Why I love this hobby

paul b

I mean is it me, look at how cool some of this stuff is. You can have a dog, and well, it's a dog. OK everybody has a dog. (I don't) or you can have a cat although I don't know why anyone would have a cat. (I don't have one and never will) My Daughter has one for about a year and I don't think I ever saw the thing. I have no idea what color it is, how many legs it has, nothing, it's a cat. It's name is probably, cat. Maybe Felix, I have no idea.

But fish are so cool. How many different types of cats are there? 4, 7? Who knows, and more importantly. Who cares. It's a cat.

But fish. OMG, there are thousands, and they don't poop in a stinky litterbox, they don't spit up those disquesting hair balls or scratch the furnature (although they sometimes leak on it). When they die, you flush it and go buy another one. Even catfish are cooler than cats. Hech, amphipods are cooler than cats. OK, so I don't like cats, don't hate me. I know a lot of people have cats. I don't know why. But a lot of people don't know why I have fish. They just don't get it.

If you have a dog or cat, you give it some food and water and forget about it. But fish, have a life. Well for me they do. Yes, I know, I am weird.

But I do have multitudes of friends, some since grammar school but of course none of them have fish. They all have dogs and cats.

My wife has a cousin and quite a few years ago we went to their house for dinner and they have this big cat. It could have been a lion but they said it was just a house cat. It was on top of this high piece of furnature starring at us. Her cousin said not to make any sudden moves or the cat will attach you. I mean, Really. Would you have an animal that may attack you if you make a sudden move? I can run back and forth in front of my tank for as long as 15 minutes and not one of my clown gobies will make a move towards me.

My neighbor is going on vacation and she wants me to feed her dog. I hate that dog and I am scared to death of it. Whenever I walk up to her door, it growls, barks, jumps up and down and scratches curses in the glass door referencing me. She says he is playing. Like Duh, Playing. I get the horrors when I go there and now I have to play with this thing.

Anyway. Fish are so interesting and cool. just look at these guys. Try and get a cat that looks like this.

2013-05-05152412_zps2a69aff1.jpg

IMG_2380.jpg

IMG_1971.jpg

IMG_1585.jpg

IMG_1336-1.jpg

IMG_1329.jpg

IMG_1263.jpg

boxfish007-1.jpg

CopyofGorgonians1005.jpg

Gobieggs014.jpg

(edited)

I mean is it me, look at how cool some of this stuff is. You can have a dog, and well, it's a dog. OK everybody has a dog. (I don't) or you can have a cat although I don't know why anyone would have a cat. (I don't have one and never will) My Daughter has one for about a year and I don't think I ever saw the thing. I have no idea what color it is, how many legs it has, nothing, it's a cat. It's name is probably, cat. Maybe Felix, I have no idea.

But fish are so cool. How many different types of cats are there? 4, 7? Who knows, and more importantly. Who cares. It's a cat.

But fish. OMG, there are thousands, and they don't poop in a stinky litterbox, they don't spit up those disquesting hair balls or scratch the furnature (although they sometimes leak on it). When they die, you flush it and go buy another one. Even catfish are cooler than cats. Hech, amphipods are cooler than cats. OK, so I don't like cats, don't hate me. I know a lot of people have cats. I don't know why. But a lot of people don't know why I have fish. They just don't get it.

If you have a dog or cat, you give it some food and water and forget about it. But fish, have a life. Well for me they do. Yes, I know, I am weird.

But I do have multitudes of friends, some since grammar school but of course none of them have fish. They all have dogs and cats.

My wife has a cousin and quite a few years ago we went to their house for dinner and they have this big cat. It could have been a lion but they said it was just a house cat. It was on top of this high piece of furnature starring at us. Her cousin said not to make any sudden moves or the cat will attach you. I mean, Really. Would you have an animal that may attack you if you make a sudden move? I can run back and forth in front of my tank for as long as 15 minutes and not one of my clown gobies will make a move towards me.

My neighbor is going on vacation and she wants me to feed her dog. I hate that dog and I am scared to death of it. Whenever I walk up to her door, it growls, barks, jumps up and down and scratches curses in the glass door referencing me. She says he is playing. Like Duh, Playing. I get the horrors when I go there and now I have to play with this thing.

Anyway. Fish are so interesting and cool. just look at these guys. Try and get a cat that looks like this. ...

:lol: :lol: If you ever get tired of keeping aquariums, I think you may have a career in stand-up comedy. :clap:

The first pipefish "what're you lookin' at" shot is priceless.

Edited by LCDRDATA

I like dogs...and some cats... My last and only cat was a dog in a cats body...until it went crazy, I think this is why people don't like cats...

Anyways.. I love my fish! And I can understand the undying devotion to things that require us for life...

Dogs and cats are part of our family and we love them, but fish are just a hobby and more interesting, but not more loving or better "pets"

:lol: :lol: If you ever get tired of keeping aquariums, I think you may have a career in stand-up comedy. :clap:

Comedy has no room in this serious and austere hobby. :clap:

Its ironic I know, but cats just seem dirty to me....and shifty.. but fish are uber cool

And have their own personalities too...but dogs are king ;)

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

(edited)

I think ducks are king. I took this duck from a kid in Viet Nam who was going to have it for lunch. I gave him some C Rations .Anyway, This duck (DukDuk) stayed with me for about 8 months and except when I went someplace where I had to be quiet, he lived with me in the jungle. When I walked, he would run after me and sit down in front of me when I stopped. When I flew in a helicopter, he flapped his wings and I had to hold them down. He slept with his head on my arm and very quietly, all night he would say, quack, quack, quack like he was snoring. Then about 4:00 am he would put his beak in my ear and go QUACK,QUACK,QUACK until I got up and gave the both of us C Rations. He was a very cool pet, and he was a duck. I had to leave him there with a friend and never heard what happened to him. He may be running a Kentucky Fried Chicken in Ho Chi Minh CityDuck.jpg

Edited by paul b

i completely agree...ducks rule....great story!!! sad you couldn't bring him home :(

I couldn't even bring home my clothes. Nothing at all. Just the dirt on my body

Yes, well they gave me different clothes. I had to walk through a corridor naked. Now that is a sight you want to hold dear. They wanted to make sure I wasn't taking any guns or granades home. Or ducks I guess.

He was a very cool pet, and he was a duck. I had to leave him there with a friend and never heard what happened to him. He may be running a Kentucky Fried Chicken in Ho Chi Minh City

Probably stared in or produced this franchise:

http://youtu.be/SSw0hdaXzrA

Can I see a FTS. Do you have bottles in your tank?

There are only 10 or 11 bottles in there. Sometimes my re cycle bin fills up so I have to throw them in the tank.

IDK whats more interesting... your love for fish or your hatred for cats lol
I don't like cats much, not even the Broadway show, actually it was my least favorite play. I used to like catfish though.

October 2009 article in Reefkeeping Magazine.

This was one of my early exposures to Paul.

Tom, did you wear sunscreen? wideangletank.jpg

Why does everyone ask about bottles? They are natural as I collected most of them in the sea. OK so I did drink the Grand Marnier and the better liquers, but I only did it to get the bottles.copyof1317.jpg Bottle.jpg CopyofGorgonians1005.jpg Redalgae017.jpg 2008reef011.jpg Gobieggs014.jpg Budcanandcopperband.jpg Algae027.jpg

I could go on, but I won't

Tom, did you wear sunscreen?

No, but I haven't been burned. Just entertained!

Remember when I said I borrowed an electron microscope from a university to look at my UG filter? You got the horrors then and thought I was nuts.

I thought that I'd effectively erased that one from my memory, Paul. Thanks for the reminder. :cool:

I used to play in the electron microscope lab back in school. Never had a tank back then, though. Imaging a pod would have been a blast. (No pun intended.)

Paul, very entertaining! I look forward to your post. I'm not a big cat fan either but we have four Chihuahuas that we treat like kids. You are right on the fish and tanks though, I don't know what it is but it captivates me every time I look at mine