time lurker, but finally decided to take the post plunge. This past weekend I had a seal fail in the bottom on my 90 gallon tank, so I took it as a sign to upgrade to a 125. I currently have all of my livestock/coral being housed by a friend so I can get all of my plumbing and stand finished up this week. I will be using a 40g breeder as my new sump, just need to get the glass or acrylic cut (know of anyone around here that can be of help?).

I've got a slew of questions, so bear with me :).

Aquascaping:

What layout/design would be best for a 72 1/2 x 18 1/2 x 23 3/8 tank? I am running an MP40w ES and an MP 10w ES for flow. Is there anyone here on WAMAS that is an aquascaping guru near Bunker Hill, WV I could pick the brain of? I am also considering ordering some pukani rock from BulkReefSupply as it looks the most porous around. What are your thoughts?

Bare bottom:

I have done sand on my last few tanks, but want something different this time. Has anyone used tile or other material to cover the bottom of their bare tank to give it a textured look and to protect the glass?

Reactor and/or return pump:

I am looking to power my reactors with 1 pump and split the flow with valves. What would be a recommended pump to either do only my 3 reactors, or to do the 3 reactors as well as the return to the display? I was looking into the mag drives, but was unsure of the recommended flow rates.

Livestock:

Since this is essentially a brand new start, I am looking to do something unique with this tank. Any suggestions of a specific coral/fish to keep? (I am a Zoa/LPS fan)

Any other assistance is much appreciated :)

Welcome to WAMAS.

Here's a link for a successful fake sandbed:

http://www.thereefta...=epoxy sand bed

Good luck!

Ooh that looks like it isn't too terrible to do. Thank you for the link.

Welcome neighbor, I like to aquascape.

Ha, I just sent you a PM as I realized you were the guy that did Eric's (pizzaguy) tank that I got to see in person last week. I have to say, that tank looks absolutely amazing.

Ooh that looks like it isn't too terrible to do. Thank you for the link.

Ha, I just sent you a PM as I realized you were the guy that did Eric's (pizzaguy) tank that I got to see in person last week. I have to say, that tank looks absolutely amazing.

Ditto on that.

Welcome!

Welcome neighbor, I like to aquascape.

and he is AMAZING at it...not to mention a wealth of knowledge..youre in good hands....

and he is AMAZING at it...not to mention a wealth of knowledge..youre in good hands....

Thank you Jenn! :)

I'm very close to you, Frank and I did my tank. I'd be glad to help.

(edited)

I just redid my 90

Before

IMG_1085_zps0e42be74.jpg

After

2009-01-02110222_zps2d470185.jpg

Edited by surf&turf

Lol I'll just quote myself :D

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

Frank is defiantly the GURU! And a wealth of knowledge. By the way Frank tank looks great as always! Need to get by and see it

I asked Frank for help and he will be coming over Saturday to help aquascape the tank... Will definitely post pictures when it is done :)

Bare bottom:

I have done sand on my last few tanks, but want something different this time. Has anyone used tile or other material to cover the bottom of their bare tank to give it a textured look and to protect the glass?

I've seen people use Starboard (HPDE) and coat it with epoxy and sand. I'm sure you can use tile and do the same thing. The epoxy most used is Envirotex which can be bought at a craft store like Michaels.

What type and size reactors are you planning to use?