monkiboy's 265g build thread

I have been thinking about your fish stock list, which is similar to a lot of what I planned on. IMO I would add your wrasse first. This is based off the fact that I think they are a little more skittish based on my observations, and it will let them settle in. Out of all the tangs, my chevron is very peaceful. I have yet to add my yellow, naso, and powder blue, so I can't speak to how it will work for me, but they will all go in at the same time. I would definitely add your Achilles last. Mine was in the tank for about a week before I put it back in QT, anything I added was immediately assaulted by him. I look forward to seeing that black tang!

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Glad I started following this thread.  Didn't know about the Jebaos, but as soon as Uncle Same re opens, that is 2nd on my to order list.  By the way, Monkiboy, hurry up and stock that thing.  I have to live vicariously through you

sweet - glad to have you along! eager to see your progress too!

I have been thinking about your fish stock list, which is similar to a lot of what I planned on. IMO I would add your wrasse first. This is based off the fact that I think they are a little more skittish based on my observations, and it will let them settle in. Out of all the tangs, my chevron is very peaceful. I have yet to add my yellow, naso, and powder blue, so I can't speak to how it will work for me, but they will all go in at the same time. I would definitely add your Achilles last. Mine was in the tank for about a week before I put it back in QT, anything I added was immediately assaulted by him. I look forward to seeing that black tang!

i think you're exactly right, sir and that matches with what my trusted fish suppliers have said. wrasses, anthias, and others. then we can move on to the bigger boys and add them in groups by genus. achilles last indeed. purples and achilles seem to be the most aggressive and i would definitely want my wrasses to have sorted out their happy sleeping spots and cave hang outs prior to that. thanks for the input!

forgot to post an update...

made myself a sweet manifold from some irrigation gear and some cepex ball valves. i've made them from same materials before but this one for some reason just screams beee a utiful, haha.

the first angled 90° barb goes to the holding/acclimation tank and fuge which then flows into the nem prop tank and frag tank and then flows into the sump. the other two valves are for reactors and the last for a chiller or other high flow (1" barb) necessity down the road.

all this is being run off of the second dc10500 RO pump. this pump is only running at level 2 of 6 at the moment and producing plenty of flow. once i have the reactors and other stuff hooked up to the manifold i'll probably need to crank it up a bit.

CAM00329_zpsf9059670.jpg

CAM00328_zps2b4a0fc3.jpg

eight hours of plumbing later i have flow through the rest of the system and everything dialed in. no leaks, no sweat :cool:

CAM00333_zps2a31dee6.jpg

next is to figure out where the heck to put all my electrical components, drivers, wiring, etc up and away from water and humidity and start tidying things up!

Awesome. I cant wait to start seeing nems come out of this.

forgot to post an update...

made myself a sweet manifold from some irrigation gear and some cepex ball valves. i've made them from same materials before but this one for some reason just screams beee a utiful, haha.

the first angled 90° barb goes to the holding/acclimation tank and fuge which then flows into the nem prop tank and frag tank and then flows into the sump. the other two valves are for reactors and the last for a chiller or other high flow (1" barb) necessity down the road.

all this is being run off of the second dc10500 RO pump. this pump is only running at level 2 of 6 at the moment and producing plenty of flow. once i have the reactors and other stuff hooked up to the manifold i'll probably need to crank it up a bit.

CAM00329_zpsf9059670.jpg

CAM00328_zps2b4a0fc3.jpg

eight hours of plumbing later i have flow through the rest of the system and everything dialed in. no leaks, no sweat :cool:

CAM00333_zps2a31dee6.jpg

next is to figure out where the heck to put all my electrical components, drivers, wiring, etc up and away from water and humidity and start tidying things up!

Holy cow. Looking great man. I really like how the back of the tank turned out, at least from the backside. Glad to see it all working as planned!

Looks awesome.  Mind if I ask where you sourced the schedule 80 pvc for that manifold?  I've been looking for a local supply store.  BRS is awesome but it would be nice to just run to the store when I need something.

Ben

Looks awesome.  Mind if I ask where you sourced the schedule 80 pvc for that manifold?  I've been looking for a local supply store.  BRS is awesome but it would be nice to just run to the store when I need something.

Ben

hey ben, not at all. i try to plan ahead and do most my ordering online and order two or three of everything just in case and it hasn't let me down, so far ;)

the manifold i use on my setups is from sprinklerwarehouse.com (http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Action-Machine-Manifold-Fittings-p/ms-qm.htm) that is the quad but if you look they also have a dual and trio.

you can also add to the quad by using the buttress nut ends and just screw them on. that's what i like most about it, is that it is so versatile for barb fittings, slip fittings, reducers, etc and no solvent or sealant is used. connect your valves right up to it and it looks so clean and maintenance and swapping valves is very easy.

so you buy the manifold then all the fittings for it that you want depending on what you want to run off of it, and the input and output fittings in barb, slip, MPT/FPT, etc.

http://www.sprinklerwarehouse.com/Premium-Manifold-Parts-s/454.htm

there are always couponcodes floating around too and their customer service is stellar. enjoy!

• 2 weeks later...

am going to need some heaters for the setup so i picked up some of these finnex titanium heaters.

f4acbbf2-7ae8-492d-9385-efd62a428f92_zps

did a quick review and search but nothing too compelling. just didn't want glass and wanted something reliable so i dont know. anyone have experience with these and any issues? i saved the money of getting the separate controller as i'll have them programmed in and hooked up to the apex. i only needed one but figure i can use the other for redundancy or for a back up since i had a discount coupon and credit and group buy pricing to BRS, might as well.

59ace38b-7756-4f1f-a1e9-33fd10db59c6_zps

Some people run two, but with your APEX, just have it text you when your temp drops. 

I keep a second heater on hand but not plugged in. I'll probably just replace it once a year now that it routinely comes on since I switched from the T5's to the LEDs. I don't ever trust heaters not to short and they can quickly crash a reef. 

I've got a finnex with temp controller and its worked really well so far, little over a year been going and temps only about .25 off....

wow, that's great performance and good to hear. sounds like i made a good choice. i recently had a glass heater crack in my sister's 90g reef i set up for her and that was zapping fun for a good 24 hours before she noticed and i vowed to never use glass heaters again.

Some people run two, but with your APEX, just have it text you when your temp drops. 

I keep a second heater on hand but not plugged in. I'll probably just replace it once a year now that it routinely comes on since I switched from the T5's to the LEDs. I don't ever trust heaters not to short and they can quickly crash a reef. 

yeah...just have my apex do this and that and some of that too...riiiight. i think you and alan are going to be bribed with a 12-pack and dominican cooking to come and program this thing for me.

yeah...just have my apex do this and that and some of that too...riiiight. i think you and alan are going to be bribed with a 12-pack and dominican cooking to come and program this thing for me.

When they are done, send them my way. Steve just helped me port forward mine the other day, I'm adding things every couple of weeks.

That's a nice looking heater, I may follow in your footsteps, having had a heater malfunction is no fun for anybody.

Its not that hard, heh, just a beer and empanada should do it.

Actually, on the email outlet add a statement like

If Temp < 75 Then On

And it will email you, assuming you have the SMTP settings right.

When they are done, send them my way. Steve just helped me port forward mine the other day, I'm adding things every couple of weeks.

That's a nice looking heater, I may follow in your footsteps, having had a heater malfunction is no fun for anybody.

well that's really nice of steve now, isn't it? i'm not at the stage where i'm adding anything as everything is still new in boxes stacked up by my fireplace.

and no it isn't. felt bad for my little fishies in her tank dealing with that for so long but you wouldn't know it except for a basslet in the corner. nonetheless, no need for that zapping fun any longer. i'll use titanium or electronically controlled plastic heaters.

Its not that hard, heh, just a beer and empanada should do it.

Actually, on the email outlet add a statement like

If Temp < 75 Then On

And it will email you, assuming you have the SMTP settings right.

alan, this is gibberish. you must think you are talking to someone who has been through the neptune manual thing-a-ma-jig. i tried and passed out leaving a nice drool puddle on my office-printed (mucho pages) neptune bible. i'm quite serious about bribing you/someone to get this thing done.

or maybe fusion will change the world of neptune forever and i won't need as much assistance as i think i will.

well that's really nice of steve now, isn't it? i'm not at the stage where i'm adding anything as everything is still new in boxes stacked up by my fireplace.

Super nice! Honestly, once you dive into everything, it's not as complicated as it seems. Trust me, if Jenn and I were able to figure out the basics, there's no doubt in my mind you'll have your Apex brewing a cup o' Joe and starting your car in the mornings.

Super nice! Honestly, once you dive into everything, it's not as complicated as it seems. Trust me, if Jenn and I were able to figure out the basics, there's no doubt in my mind you'll have your Apex brewing a cup o' Joe and starting your car in the mornings.

pretty farking hilarious and now you got me thinking... :laugh:

So two 800W heaters will be 13.3 Amps. Each one is 6.66A. You will have to use outlets 4 or 8 on the EB8 to drive them, and if you put both on the same EB8 you kind of shouldnt put anything else on there if you intend to run them both at the same time. If you plan to have one as a an emergency if the other fails, so they wont both be on at the same time ever, you can have them both on one.

LOL, I still pull my hair out every now and again with it, but I wouldn't consider running a reef without it. 

Seriously, let me know when you are ready. Read the guide online and RC has a specific forum that is real helpful. 

So two 800W heaters will be 13.3 Amps. Each one is 6.66A. You will have to use outlets 4 or 8 on the EB8 to drive them, and if you put both on the same EB8 you kind of shouldnt put anything else on there if you intend to run them both at the same time. If you plan to have one as a an emergency if the other fails, so they wont both be on at the same time ever, you can have them both on one.

thanks for the information. i'll rely on you for "what the heck are you doing?!" mumbo jumbo like that. i plan to use one as it supposedly works incredibly fast and i doubt i'll need much heating as it is. the 2nd will be a back up at this point. so i can use that daisy chain thing to split one EB8 outlet 4 or 8 into two for each heater? or i have one heater i guess in 4 and the other in 8 so i can control each independently?

LOL, I still pull my hair out every now and again with it, but I wouldn't consider running a reef without it. 

Seriously, let me know when you are ready. Read the guide online and RC has a specific forum that is real helpful. 

will do sir. thanks a ton!

thanks for the information. i'll rely on you for "what the heck are you doing?!" mumbo jumbo like that. i plan to use one as it supposedly works incredibly fast and i doubt i'll need much heating as it is. the 2nd will be a back up at this point. so i can use that daisy chain thing to split one EB8 outlet 4 or 8 into two for each heater? or i have one heater i guess in 4 and the other in 8 so i can control each independently?

Don't put 2 on one outlet.  Outlets 1-3 and 5-7 can only handle 5 amps or 600W max.  Outlets 4 and 8 can handle 10 amps or 1200W max.  And the entire strip can do 15 amps.  I assume you have multiple 20A circuits run to the fish room? 

Do you just have the one EB8 or multiples?

Or I can build you a little box like mine where you can run them on any of the outlets by powering the actual heater from the wall and putting an AC switching solid state relay rated for higher load amperage on the Apex outlet.  I did that because I wanted the EB8 to be powered by a UPS which couldn't handle the power that the heaters were using.  I was able to move the heater off the UPS and keep things like powerheads and return pump powered by the UPS in the event of a power event. 

Don't put 2 on one outlet.  Outlets 1-3 and 5-7 can only handle 5 amps or 600W max.  Outlets 4 and 8 can handle 10 amps or 1200W max.  And the entire strip can do 15 amps.  I assume you have multiple 20A circuits run to the fish room? 

Do you just have the one EB8 or multiples?

Or I can build you a little box like mine where you can run them on any of the outlets by powering the actual heater from the wall and putting an AC switching solid state relay rated for higher load amperage on the Apex outlet.  I did that because I wanted the EB8 to be powered by a UPS which couldn't handle the power that the heaters were using.  I was able to move the heater off the UPS and keep things like powerheads and return pump powered by the UPS in the event of a power event. 

this is awesome. learning all kinds of goodness.

i have four, maybe three 20A circuit to the fish room. shucks, i don't recall but i have it written in our electrical drawings. pretty sure it's three.

i have three EB8s at present.

see and there you go with the smarty pants talk. that time you lost me. i remember reading in your thread about that box and it sounded smart and looks like a back to the future flux capacitor in person when i was over last. i'll review your descriptions and photos once more to see if it will be helpful ;)

Have you planned which circuits the stuff will go on?  Seems like you got plenty of EB8 to go around. 

You should sneak a nice big rackmount UPS into your subie's trunk at work some day and plug one EB8 into it and put stuff that has to run in an outage on that one.

Have you planned which circuits the stuff will go on?  Seems like you got plenty of EB8 to go around. 

You should sneak a nice big rackmount UPS into your subie's trunk at work some day and plug one EB8 into it and put stuff that has to run in an outage on that one.

mmmm, kind of.. i have two circuits (one for each double gang) going to two double-gang boxes under the stand then there's one or two to three double-dangs in the ceiling. ah, then there's another outside the fish room for the chiller on it's own circuit around the way of the basement that has the plumbing set to it already where the previous chiller was.

i'll see what i can find at work. we have a lot of neat tech but most is over my head in understanding how to use them properly. a UPS i think i can handle, though, haha. i have a generac 20kw i planned to install as well so i dont know if it's really necessary or maybe it is so at the exact moment power goes out for those 5 seconds during the transfer i get a warning just as a heads up?